Elvas Tower: Unpowered Control Trailer - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unpowered Control Trailer Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:55 PM

Postscript

While formulating the answer, I noticed that my previous post was misleading because I was looking at a bad example. Instead of the NTC-725-Powered file, I should have looked at the NTC-725 file where the value of the Type parameter in the Engine section is "Control".

That is why I apologize. Please disregard my post # 3.

Now I can start all over again, but that's how I learn.

Laci 1959

#12 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 September 2021 - 01:32 AM

I understand. The Type () parameter is therefore distinguished by the place of use
Wagon section (as car type):
Type (Engine)
Type (Carriage)
Type (Freight)
Type (Tender)

Engine section (as drive type):
Type (Electric)
Type (Diesel)
Type (Steam)
Type (Control) - new type

#13 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:12 AM

Unfortunately, some control controls do not work
It is primarily a function of "Diesel engines stopped after startup".
Then new features:
ORTSBattery ()
ORTSMasterKey ()
ORTSElectricTrainSupply ()
The driving car must be started by going to its cab (CTRL + E). Therefore, the complete remote control of the drive car does not work.
I discovered another error with the combined controller. When applying the brake (air is blended with dynamic) it is not possible to release the brakes.

For testing purposes, I provide a complete set - control car + inserted car + driving car series 942, 043 and 843 ČD (Czech Railways). Download option - slow (turtle symbol)

#14 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:40 AM

The driving car must be started by going to its cab (CTRL + E). Therefore, the complete remote control of the drive car does not work.

This type is dependent.
We also have a control car from which the engine of the locomotive at the rear cannot be started. The driver first goes to the locomotive, starts it and then goes to the control car.
Once I realized it, it was no longer a problem.
Maybe it should be made optional?

#15 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:59 AM

However, some rolling stock have complete controls (plus gauges and indicators) to start/stop engines on the ride (and monitoring their parameters), in dependence of load or track grade. Both diesel-trains or multiple unit/sectional locomotives.

#16 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:15 PM

Lamplighter, on 07 September 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

Unfortunately, some control controls do not work
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not 100% sure which controls that you are referring to.

This project was initially a "proof of concept", and therefore is a work in progress. Basic control functionality has been incorporated into the control car, but it sounds like it that needs more added to it.

Given that the release of v1.4 is due to be released, there will probably be no further changes done in the short term.

I have updated another test version as per the link on the first post.

Then new features:ORTSBattery ()
ORTSMasterKey ()
ORTSElectricTrainSupply ()

The ETS is (to me) very complex coding, and hence at the moment I don't fully understand it, hence unfortunately ETS capability may not be added in the near future.

I suspect that this is related to the non operational ETS system. If the ETS parameters are removed from the ENG file, it will probably start as soon as the train is loaded.

I discovered another error with the combined controller. When applying the brake (air is blended with dynamic) it is not possible to release the brakes.

For testing purposes, I provide a complete set - control car + inserted car + driving car series 942, 043 and 843 ČD (Czech Railways). Download option - slow (turtle symbol)

I will try and have a look at that once v1.4 has been released.

#17 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:42 PM

For testing purposes, I provide a complete set - control car + inserted car + driving car series 942, 043 and 843 CD (Czech Railways). Download option - slow (turtle symbol)

Dynamic braking has not yet been looked at. As Peter says it is a work in progress.

I have not yet been able to test ETS on/off on any train - I think it should be Alt+B but nothing seems to turn it on or off for me. Also when I have a train that does not have ETS (such as a train with steam heating or no heating at all) the extended HuD still shows ETS on.

So far we have a model of a diesel powered train that can be driven from a control train. There is a working throttle, brake, reverser and headlights (also I think sanders, but may need to recheck). RPM can be read from the motor car.

Not yet considered are:

Electric trains
Steam trains
Diesel trains with manual gear change
Ammeters
Dynamic brakes
Boiler pressure
Engine start/stop
ETS - train heating etc...

Some of these may work already, others will not.

#18 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:12 PM

Of course, every development takes time.
I appreciate the fact that the control car is designed as a separate type.
Until now, a special setting (zero power) had worked for the control car. But even such a solution has its flies.
I will be happy to follow further developments.

#19 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:38 AM

steamer_ctn, on 07 September 2021 - 06:15 PM, said:

Given that the release of v1.4 is due to be released, there will probably be no further changes done in the short term.

Now that we have a Git branch called release/1.4, developers can direct their bug-fixes to that branch - as James sets out here.

Meanwhile developers can continue work on new features without interruption in the usual manner. We didn't have this capability in previous releases.

#20 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:37 PM

Hello.

I did a two rehearsals with the control car. I have experienced the following:
1. There is no feedback on the slip. There is a lamp that should light up (WHEELSLIP MULTI_STATE_DISPLAY) and then speed (RPM) should also jump suddenly (RPM DIAL). This is not visible on the locomotive either. Then maybe it's not a mistake. You don't hear that characteristic sound either.
2. The ORTS_DIESEL_TEMPERATURE DIAL and the ORTS_OIL_PRESSURE DIAL do not work. This would be important information about the condition of the locomotive at the rear.

The ones listed in the second point would also come in handy on some attached locomotives. These instruments of the second machine would also be available on the first machine. Thus, the driver is also informed about the status of the second locomotive. The locomotive has an ORTSDieselEngines block and an ORTSTractionCharacteristics table. It maintains the speed (RPM). Unfortunately, I don't see the torque.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users