Elvas Tower: Steam Locomotive Additional Features - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Locomotive Additional Features Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 February 2023 - 06:06 AM

Is it good candidate.
http://www.elvastowe...attach_id=92793

#52 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 February 2023 - 06:28 PM

View PostWeter, on 05 February 2023 - 06:06 AM, said:

Yes! Though I haven't seen this model's creator (midneguy) on the boards lately...

In the case of tender boosters, I was looking on the train-sim.com file library for an old Camelback 2-8-0 model that we can retrofit with the booster functionality (and reletter for D&H), but alas, none of the available Camelbacks have a 2-8-0 wheel arrangement.

I would also like to add that we should also add provisions for booster steam gauges--essentially the same as a steam chest pressure gauge but it only shows the steam pressure in the booster's intake line. Here is one example. Perhaps label it "ORTS_BOOSTER_PRESS" in the .cvf files?

#53 User is online   Weter 

Posted 06 February 2023 - 06:47 AM

This author have created many of very good models, which we can see in ET library.

#54 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 February 2023 - 05:20 AM

I have recently been in contact with Derek (midneguy) and he has decided to quit doing models for the foreseeable future and taking a break.

There are many reason he told me for doing so but he did let me know that he may pop on here some day and check out what is going on so he can get back up to speed with things. This does not mean however he will get back into modeling.

I am sure he would be willing to let us use his CB&Q hudson for testing purposes. He did tell me anyone is able to use his models as they are free and wants to keep them that way so we can use them for testing if we would like. Another one of his models we could use for testing is FRISCO 1522 as it also has a booster on it.

I hope this clears some things up for some as to why he has not been on for awhile.

Brandon

#55 User is online   Weter 

Posted 04 March 2023 - 09:07 PM

And another famous candidate for development trailing-truck boosters equipped model:
http://www.elvastowe...ders-and-crews/

#56 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 April 2023 - 09:45 PM

As a bit of a teaser, I am hoping to add a patch to the Unstable version of OR in May that will allow the configuration of Duplex engines, and steam booster engines fitted to the locomotive.

Below are two screenshots demonstrating the use of multiple engines on a steam locomotive.

The test model that has been created is based upon the PRR T1 which was a duplex locomotive, and one of the units had a steam booster engine fitted to the trailing bogie of the locomotive.

Looking at the screenshots, the three separate engines can be seen in the Advanced HuD. The first screenshot shows the booster turned off, and the second screenshot shows the booster contributing TE to the locomotive.

This patch has required extensive changes to the steam locomotive code, so it will require careful checking once it is released.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: multi-engine_no_force.jpg
  • Attached Image: multi-engine_force.jpg

#57 User is offline   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 02 April 2023 - 10:45 AM

That would be !cool!

#58 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 03 April 2023 - 04:06 AM

Hi Peter,

Looking good - thanks for all your efforts. It will certainly be interesting how this all shakes out.

:)

Regards,
Scott

#59 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:17 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 01 April 2023 - 09:45 PM, said:

As a bit of a teaser, I am hoping to add a patch to the Unstable version of OR in May that will allow the configuration of Duplex engines, and steam booster engines fitted to the locomotive.

Below are two screenshots demonstrating the use of multiple engines on a steam locomotive.

The test model that has been created is based upon the PRR T1 which was a duplex locomotive, and one of the units had a steam booster engine fitted to the trailing bogie of the locomotive.

Looking at the screenshots, the three separate engines can be seen in the Advanced HuD. The first screenshot shows the booster turned off, and the second screenshot shows the booster contributing TE to the locomotive.

This patch has required extensive changes to the steam locomotive code, so it will require careful checking once it is released.

Cool! Now my Challenger can operate more realistically! I was about to submit a proposal for suggestions for articulated and Duplex locomotives, but you've gone ahead and done it!

...Well at least part of it, there's still some other issues we need to address for articulateds, one being illustrated below:
Attached Image: Open Rails 2023-03-17 07-15-18.jpg

...The same problem would need to be addressed for both the front cylinder cock emitters and any front coupler/airhose animation shapes (should I choose to equip the Challenger with any), but that's another story...

#60 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 June 2023 - 10:31 PM

In the latest Unstable version I have released changes to allow multiple steam engines to be added to a locomotive.

NOTE: This is very much a work in progress, and only addresses the physics at the moment. Visual and audio effects will follow at a latter stage. Also some parameters in the ENG file may change as development progresses.

To see how it works download the PRR T1 from my site and give it a go. The T1 has been configured with three steam engines, the two duplex ones, and a steam booster.

These changes required a significant change to the steam code so it is possible that some bugs may have been introduced. If you think that you have found a bug, then test with the appropriate CTN model, and then bring it to my attention so that I can debug it.

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users