• You cannot reply to this topic

Manual Cover Image Time for a new one Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:30 AM

Now that Stable Version 1.4 has been published, how about renewing the image on the front cover of the Open Rails Manual?

The current image has done duty since Nov 2018 - nearly 3 years.

Attached Image: 2021-10-23 19_18_08-OpenRails-Testing-Manual.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg

The present image is 480 x 320 pixels. These proportions work well but higher resolution would be better, I think.

Can we have some recommendations, please, for a replacement? Whose work do you admire? (If we have several, perhaps we can take a vote.)

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:09 AM

Hi Chris,

How about using some of those new high resolution - shadowed - ORTS logos I created? I'd like to contribute SOMETHING to ORTS.
:)

There's a transparent PNG in the attached file that removes the white background for posting on any image.

Attached Image: SCO_Logo.jpg

Public Domain
Attached File  SCO_ORTS_Logo2.zip (767.49K)
Number of downloads: 168

Since it's for OPEN Rails - I think the box around Open Rails should always be - - - open (relative to the positioning on the artwork) - like this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49562479152_27deb2f5ea_o.pngPOV43 by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:13 AM

Hi Chris,

I'd also involve Neil on TrainSim as he takes some of the absolute BEST screenshots I've ever seen in Open Rails.

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is online   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:35 PM

Maybe something besides just class 1.

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

cjakeman, on 23 October 2021 - 10:30 AM, said:

Now that Stable Version 1.4 has been published, how about renewing the image on the front cover of the Open Rails Manual?

The current image has done duty since Nov 2018 - nearly 3 years.

The present image is 480 x 320 pixels. These proportions work well but higher resolution would be better, I think.

Can we have some recommendations, please, for a replacement? Whose work do you admire? (If we have several, perhaps we can take a vote.)

Yes, would be appropriate...I favor Scott's general layout ( post #3 ) - however, something with enough track and space in it for --- let's say --- all high quality/detail

1. Steam locomotive
2. Early Diesel ( Fairbanks Morse, Alco, etc )
3. Modern European Passenger Locomotive
4. Modern Diesel ( maybe a Dash9 as a nod to MSTS )
5. IR Diesel
6. UK Diesel ( modern or early? )

Would there be room for early narrow guage steam engine?

Route Track layout should be well done...anyone got a generic RoundHouse to pose them in front of? OR Drone shot of Roundhouse with locomotives.
I know I left some folks out ... other European Nations [ Italy, Hungary, Czecho-Slovakia, France, etc.], Russia. China, Mexico, South America...hmm...who else?
We would have to make a cut at some point just with regard to space and elegant design elements.
I'd like to see as many nations represented as possible. Hold an open invite for models to be included?

For immediate action...I vote to have one of Scott's new OR logos for the OR loading screen before the routes load.ace appears...I use it all the time...time for an update?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: ORLOGO.jpg

#6 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:50 AM

Hi Gerry,

In the bigger scheme of things - the logo matters little - but to me - using the graphic you posted for the Open Rails desktop icon and the load screen - just makes Open Rails "feel" a little more professional and 2021. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I can contribute both to the cause if desired.

Attached Image: Capture.JPG

I gave this some thought - instead of picking one specific niche at the risk of alienating those unrepresented - I chose one of Neil's images (with permission) to represent a more "any railroad" flavor. Granted it has signals but it could be virtually anywhere over a wide time period. Neil's talent clearly displays Open Rails in all its glory.

Honestly - if anyone works on the Open Rails website - we should be choosing the best of the best images globally to post there - many of the current crop don't do Open Rails justice.

Anyway - here's my suggestion (pretty quick and dirty) - if deemed acceptable - I just need to let Neil know which image we are using and he gave his blessing.

I can make it larger with higher resolution but the image Chris posted initially was pretty small. I kept the proportions the same and I can modify whatever is needed. I thought the carbon fiber background would make a nice touch.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51625681804_04f65f953e_o.jpgORTS Cover by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
Scott

#7 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:39 AM

Perhaps a different image could be used for each chapter, maybe with a tie-in to the contents of the chapter - say, a mid-train shot for Physics, maybe a busy yard/station scene for Activities and/or timetables, a 3D cab shot for Train Operation, and maybe a good scenery shot like Neil's for Route Features. Mind you, I actually haven't looked at the Manual in a while, so these examples may not actually line up with real chapters.

The front image, though, ought to be something more neutral, or intentionally global (I like the idea of the round house with power from around the World). Perhaps a contest somewhere, with a vote among users?

#8 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:49 AM

@ Scott
Complete work, masterpiece...
Impression of painting
what to say

Maybe...
Turn one of that signals green - that would symbolize HOPE and future
while, both red are... how to say... you know?

@ Travis
I like idea of multiple images:
Maybe background or watermarks?
Though, it will inflate 28MB *.pdf to 100?

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:38 AM

scottb613, on 24 October 2021 - 05:50 AM, said:

Hi Gerry,

In the bigger scheme of things - the logo matters little - but to me - using the graphic you posted for the Open Rails desktop icon and the load screen - just makes Open Rails "feel" a little more professional and 2021. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I can contribute both to the cause if desired.
Agree

scottb613, on 24 October 2021 - 05:50 AM, said:

I gave this some thought - instead of picking one specific niche at the risk of alienating those unrepresented - I chose one of Neil's images (with permission) to represent a more "any railroad" flavor. Granted it has signals but it could be virtually anywhere over a wide time period. Neil's talent clearly displays Open Rails in all its glory.

Honestly - if anyone works on the Open Rails website - we should be choosing the best of the best images globally to post there - many of the current crop don't do Open Rails justice.

Anyway - here's my suggestion (pretty quick and dirty) - if deemed acceptable - I just need to let Neil know which image we are using and he gave his blessing.

I can make it larger with higher resolution but the image Chris posted initially was pretty small. I kept the proportions the same and I can modify whatever is needed. I thought the carbon fiber background would make a nice touch.

ORTS Cover by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
Scott

Oh Geeze much better...that road could be anywhere...and it conveys the feeling of "Open Rails" and has the advantage of non-alienation -- eggcellent!

Overall in agreement with your post.

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:46 AM

ebnertra000, on 24 October 2021 - 06:39 AM, said:

Perhaps a different image could be used for each chapter, maybe with a tie-in to the contents of the chapter - say, a mid-train shot for Physics, maybe a busy yard/station scene for Activities and/or timetables, a 3D cab shot for Train Operation, and maybe a good scenery shot like Neil's for Route Features. Mind you, I actually haven't looked at the Manual in a while, so these examples may not actually line up with real chapters.

The front image, though, ought to be something more neutral, or intentionally global (I like the idea of the round house with power from around the World). Perhaps a contest somewhere, with a vote among users?

Referring the the different images for each chapter ... Yes, that way we could still use some of the locomotives I mentioned. Although I do like my idea about the roundhouse, critically I think that Scott's idea better conveys the feeling of Open Rails...some of Neils images are truly wonderful in that regard. Track in Open country side anywhere in the world.
So a couple of good ideas to bounce around.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users