• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A different update issue Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

I've seen errors like that one many times. Almost certainly it's a file or directory permissions issue tripping the updater. The workaround for me is usually to download the latest testing version (a zip file rather than an installer) then install that manually (simply copy over the current files/folders in the OR directory. If you have a permissions or read-only issue with a file or directory, doing the manual install will get you an error message from Windows identifying the culprit, after which it's easy to fix.

#12 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

True, but in my case i have the stable version 1.2.3761 which is what i want to update to 1.2.3766 which is supposed to stop this problem and as far as i can tell that can only be updated via the button on the main page of the sim, I cannot find that as a zip anywhere. on my other setup the testing version X nos i do that when this happens, as far as permisions go i am the administrator, the MS oS's other controlling function (whatever it was called its been so long i have forgotten)is turned of and the files in the ORTS folder are all set to read/write

Edit: in my case i just redownloaded the main installer again for V1.2 and it has been updated to version 1.2.3766 so in my case things should be OK now as that version is sup[posed to fix the updating problem, My testing version has worked fine also since passing Ver X3766 and is currently on Ver X3370

#13 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

And of course just after typing that I got the message to update to 3370, clicked it, got the error message, and found that my entire OR installation had been wiped out. So ... back to square 1.

#14 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

I had the same issue earlier today. The update wiped out the Content subfolder in the Open Rails folder.

#15 User is offline   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

yeah it's been doing that for some time on my system too.

#16 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:39 AM

I have a suggestion: Would setting requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" for Updater.exe perhaps help some of these updater issues? And another: perhaps some sort of update log that is generated during the update process to help diagnose problems and to provide a record of exactly what it's doing (especially when it fails)?

#17 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostFleegle411, on 28 January 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've come across a new one. Same circumstances, but it shows me this error.

Attachment anewerror.jpg

This is coming off a fresh install from the 1.2 installer, going up to 3770 and the folder this installation is in is excluded by my AV.

Hmm, do you remember if there was a shield icon next to the update button and whether you got asked to elevate the updater? Nothing's changed in this case from 1.1 to 1.2 AFAIK, but it seems the only plausible reasons for the error is that the updater thought it didn't need to elevate, or anti-virus is screwing something up.

View PostJovet, on 30 January 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

I have a suggestion: Would setting requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" for Updater.exe perhaps help some of these updater issues?

Not especially, because that would require every non-administrator install (typical for Testing and Unstable users) to elevate for no reason. This code works, as evidenced by all the updates that do happen (including on my machine), and like I said above, I am pretty sure the elevation code hasn't changed since before 1.1: it checks whether the current user (the one running the menu) can write to the application path (it tries to create a test directory), and if that fails and you're not elevated already, it will elevate the updater.

View PostJovet, on 30 January 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

And another: perhaps some sort of update log that is generated during the update process to help diagnose problems and to provide a record of exactly what it's doing (especially when it fails)?

I am thinking that it may be useful to try and augment every exception with the directory or file involved, at least. It's a pain though, because it means wrapping every disk operation in a try/catch/throw block.

#18 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 31 January 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

do you remember if there was a shield icon next to the update button and whether you got asked to elevate the updater?

While I am not certain, I do not believe there was a shield next to the update option on the menu, and when I clicked it the updater got straight to work, no asking "Do you want to elevate" or anything of the sort.

#19 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostFleegle411, on 31 January 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

While I am not certain, I do not believe there was a shield next to the update option on the menu, and when I clicked it the updater got straight to work, no asking "Do you want to elevate" or anything of the sort.

Is the program in Program Files or another protected directory? If not, then I would not expect the shield/elevation nor the error.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users