Elvas Tower: Columbia Valley Pacific - Elvas Tower

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Columbia Valley Pacific Fictional British Columbia Mining RR in Railworks Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostCoonskin, on 28 May 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

Stunning work. Absolutely stunning.

Makes me sad about firing up the old Dinosaur and seeing what I will see therein. :cray:

Edit:

Just for my own curiosity, Wayne, may I ask you a few questions?

* How long is your route?

* How much (rough guess in percentile) has full scenery in place?

* How how long did it take to get to this stage?

Thanks.

I dread learning a new simulator program like a possum dreads an axe handle... but those results are simply head and shoulders above anything else. Period.

The hobby has come a long way since the early days when we worked together on routes.

My route runs 30 miles from east to west extent. I have about 6 miles fully detailed including 3 major towns. And the rest is roughed in with terrain shape, ground textures and basic vegetation.

Here's a MAP

Finished areas are Odessa to Hicks Ferry, and Yale to Panaska.

Its difficult to quote time - I have been on and off the project for at least a year. I image the work to date might have taken maybe 10 weeks without the breaks.

I know what you mean about learning curve, but I would say it is a worthwhile investment. If you decide to try it out, lets talk offline - I can provide a lot of tips to get you started on the right foot.

#12 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

I have finished detailing around Yale (fictional). Its here that the CVP joins the Canadian Pacific mainline via twin trestles reminiscent of the famous Keddie Wye.

Entrance to the CPR main is controlled by a telegraph office on the south leg of the wye. All our trains run extra on the CPR and must stop here for clearance through to Panaska.
Attached File  24010_20160611115514_1.jpg (646.3K)
Number of downloads: 109

Looking West, a CVP mixed freight joins the CPR main.
Attached File  24010_20160611120001_1.jpg (533.88K)
Number of downloads: 110

A pair of 2-8-2's lead a CPR passenger train westbound along Yale Creek.
Attached File  24010_20160611121256_1.jpg (584.8K)
Number of downloads: 102

These expensive trestles where built during the first world war to bring much needed copper ore out of the boundary region of BC.
Attached File  24010_20160611121022_1.jpg (615.46K)
Number of downloads: 102

#13 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

Simply stunning, Wayne.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions above.

Andre

#14 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

I like water level running and deliberately created some scenic locations on the CVP.

Attached File(s)

#15 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Absolutely fabulous work, Wayne. Fabulous.

Your route, and the recently released "C&S" route by Jonathan Lewis really tugs at me to try TS2016.

However, I have one huge issue that I need to settle: DOES TS2016 require an online connection before it will launch?

In other words, can I run/play on TS2016 without being connected to the internet?

#16 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

View PostCoonskin, on 24 July 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

In other words, can I run/play on TS2016 without being connected to the internet?

Yes, no problem. You tell Steam that you are running offline, and after that everything works OK even with the internet totally disconnected.

PS - the C&S route is excellent

#17 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

Let me make sure I understood:

Sounds like you are saying when I fire up TS, it will look for a Steam connection, and then I tell Steam that I'm going to play offline?

If so, that's exactly what I was wanting to avoid. I don't want to HAVE to be connected in order to even start the game.

I got into that during my Trainz experiment. The version I was using REQUIRED an online connection or it would not launch. Thus, any internet interruption ruled out playing with Trainz. (We have ISP outages way too often.) In addition, that limits how I could choose to install the game as it takes away from being able to install/run on a decided offline machine.

The above provided that I understood you correctly.

#18 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostCoonskin, on 24 July 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Let me make sure I understood:

Sounds like you are saying when I fire up TS, it will look for a Steam connection, and then I tell Steam that I'm going to play offline?

If so, that's exactly what I was wanting to avoid. I don't want to HAVE to be connected in order to even start the game.

I got into that during my Trainz experiment. The version I was using REQUIRED an online connection or it would not launch. Thus, any internet interruption ruled out playing with Trainz. (We have ISP outages way too often.) In addition, that limits how I could choose to install the game as it takes away from being able to install/run on a decided offline machine.

The above provided that I understood you correctly.

I didn't explain it well. Railworks / Steam will actually do what you want.

When you tell Steam you are going offline, it transfers the key to your PC's hard drive, and you never have to go online again. So long as the key is in your PC, you can restart your pc, restart the Railworks, as many times as you want, all without an internet connection.

#19 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

In other words, you need to have Steam/RW online once. Once you tell it to go "offline" you won't need the internet for it again, unless you go back online.

Despite the definite eye candy, I have RW/TS201X but do not play it that often. Maybe I just need some good third-party content to get me into it.

#20 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

View Postjovet, on 24 July 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

In other words, you need to have Steam/RW online once. Once you tell it to go "offline" you won't need the internet for it again, unless you go back online.

Correct.

Despite the definite eye candy, I have RW/TS201X but do not play it that often. Maybe I just need some good third-party content to get me into it.

Yes, it takes time to build your content library and get everything tweaked the way you want.

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users