• You cannot reply to this topic

"New" Trackviewer.... Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   ErieBerkshireFan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:40 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 04 January 2022 - 06:35 PM, said:

Yes, the code. As in what you get when you work in C# programming language.

<Admin Comment>
Please refrain from such ultra short posts that are essentially nothing but reaction text, (e.g., "Wow!" and/or "uh ok...."). I'm tired of reading the complaints about it. Say something people want to read. Try some screenshots. Got a serious question to ask? Ask it. Got an answer that hasn't already been posted? Post it. Nobody wants to read reaction text. Think before writing. You'll eventually figure out how to participate as well as anyone else

Thanks' for the tip! I will try to post better next time. I promise, Okay?

#32 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:39 PM

Gentlemen, I'm very interested in this topic, so I'm waiting for updates every time, I'm back to ET.
So, you can trust me: I'm very surprised to see this chat about manners and right behavior here.
I'm very offended, with that fact, that rather answering my question at another thread, which I follow, I see whole quotation of mine previous post, (it makes space) with a brief advice to me, which Indicates, that quoted text even wasn't read till the end.
I understand, if the goal is to gain 50 posts, But respect other participants, please. Yesterday I've seen 45 updated threads: All, or nearly all of them were continued with similar posts: huge quotation of someone's post, with mostly useless brief comment below.
After all, there is "delete" button, not only "reply". At last, you can answer, starting new post, then add quotation of only those words, you want to reply to.
And very last one: 50 posts might mean nothing. The access to download ability is owner of site's decision.
Obey board rules, please; read instructions, how to use board's interface and don't load moderators with cleaning-up your "art".

#33 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:22 PM

Any updates regarding this? The task of putting together an activity in OR is far too cumbersome and requires a number of third party tools. A simple MSTS style AE editor using the trackviewer as a base would be a Godsend. For those who want to edit their activities in the 3d space Goku's editor of course would still be suitable for that. For all of it's numerous faults MSTS got the activity editor right. Well, the concept anyway. Railworks/TS introducing it's 3d space only "scenario editor" made things ridiculously complicated and you don't even get great activities from it. Sometimes you have to KISS. Anyway, we NEED a proper OR based activity editor.

#34 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 05 August 2022 - 11:28 PM

Well said.
About a week or two back, Barry appeared on ET and noted, by the way, that he's still dealing with this project.
I hope, next time, when he'll be here, he could say for himself; and what for us: let's state, we're still interested.

#35 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:26 PM

all,

things are progressing.....one of the ....not necessarily an issue with current trackview, however....things when digging into the code of trackview....is that it tends to load, then reload, then reload again objects...such as a path....we are looking at utilizing as much of existing model definitions within ORTS to better streamline the code and make is more efficient to be able to handle larger routes.....

with respect to Activity Editor....we've found a prototype version that was developed against a very early version of OR...and this is forming the basis of a "new" Activity Editor. I've managed to get the prototype "sort-of" working when I can follow in the code what exactly is going on. Included in this AE is a playback feature in 2d that allows the activity to be played back in real time or in 2x, 4x, 8x time to see how the activity plays with all the traffic. I have a whole list of "improvements/enhancements" that have been discussed in several threads on the forums here.

Having said all that...progress of the last 2 weeks has been slowed way down as my wife had Knee Replacement Surgery, so I became the "nurse/PT/Medications destributor...etc" over the last two weeks. hopefully next week (she see's the surgeon on Monday, first post surgery visit) things get back to a little closer to normal allowing me to get back to the code....I'll try to post a video of Playback on the prototype in action then.....

still here and working

Barry

#36 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:02 PM

Good luck, then.
Video would be very interesting intrigue.
That's cool!

#37 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:08 PM

Thanks much for the update Barry and for your generosity and time...however, VERY IMPORTANT --- take good care of yourself and loved ones -- first priority always. Best wishes to your wife for a comfortable, healthy and quick recovery. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

#38 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 08 September 2022 - 04:37 PM

Time for an update....(BTW, wife is well on the recovery path from Knee Replacement Surgery so that has freed up my time somewhat to look at code again....)

Work continues on the "new" TrackViewer. Couple of things.....We can now plot paths....working on more details of this such as directions etc. but work continues...

on the Activity Editor...As I said last time we've gotten a copy of an activity editor that was built in a very early version of Open Rails. using this as sort of a starting point / requirements view...give insights into the effort required. the more you dig into things like Activity Editors...you continually go down different paths trying to figure out things......

I've also been reviewing the forums here on ET....there are lots of threads that start...on a particular subject then get diverted into other conversations...All are important information, but extracting nuggets as requirements is somewhat tedious but like I said all good.....

When your dealing with Activities....your dealing with Services, traffic, paths, consists, "Loose Consists" (really hate that term) So it really comes down to where do you start....So I picked a place to at least start....

There was a Thread started by James Ross back in 2017 about an ORTS Consist Editor. This was shortly before or around the same time as TSRE started showind up.....anyway Reading through that thread and it goes off into some discussions about content management and others...but there are a few nuggets in there...interesting if you look up the roadmap for this item it was proposed to be in release 1.5 or so.... I decided that as a starting point to looking at Activities, that I would prototype a consist editor within the framework of ORTS...use the models and methods already defined as part of this effort. Also...Because ORTS is now MonoGame based....I wanted to take advantage of that infrastructure. along those lines I found a MonoGame windows UI framework...so I decided to play around a bit...the video is about a week of figuring out UI. I decided to use the layout that TSRE uses as a basic layout....it's not much but it's a start....This is all MonoGame. the basic window is user adjustable....I had it spread over three screens at one time...hitting the square at the right top opens it to full screen size... The about window shows the UI version I'm using MYRA 1.4.3 the View is the start of setting up a user configurable screen where the user can define the various components of Consist Editing....and the Select Menu under Route Opens a route selection window similar to what you see in TSRE. I call it Toolbox-Yard Office....

https://rumble.com/v...pe-windows.html (The video is only about 35 seconds or so...)

Anyway....that's the progress report....for this time....

later

Amtrak115
AKA Barry LeBoeuf

#39 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:08 PM

WRT hating loose consists, just use .con files and don't waste your time coding whatever methods might be needed to look up and record individual cars.

#40 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:38 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 08 September 2022 - 05:08 PM, said:

WRT hating loose consists, just use .con files and don't waste your time coding whatever methods might be needed to look up and record individual cars.

In the activities that I've built...using TSRE all are .con files...but if you load up an activity built before TSRE....the only distinguishing thing about a loose consist is the id number from the the activity file. you can edit those....but without a view of where they set on the siding....adding cars to one of those can cause issues. One of the things on my list of improvement for Activity editor is being able to use a 2d layout like trackviewer to place the consists on the sidings exactly where you want them , and it I get my way,,, I'll see the outline or a flat representation of the structures next to the siding so I know where the consist is relative to the trackside structure...anyway....

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users