Elvas Tower: Multi-voltage routes and locomotives - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multi-voltage routes and locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:06 PM

I'd like to setup in OR a framework to manage multi-voltage routes and electric locos, without proposing by the moment a solution to determine which line voltage is present in a specific route point and where the transition points are.

.trk file:
Now only one value can be defined, with parameter
MaxLineVoltage ( Voltage )
A block is proposed, defined as
ORTSTractionSystems ( n
ORTSTractionSystem ( )
ORTSTractionSystem ( )
)
where the parameter can have a set of values, among them
Unfitted (for non-electrified route sections)
AC25kV,
AC15kV,
DC3000V,
DC1500V,
DC750V
These are the values being introduced by CésarBL into the ETCS code.

.eng file:
A block of this type is present, listing the traction systems supported by the locomotive:

ORTSTractionSystemsSupported ( n
ORTSTractionSystem ( )
ORTSTractionSystem ( )
)
A similar block exists for each pantograph (pantographs might support more than one Traction System).

For each supported traction system a block is present where the physical characteristics of the locomotive under that specific traction system are described, like MaxPower and so on (also traction curves could be there)

A variable ActualTractionSystem, which is set by the TCS script, defines which traction system is active in that route section. Pantographs not compatible with that traction system should not be allowed to rise.

In the real HST I am working on, there is also another feature: when you move a switch to raise or lower a pantograph, the physical pantograph risen or lowered depends from the actual traction system. So, under 25kV, a panto is moved, while under 3kV this occurs to another one (with the same cab switch).

So for this trainset also in OR the commands to rise and lower pantographs should be passed to the correct pantograph, accordingly to the actual traction system.
Therefore in general panto commands should be passed to a script (maybe the Electric Power Supply script) which decides if and which panto to move.
Passing this to a script allows also to manage locomotives with special conditions (e/g. no Panto1-Panto2 swap in rear cab).

Of course a default mode would be present when this is additional info is not available.
Moreover the option (Override non-electrified...) would be extended to optionally disable all these checks.

Re how to define which traction system is active on a route, at the moment I think that it is not possible to write a general rule, because this would require additions to the route-related data. So it is left to the specific TCS script to state that. In my case I'm using INFO signals at the transition points, so the TCS script can set correctly the ActualTractionSystem variable. But it isn't probably the only way, so this is left to the developer of the TCS script.

This is a very rough description written in short time. Contributions welcome before I start doing something.

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:06 PM

Track section ID from *.tdb?
Actually, I know 2 ways to change a system: on stretch (looks like Carlo described) and junction-stations, where special (now remote-controlled) HV switches connect contact wire above given track to one or another power supply (-3/~25kV) so the train is stationary, or maybe even the loco change takes place there.
AC uncoupled and moves-out; power system changes; DC moves in and coupled.

#3 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:11 AM

I understand the voltage in the * .tdb, both for the track sections and also in connection with, for example, the "correct voltage voltage" on your volt meter. (Cab) as it works now.

If you can indicate the "transition points" in some way in an - existing - route, such as "speedsign / Soundregions" [Interactives], then you have all the 'freedom' to create this.
You can then make a voltage lock (25KV - - 3KV), so a passing point, or as referred to above a 'border station' (25KV only -- 25KV / 3KV -- 3KV only).
This of course as an idea, don't know if it is possible in OR. But I think a kind of "special info signals" should work too?

The whole idea is very beautiful! :)

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:43 AM

This is exciting stuff.

There are two scenarios that I think might be challenging / interesting to consider.

1. SNCF Lignes classiques 25kV / LGV 25kV - in this case interesting because although the line voltage is the same the performance characteristics are different due to the trains being permitted to draw a higher current on the LGV. I can not remember at the moment how this works in terms of controller and pantographs.

2. LSWR / SR / BR third rail - in reality the nominal 750 V dc now varies between 660 V and 850 V depending on locations - same trains, some pick up shoes, simple dc traction (at least on older stock) means that you get better performance when you are on a higher voltage section. Original electrification was at 600 V the same as the London Underground at that time. This was for many years the standard for the inner suburban lines around London. The outer parts of the main line routes to Brighton and Portsmouth were electrified at 660 V. (So trains moved from 600 V, or later 630 V in the London area to 660 V outside.) The older rolling stock was operated at maximum 660 V. As newer trains were introduced in the 1950s and 1960s the voltage was increased to 750 V in the outer areas, but any London area lines shared with Underground trains or with older trains were at 630 V which was the later standard for the Underground. On the extension to Southampton and Bournemouth the third rail was energised at 850 V - giving maximum performance from the new 100 mph trains. Today the Underground standard has been raised to 750 V, so I am not sure if there are sections around London still operating at lower voltages. It is an interesting thought - no need for different eng files in that case, but if maximum operating voltage was given in eng files perhaps a proportionally reduced power output could be modelled on lower voltage sections.

#5 User is offline   jonInMaine 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:47 AM

Another scenario here in the US and perhaps in some European locations is not only different voltage but also AC frequency. The Amtrak Northeast Corridor has three - 11 KV 25 Hz for the legacy PRR electrification from Washington DC to New York, 12.5 KV 60 Hz from New Rochelle NY to New Haven (controlled by Metro North commuter RR), and 25 KV 60 Hz for the newer installation from New Haven to Boston. I believe Europe still has some 15 KV 16 2/3 Hz installations. I bring this up because there can be equipment that might handle the different voltages but not the frequency change and therefore might be restricted where it can operate, for example Metro North M8 EMUs that could theoretically handle the 11 KV but will only operate on 60 Hz and thus could not operate South of New Rochelle NY.

#6 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

I just mean, that the "track section#x" can be defined as a border of electrification systems at stratch. Or as the dead(neutral) section.
Certainly, the implementing of working border(thank to QJ-6811 for correct epithet) station track's katenary(switchable) is another and more complex thing.

#7 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

View PostjonInMaine, on 25 November 2020 - 04:47 AM, said:

[...] I believe Europe still has some 15 KV 16 2/3 Hz installations. [...]

Yup, the whole of Germany and my home-country of Austria still use this system.

Cheers, Markus

#8 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:14 PM

Switzerland as well-see BT route

#9 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:36 AM

I am not sure if this helps to think about the problem of choices in game.

This is an example with a steam locomotive - changing headlamps.

It could be an electric locomotive changing voltages or a bi-mode loco switching from electric to diesel operation or for changing braking performance when switching from goods braking mode to passenger braking mode.

It is very crude at the moment - you need to save and close an activity, edit the eng file and open the activity again.

So below is an eng file for a locomotive

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

Wagon ( LMS_10417

Type ( Engine )
WagonShape ( LMS_10417.s )

Include ( Locomotives\\Wagon_10400.inc )

Include ( Locomotives\\Lights_10400.inc )

ORTSFreightAnims (

FreightAnimStatic (
  SubType( Default )
  Shape( "..\\common.crew\\Steam_Crew\\driver01.s" )
  Offset( 0.95, 1.68, 5.06 ))

FreightAnimStatic (
  SubType( Default )
  Shape( "..\\common.crew\\Steam_Crew\\fireman01.s" )
  Offset( 0, 1.44, 5.30 )) )

Include ( Headcodes\\Loco_10400_Class7.inc )

Sound ( "..\\..\\common.sound\\Dampf_Sound\\2c_01_Eng.sms"  )

)

Engine ( LMS_10417

Include ( Locomotives\\Engine_10400.inc )

CabView ( "..\\..\\common.cab\\LYR_Hughes\\LYR01.cvf" )
HeadOut (  -1.4 2.9 -5.1 )
Sound ( "..\\..\\common.sound\\Dampf_Sound\\2c_01_cab.sms"  )

Description ( "LYR/LMS Hughes 5P 4-6-0.\n"+ )

EngineOperatingProcedures ( " " )

)

To begin with the loco, starting in the yard, is carrying Class 7 (light engine) headlamps. There would also need to be a tail lamp on the tender.

The include statement Include ( Headcodes\\Loco_10400_Class7.inc ) could include both the physical models of the headlamps and light effects for a flickering oil lamp.

When the loco is attached to its train, save exit and edit the eng file to change the headlamps.

Now we can place Class 1 (express passenger) headlamps on the model by editing the include statement to read Include ( Headcodes\\Loco_10400_Class1.inc )

(We should also remove the tail lamp from the tender!)

Restore the saved activity in OR - only the lamps have changed - place, time, weather, fuel, water should all be as before.

With the changing voltage examples the need to change pantograph needs to be added in somewhere.

The question is how to achieve this without the need to save, exit, edit and restore.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users