Elvas Tower: To Goku and the OR Team--it's time for an Activity Editor - Elvas Tower

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To Goku and the OR Team--it's time for an Activity Editor Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 12 September 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

It's the Route Editor or TSRE5 where the changes need to be made for a different (and saner) projection.

The OR simulator just deals with square tiles. Last time I looked, the only place where the Goode-Homosline projection has an impact is in calculating the compass lat/long and direction, so changes to the simulator would be minimal.

Yes.

But don't forget one still has to project DEM data into whatever projection method is selected and IMO projecting DEM one tile at a time is completely unacceptable. Whereas many MSTS routes get by with one or two tiles on either side of the mainline -- several hundred total the OR extension of near terrain viewing to 5 tiles on either side will add a huge number and straight-line routes will exceed 1000 tiles. Routes with branch lines far more, mega-routes into the many thousands of tiles. I have several routes on the shelf, stuff I look at occasional just for a change of scenery... 1700 tiles, 2400 tiles and two at 2700 tiles. As an experiment only to see what a mega-route of my Cal_P would look like I created and projected DEM data into 15,300 tiles. One by one is perfectly fine for repairs and/or a minor extension but building at that rate just won't do.

IOW we still need a DEMEX replacement.

#62 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 12 September 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

But don't forget one still has to project DEM data into whatever projection method is selected and IMO projecting DEM one tile at a time is completely unacceptable.
[...]
IOW we still need a DEMEX replacement.

In TSRE you can create terrain data for whole route at once.

#63 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

View Postlongiron, on 11 September 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

the inability to accurately represent track work (lack of curved turnouts in Scalerail)

I recognize that this is slightly off-topic, bit this got me thinking:

Might it be time to develop a "new default" set of track, with open source files available for the generation of custom pieces? If someone is willing to do most of the dirty work (creating the myriad of curved pieces of different radii, turnouts, et c. - my time is limited at the moment), I would be more than happy to create the basic track models and develop easily-repeated practices for creating curved sections and whatnot (indeed, I had considered starting a project to replace the Kuju track piece-by--piece). We could start with a basic set of track, and then expand pieces as time goes on, and include it all with the sim, further removing a degree of MSTS dependency, provided route developers began using the new track.

As an extension to this idea, what about the creation of a new global folder? As I was intending on replacing all of the default sounds in the near future, I would be more than happy to donate my work to the OR team (as well as the few scenery objects I created to replace some of the defaults a few years back).

#64 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

My question is how can we improve on the already existing Goode homolosine projection coding already in TSRE5 to bring it and MSTS in line atleast? This being something Goku appears to be reluctant to work on since he claims the code is all third party.

Robert

#65 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

If someone wants to support TSRE AE development using paypal (and not credit card), here is how to:
https://www.trainsim...306#post1922306

#66 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

done

#67 User is offline   Casey Jones ICRR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostErickC, on 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

I recognize that this is slightly off-topic, bit this got me thinking:

Might it be time to develop a "new default" set of track, with open source files available for the generation of custom pieces? If someone is willing to do most of the dirty work (creating the myriad of curved pieces of different radii, turnouts, et c. - my time is limited at the moment), I would be more than happy to create the basic track models and develop easily-repeated practices for creating curved sections and whatnot (indeed, I had considered starting a project to replace the Kuju track piece-by--piece). We could start with a basic set of track, and then expand pieces as time goes on, and include it all with the sim, further removing a degree of MSTS dependency, provided route developers began using the new track.

As an extension to this idea, what about the creation of a new global folder? As I was intending on replacing all of the default sounds in the near future, I would be more than happy to donate my work to the OR team (as well as the few scenery objects I created to replace some of the defaults a few years back).

If new track is someday presented, please consider doing away with "fixed" sections. Something like what Railworks has (Flex track is the best word I come up with) would be ideal. We could then do away with the damn dynamic track. Fixed sections limits what one can accomplish unless they are really talented and can work around the limitations.

#68 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Technology behind Flex and Dynamic tracks is the same. Only difference is in the tools used to create them.
Fixed sections are good for building stations.

#69 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

If someone wants to support TSRE AE development using paypal (and not credit card), here is how to:
https://www.trainsim...306#post1922306

Very happy to support this, an AE has been long overdue to really keep OR alive...

If $ are required to get it sooner, then, my $ are on the way :)

#70 User is offline   mopacfan 

• Fireman

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

Hi Goku, Just a thought - How about having a feature with your proposed AE to give OR users, who don't want to spend too much time with activity creation, the ability to automatically generate activities based on user selected input, such as running a passenger or freight train with a random generated consists, etc? Users can also select weather and other criteria from broad categories.

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users