Elvas Tower: Automatic panto switch operation - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic panto switch operation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:15 AM

I'm developing the TCS for a HST; in Italy it can run under 3kVDC and under 25kVAC. Switching from DC to AC occurs in special sections of the HS routes, called POC. When the train reaches a POC, the risen pantos are automatically lowered and the circuit breaker opens. When the POC has been passed the train driver moves a tension selector from one position to the other, authorizing rise of the pantos dedicated to the new tension. Such pantos however rise only if the train has fully passed the POC. This way no disasters can occur if the driver does not operate correctly. If the driver reacts too late, the train will run by inertia until the driver switches the selector. After the new panto has risen, the circuit breaker is automatically closed.
Now on the question: the script management code has a SetPantographsDown script hook that is OK to lower pantos, but doesn't have the script hook to rise them (neither it has a hook to read panto states, that might be useful).
It wouldn't be difficult to add something like
                Script.SetPantograph = (pantoCommand, pantoID) => Locomotive.Train.SignalEvent(pantoCommand, pantoID);

however I have read that Peter is working on this, and so I don't want to do things so that I have to change the script later. However I would like to have the possibility to implement the functionality now. So: is there a way for me to generate the hook in a way that the scripts won't have to be changed when Peter's modifications (that if I understand correctly put under possible control of the TCS all commands to the locomotive and allow to read all loco states) become part of OR?

By the way as an extension of this feature new ORTSxxx parameters could be inserted in the .eng file (or maybe also in the .trk file) that allow to describe the various power supply environments where the loco operates. At the moment I don't envisage this.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:23 AM

Setting pantographs state is now possible with the OR_NewYear_MG branch (not yet in a build) and with the OR unstable release.
With the script I am developing the automatic pantograph switch is now operating.

#3 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

Well done. That sounds like good stuff.

Is it just Pan1 down Pan2 up so far though - with a bit of coasting in the dead section - or could there be a way to change from 3kV performance to 25kV performance?

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

At the moment it's a bit more than Pan1 down - Pan3 up (the TCS already states which voltage is present), but I'm just thinking how to evolve from that, see this http://www.elvastowe...nd-locomotives/ newly opened thread.

#5 User is offline   Howky 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:39 AM

Are you planning Manual voltage selection?

Czech locomotives have control see picture.

Attached Image: 1.jpg

#6 User is offline   Howky 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:43 AM

and will also be extended to indicators?

Attached Image: 2.jpg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users