• You cannot reply to this topic

ENG/WAG Values - The Definitive List ? Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

Hi,
I do not understand why the Exhaust1 (Exhaust2) parameters are only listed as MSTS. Open Rails uses the DieselSpecialEffects parameter and cannot do without the above.

#42 User is online   RR1 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:43 PM

View PostLamplighter, on 12 March 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

Hi,
I do not understand why the Exhaust1 (Exhaust2) parameters are only listed as MSTS. Open Rails uses the DieselSpecialEffects parameter and cannot do without the above.

You are absolutely right, multiple exhausts can be defined with OR. It's a question of how.

There are no input parameters specifically named "Exhaust1" or "Exhaust2". The TokenID.cs listing includes the specific labels "Exhaust1" or "Exhaust2" which don't exist as specific input parameters in OR. The "OR TokenID.cs Comparison" sheet is looking specifically at the original list of MSTS tokens and determining which of these MSTS tokens still exist in OR.

"exhaust" is a new parameter introduced in OR and is present in the "OR Code Parameters" column on sheet "Parameter Comparison".

OR enables multiple exhaust entries in a much better way using this input called "exhaust". In looking closer at how this parameter is read, the statement is "where blah, blah.StartsWith(''exhaust'')", the operative word being "startswith". So as many instances of exhaust can be defined as required. I'm not sure if what follows "exhaust" even needs to be a number. I'll check this out at some point.

I missed this subtlety. Technically "Exhaust1", etc. is an OR parameter but is not directly read as such so I need to find a way to catch any additional instances like this and make sure there is no confusion. "startswith" is also used in MSTSNotchControllers so it looks like a number of "enginebrakescontroller . . ." and "trainbrakescontroller . . . " tokens which are showing up as MSTS only need to be looked at more closely.

Thanks for raising this issue.

#43 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:56 PM

Hi,
I found other parameters used by ORTS but declared as MSTS Only:
Parameters of light settings - Unit, State, Service, Light, HeadLight, Control.
Parameters defining the block - Wagon and Engine.
Driver parameters - DirControls, CylinderCocks (C key), Vigilance (Y key).

DieselEngineType - ORTS may ignore it, but it's good to know if the .eng file setting is for mechanical or electric drive. ORTS can do both.
The same can be said about the type (Chain) coupler. In Europe we set up screw-tensioned three-link coupling and ORTS accepts it.

Finally, there is one parameter originating from MSTS, more precisely MSTS Bin - PantographsToggle_4. This is useless.

#44 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:21 AM

The advantage is to use valid, invalid, and new color syntax parameters in the NotePad++ editor.
Even recently created .eng will show a lot of ballast.

Attached Image: ukazka.jpg

#45 User is online   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:47 AM

View PostLamplighter, on 12 March 2020 - 11:56 PM, said:

Hi,
I found other parameters used by ORTS but declared as MSTS Only:
Parameters of light settings - Unit, State, Service, Light, HeadLight, Control.
Parameters defining the block - Wagon and Engine.
Driver parameters - DirControls, CylinderCocks (C key), Vigilance (Y key).

DieselEngineType - ORTS may ignore it, but it's good to know if the .eng file setting is for mechanical or electric drive. ORTS can do both.
The same can be said about the type (Chain) coupler. In Europe we set up screw-tensioned three-link coupling and ORTS accepts it.

Finally, there is one parameter originating from MSTS, more precisely MSTS Bin - PantographsToggle_4. This is useless.

Thanks. I've found the bug and will issue an update.

#46 User is online   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 14 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

The bug fix reduced the number of "MSTS Only" parameters, however there are "MSTS Only" parameters remaining which refer to parameters not yet included in the analysis, i.e, cab, sound, activity, track etc. internal OR parameters and OR input parameters. These will be included prior to updating the spreadsheet and creating the lists for NotePad++ coloring.

#47 User is online   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

Finally - Version 2 of the Definitive List. I think it is more definitive this time around.

Changes from last time:

1. ALL OR variables are included now. Not just eng/wag. All parameters, tokens, events for all of the files that OR reads.

2. When I say "all" I'm reasonably sure I've captured 99++% of what the OR codes reads or recognizes. I'm not sure that they are all categorized 100% accurately though. I've had to infer a lot of the categorization because it is not necessarily obvious what is going on the code where they are extracted. People who have a lot of experience with many of the file types in question will probably notice some anomalies. Please let me know if you do.

3. The spreadsheet now just contains lists of the results - no gory details.

4. Sheet "One_List" is just that- everything. But you can filter on a bunch of stuff to help narrow the view down to something more manageable.

5. Sheet "Many _Lists" is a filtered set of lists generated from "One_List" that may be useful. Some lists can be used with text editors to do the highlighting of OR parameters.

6. Sheet "Tokens.cs" is the list of MSTS only parameters based on the Tokens.cs class in the OR code. I think it is now correct.

7. Sheet "OR Manual Index" is an index of the parameters which are mentioned in the Manual. The indexing is by section number. The section numbers are the .html section numbers.

8. Sheet "CoalstoNewcastle" contains the parameters covered on that site. I'm not sure how complete these are . . . A number of OR parameters are covered on the site but not (yet) in the OR Manual.

If anyone sees something wildly out of place, please let me know.

I hope some of you find this useful.

Attached File  OR_ParametersV2.7z (203.34K)
Number of downloads: 430

#48 User is online   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

Hi,

I have completed a further update to OR_Parameters.xlsx

The latest version is OR_ParametersV4.xlsx. The content is for the Testing version of the OR code as of Jan 22, 2021. The intent is to keep this up to date.

The spreadsheet will be hosted on OneDrive. Chris Jakeman (cjakeman) will update both the manual and website with this link. OR_Parameters

Some comments. This is a bit of an inexact science. The entire process is automated and one major issue is in differentiating "Parameters" from "Tokens". There is no clear definition of either and no OR coding convention that is 100% foolproof in allowing my parser to infer with 100% accuracy which elements are Parameters and which are Tokens. Easy for people but hard for a computer since context is a major factor in deciding which is which. The basic rule used is (1)anything that the OR Code reads (from an external file) using a "case" statement is a Parameter and (2)anything the OR code reads using "TokenProcessor" is a Token. This actually works most of the time but as an example, every Activity file element is read using "TokenProcessor" so is labelled as a Token in the spreadsheet. There are at least half a dozen other ways inputs are read by the OR code so the distinction between Tokens and Parameters is fuzzy at best.

With just 0ver 2200 elements, there are bound to be a few which may still be misrepresented. Any comments to that effect are welcome.

An additional feature is the linking of many Eng and Wag parameters to the tables present on the Coals to Newcastle website (column H).

Column 'D' on sheet "Lists_by_Type" lists the undocumented Eng and Wag parameters, primarily missing from the manual. Any inputs, either written documentation or sources where documentation might be found, would be welcome.

And lastly, anyone who would like to contribute to the "Possible Values" and "Description" columns, please feel free to do so.

As part of the continuing effort to enhance OR documentation, I hope that this is of benefit. Feedback is welcome.

John

#49 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

A BIG http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif to both you and Chris for undertaking this project, your considerable effort and time is much appreciated. This guide will be a great help to the community. Thanks, again. Regards, Gerry

...and now for a question: Why does the spreadsheet take soooo long to open...could be too many design elements to deal with? Maybe a "stripped down" version without all the design bells and whistles would open faster, allowing for more users with slower or faster machines to open the file easily. It took quite a while [ + 8 minutes ] on my laptop running Win10 and an i9 cpu to open using Apache Open Office ( haven't used msoffice in years )...will try it later on the desktop. Maybe saving it with Open Office will help...any suggestions?

#50 User is online   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 25 January 2021 - 11:54 AM, said:

...and now for a question: Why does the spreadsheet take soooo long to open...could be too many design elements to deal with? Maybe a "stripped down" version without all the design bells and whistles would open faster, allowing for more users with slower or faster machines to open the file easily. It took quite a while [ + 8 minutes ] on my laptop running Win10 and an i9 cpu to open using Apache Open Office ( haven't used msoffice in years )...will try it later on the desktop. Maybe saving it with Open Office will help...any suggestions?

I don't know what to say. The spreadsheet is text only. There are no formulas, no calculations, just text. It's only 264kb. The link opens right away on my wife's laptop allowing browsing in OneDrive. Beyond that I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. Did you download it and open it locally on your PC? I can try doing that with OpenOffice . . .

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users