• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to reformat MSTS routes for OR? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:09 PM

Almost any downloadable route, freeware or payware, will likely extract to the default MSTS folder hierarchy even if is to a non-existent folder. Once extracted, just point ORTS to the folder after you have added the necessary stuff.

#12 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

Thank you, I should have checked TrainSim.com for more information first. That is also where I downloaded this route, so they might have been more familiar with it. However, you were just as helpful! In the future, I will use an example of a completed setup to check and make sure everything is correct, instead of trying to create a new content folder and moving everything.

Thanks for being here to answer my questions.

Peter

#13 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:57 AM

Nobody said what could be the misunderstanding here - because they want to lead you into the tutorials so you have resources available ("teach a man to fish . . . ")

But anyway,

The folder containing the route (all the files you downloaded with it and for some routes files transferred in as well via a .bat routine) goes INTO the ROUTE folder.

So your top level of folders will be ROUTES, TRAINS, GLOBAL and SOUND but the ROUTE folder will contain your route(s) each in their own folder.

It's all filing, really. Simple once you know it. But get it wrong and the program can't find anything.

Christopher

#14 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:29 PM

Peter ! If you have MSTS already installed on a drive and it has all the routes in it then you can just direct ORTS , in the content section to that diectory on that drive and run it as you always did . EXAMPLE -- If you have ORTS on C: and MSTS on G: then in the content section in options of ORTS - add - G:\MSTS and when you select it in ORTS it will have all your routes , rolling stock and activities . You don't have change anything but some of your engine and wagon files to suit yourself .
I'm lazy and it works for me !

#15 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:07 PM

Peter, as an example, this is what I have in E:\bin\
Attached File  Root.jpg (52.9K)
Number of downloads: 2

Each of those folders looks like this:
Attached File  Root2.jpg (10.07K)
Number of downloads: 4

I use the OR contents command to point to each folder in the first picture.

As to why I have done this it is because I'm very particular about making sure all of the rolling stock is the correct age/era. I don't want to be using modern covered hoppers behind a steamer. The beauty of the OR contents feature is you can structure whatever subdivison you want -- by railroad, by country, by era, some combination of things, whatever. I happen to use symbolic links to replicate routes into multiple locations but a simply copy will work just as well.

good luck to you!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users