• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New rail system Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:09 AM

I don't want to get anyone too excited, as work and school use up most of my time, but I have been considering creating a new track system to place into the public domain, with the intent of replacing the Kuju tracks and XTracks. But I don't want to go through the trouble of creating all of that sectional track, so I was thinking that I would create a dynamic track profile, and a set of switches and crossovers, and make the source files public domain should other developers wish to expand the inventory. In this manner, instead of using sectional track, developers could simply use dynamic track as they would use spline track in other platforms. I would not create bridge or tunnel pieces, but I would create separate bridge and tunnel models for route builders to place over or under the tracks as required. The goal would be to create something that could be retrofitted to older routes and used for new routes, even if it's not a direct replacement. This sounds like a good idea in my head, but most ideas that sound good in my head don't sound good to other people. Does this sound like something the community would be interested in?

#2 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:19 AM

The general idea sounds good.

The practicality may be different. How would OR cope with vast quantities of dynamic track? Would it be stable?

Starting work in that direction might ultimately lead to some sort of spline track.

From curves and gradients initially, you may have to think about different track profiles and gauges, and on from there....?

Have you had a try in Goku's route editor to create a route based mostly on dynamic track?

It would have been unstable in MSTS, but may work well now.

By leaving whatever you do in the public domain you will allow others to take things further if they wish. So definitely worth a try.

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:55 AM

Hi Erick,

Yep - concur - we need to leave the old Kuju flat track far behind... Having a real berm like Scale Rail would be helpful as well - one that would still be in contact with the ground while being super elevated...

Also - might want to touch base with Goku as he mentioned making all track "Procedural Track" via his route editor which I am assuming may be similar in concept - eliminating fixed piece assets ?

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:15 AM

I must ask how this could be retrofitted to older routes if there are no sectional track pieces. I'm working on a route now that uses Xtracks because it allowed for more complex track layouts (I use only two pieces of dynamic track), and would love to do away with the 'french fry' rails and flat ballast

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:09 AM

Hi Eric,

Just a heads up as I'm not sure you know that Goku is working on a procedural track system that will be incorporated into TSRE5. That being the case I'd suggest holding off a bit and see what come of that.

He has described the new system as being compatible with the KUJU/MSTS track system. I specifically asked him if the new procedural track would be able to connect to the present track system and he replied that it would. Yay!
I don't have the post but it's somewhere in the Route editing software development section of the forum.

regards,
vince

#6 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

Hi Erick
This is the forum where Goku talks about his proposed procedural track system
http://www.elvastowe...__1#entry220776

Garry

#7 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

TSRE tracks will not be compatible with MSTS, so if you want to make xtracks replacement then go ahead.
But I hope, TSRE tracks will be used by OR.

#8 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

AFAIK, if you wish to replace extant KUJU track and make your dynamic track use angles instead of radians then right off it doesn't work with RE. OTOH if you make your DT with radians you won't be able to replace KUJU track because you won't be able to match the length or curvature of the angle based curves.

Something to think about before starting.

#9 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

Perhaps Erick can work with Goku on this project? Erick is pretty talented. I'm excited to see what will come of this.
Christopher

#10 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

That might be good idea but only if he uses Blender or other 3d software that allows for import .obj files, so he can tweak TSRE .obj shapes.

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users