Elvas Tower: When changes precipitation intensity using key Alt - = OR calculates BaseFrictionCoefficientFactor vice versa - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When changes precipitation intensity using key Alt - = OR calculates BaseFrictionCoefficientFactor vice versa Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:07 AM

I have opened a bug report for this https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1763363 .
Peter, the problem does not occur when you start the game with clear weather or switch to clear weather with the Alt-P command. The problem occurs when, being with weather set to rain, you reduce the precipitation intensity down to almost zero (it is impossible to reach a real zero) with the Alt- command(precipitation intensity decrease). In this case the code continues to consider the weather as rainy (it does not switch it to clear), and so the friction reaches its lowest value.
If you agree, I would commit following patch:
Attached File  MSTSLocomotive_frictionrain.cs.patch.txt (1.8K)
Number of downloads: 229
This implements a precipitation-to-friction curve as the type shown here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__235459 , however I have set the minimum to a value of PricipitationIntensityPPSPM2 = 0.0005, which is a lower value than suggested by hroch, that is in my opinion a too high value, as it is the maximum value precipitation intensity may assume for 16 bit graphic cards.

In parallel I am working on an improvement to the manual setting of weather (see http://www.elvastowe...ge/#entry235523 ). The idea came during work on the present problem.

#12 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for working on this.

View PostCsantucci, on 12 April 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

If you agree, I would commit following patch:

I am happy for you to apply the patch.

When you are adding the patch, can you also consider the following points
i) The precipitation and fog adjustment controls are designated as "Debug" features (see keyboard TAB, not sure about the manual), and hence one of the reasons why I was not too worried about investigating them in too much detail. If we are now making them into recognised controls, then I think that they should be formalised as such by changing their designation, etc.
ii) Will you also check the operation of the fog adjustment so that it goes from the clear friction value to the lowest rain value (at highest fog value). Thus it will be similar to section 1 of the graph that you referenced. Are fog and rain independent of each other, ie fog can't be adjusted if rain has been adjusted, and vicer versa?
iii) Can you also do a check that as fog or rain are adjusted that both of the Loco and Wagon Adhesion values change as appropriate.

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:34 PM

Hi Peter,
thank you, I'll commit the patch.
Re your questions:
i) I agree that the manual weather controls could be moved out of the debug commands once modified (maybe to the Game group?).
ii) Friction adjustment due to fog enters into action only if there is neither rain nor snow; I'd leave it so at the moment.
iii) Already now both loco and wagon adhesion are adjusted as far as I can understand from the code.

P.S. Fix committed in x.4111.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users