• You cannot reply to this topic

Painting problem Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 25 October 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

A bit more feedback. It appears you've changed how the user interacts with displaying the water height screen as well as display/hide water layer. What I see now is hte need to select a patch before you can do display/ hide water... and that Display Water height appears to be limited to the tile where the camera is located.

No. You can select any tile, not only one where camera is.

Similar, display/hide water (layer) would also be better if the icon activated the function and then the application occurred where you clicked.

But what is wrng with selecting all patches you want water and right mouse -> toggle water?

Moving the camera position is more of a bother than moving the mouse cursor.

You don't need to move the camera.

Using the Put function to apply a different texture does not reset the scaling. I suppose you could say that's the way it should be but I believe the application of a different texture should reset scaling, rotation, etc. etc. to whatever has been specified for use with Put.

Use right button -> put texture.

More feedback... Scale function works as expected (at first) but when you return to a patch that has been scaled, say from 1 to 4, the value displayed in the properties window is 1, not 4 as it should. Entering 4 a second time scales the image a second time (I expect this means a value of 16). Leave... return... the value displayed is 1 again.

Because there is no such thing like scale value. I can of course guess the value from transformation values, but it will not work in complicated cases (crop or different X/Y transformations - but you can't do it TSRE anyway).

#22 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

In next version you will be able to select terrain patches with shift and ctrl and use scale value more like you want.

#23 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

WRT word about next version, thanks. Will reply to previous post after this note.

Early this morning I came to realize something about the functionality... the way the Put function works w/ the mouse -- sweeping across the patches -- is very, very good. Only occasionally would one need to select hundreds of patches at once. That kind of interaction would work very well with the water layer apply or remove functions and having all of those work the same way -- mouse brushing most of hte time, occasionally doing selects over a defined area, would be best for consistency.

On re-reading some of the above I noted you said you had been working on the AE code... I do appreciate you making some changes quickly but none of what I'm reporting is preventing me from working; If you need/prefer to be working on the AE don't let my comments here stop you.

Last thought, WRT the word .doc, I very much prefer using a public forum over a private one. It lets others read the various points and let's them join in if they want. I don't post in that impossible long thread because everything seems to get lost in 24-48 hours. Perhaps the answer you your need of keeping a clear record could be either bookmarking the threads so you could come back to them or saving the thread in a folder on disk.

#24 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

Goku, Having a paint program in TSRE would be very useful. I believe there are plenty of open source projects to draw ideas from.

Could we have more control over how and were exactly paint is applied? I would like to be able to draw a little box say under a building and only have what terrain is inside the box painted. The free hand method is very hard to manipulate and not end up with some issues like the painted area not being squared. I would love to see this terrain painting function expanded further with more features, controls, and abilities.

Robert

#25 User is offline   ddedicos 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

May I throw in my two cents worth;

http://www.elvastowe...errtex-in-tsre/

Sorry Goku, I did not see your response, no, there was no crash of the editor, I just closed without saving and came back, oddball terrtex still there.

This post was put into the wrong thread...now deleted.

#26 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

You can send me the broken ace file. And then just paint new one.

#27 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

Ok... many code changes, same old problem when painting.
Attached File  Wrong again.jpg (533.46K)
Number of downloads: 4
Click on image to enlarge to full size.

I used the pick function to bring the crop texture into TSRE, switched to the paint function and there are several problems: The scale is not anything like the original (which, BTW is default scaling. No idea why that is. There is not a way for me to match the rotation seen in the "picked" texture... I suspect the original texture has been rotated and the paint function is not using that fact. I do understand the rotation is an attribute of the patch, not of the art, but if I am to get the result that is needed I need to be able to match the orientation (and scaling) in the specific situation where I am painting.

I'm not in any rush about this, just hopeful that you will find time to take care of these problems.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users