• You cannot reply to this topic

How to reformat MSTS routes for OR? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:55 PM

Hi everyone.

I am new to the Train sim community, and Elvas Tower as well. I am using Open rails instead of MSTS, but there are several amazing MSTS routes I would like to run in Open Rails, specifically Don Karch's Colorado Midland route. I have made some attempts to reformat the file structure into the structure needed by Open Rails, but this is confusing to me as I don't really know what the purpose of each file is, and where it needs to be placed. Is there an easier way to reformat these routes?

Thanks,

Peter

#2 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:09 PM

What doe you mean "reformat" the file structure. openrails can use the exact same folder and file structure as MSTS.

#3 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

I noticed that when I had the full route, in what I thought to be MSTS structure, I added the folder with all the content to the content option in Open Rails. However, nothing showed up when I selected that route in the Open Rails window. I assumed that it was not showing up because it needed to be in the same file structure as my Open Rails only routes. Is this not the case?

Here is what one of my working routes files look like:

BNSF Scenic Route/
Global
Routes
Trains

Here is what the Colorado Midland Route looks like as downloaded:

Colorado Midland/
thirdPartyDocuments
ACTIVITIES
CONSISTS
ENVFILES
LO_TILES
PATHS
SERVICES
SHAPES
SOUNDS
TD
TERRTEX
TEXTURES
Traffic
WORLD
/Several other files such as tsection.dat/

Thanks,

Peter

#4 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

One thing I am wondering about: Is this everything that would go into the routes folder, requiring me to provide the other files?

#5 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

A few observations and comments.

1. There a many forum posts about using a route without having MSTS installed. Have you read them?
2. While MSTS is not required, some content from them maybe required by the route. Have you all the requirements the route requires?
3. The Open Rails manual details the requirements for a MSTS route but you still may need route specific content.
What route are you trying to use? Other forum users maybe able to help if they have the route.

If it is the Colorado Midland, the folder structure should be left as is (I think...I don't have the route installed on this device) and assuming all other requirements are met, just point your OR liberal's "content" tab to your install location. This is assuming that the folder "ROUTES" is there and the route is within the folder.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

Craig is correct, there are many posts about the subject and they should turn up in a search.

What you are likely to find is that (IIRC) Open rails requires these MSTS directories, along with any subdirectories therein:

\global
\sound
\routes
\trains

populate those foui exactly as you would any MSTS install.

Also, the root folder where you drop those four can be named whatever y9ou like and located wherever is best for y9our PC.

And to be sure, the above is a only a recall. Best to find some firm answers with a search.

#7 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

Thank you for your advice!

In answer to your questions, the route is: The Colorado Midland/C&S South park route by Don Karch, 2019 version by J.H. Sullivan
In addition to several locomotive packs and rolling stock, the route needs Xtracks, and NewRoads, but that is all that is listed in the Readme files.

I had been trying to use this route in the mini-route format, because it does not line up with any of my other routes. However, I will try re-downloading the route to my main content folder, which already has Xtracks and NewRoads installed.

I also have one further question: Can someone tell me where I can find an explanation of what certain groups of files are for, such as the difference between shapes and textures, etc... This would be incredibly helpful in my understanding of how this crucial part of open rails works.

Thanks again,

Peter

#8 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:30 PM

Don't know if there is a definitive dictionary of definitions other that the original Microsoft guide. There might be an internet source.

For the most part (too me) the folder names are self explanatory.

Shapes are the things your see in the route. Trees. Building. Bridges. cars. You name it.
Texture are the 'coating' that given the shape it's look. The steel look of a bridge. The color of the car or truck. The boat its white hull and red waterline.
Trains is the repository for all the engines, freight cars, etc. Within that are the subfolders which are the equivalent of the other folders to give definition to the cars.

#9 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

Thank you for your explanation.

I am sorry to have added this post when there are already other sources, I was just confused because I did not recognize all the sub-directories that I hadn't seen before, and the full extent of what I had downloaded. I did not realize at first that it was intended to have been placed into a content folder as a new route, not as a full mini-route. The route is working fine in my full content folder, now that it is in the correct place.

Thank you for your patience and useful advice,

Peter

#10 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:04 PM

Since you said that you are new to ORTS you may also want to visit Trainsim. They have a vast number of users and therefore a large user forum and library.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users