Elvas Tower: Changes to MP signalling and Train Control - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Changes to MP signalling and Train Control First phase now committed Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   APK-LVDZ 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

Why:
1. Signal does not work in multiplayer mode a very long time
2. There are different notion for using STOP and STOP_AND_PROCEED states
3. We try using the dispatcher windows for 15 peoples, and have found: for dispatcher no time to make the route, because line are very long, and dispatcher can't see what's happening in other location
4. You have already a lot of work, and we want to make themselves

We agree for one specialized version for this dispatcher windows. Will look like this:
http://www.imghost.in/img/2014-03/02/enrdi7xqm9exaezg80rjsiyq3.jpg
Easier to work!

#52 User is offline   A Tejesember 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Your problem is a bit complicated I think. This would basically require an API to work with any 3rd party program. Also, your logfile-based method is just an unnecessary load on the HDD, there are ways to directly communicate with other applications.

In my opinion, the current dispatcher window has only one big problem: you can't set the exact aspect of a signal, just stop, proceed, approach. For example there are 3 approach aspects, and it is really odd, to give a 120km/h sign into a 40km/h switch.

#53 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostA Tejesember, on 02 March 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

In my opinion, the current dispatcher window has only one big problem: you can't set the exact aspect of a signal, just stop, proceed, approach. For example there are 3 approach aspects, and it is really odd, to give a 120km/h sign into a 40km/h switch.

There isn't a single signalling system in the world where the operator can select the aspect of the signal which is cleared.
In fact, many systems don't even show the aspect - just if the signal is clear or not. The aspect shown to the driver is determined by the system based on route-selection, next signals etc.
The only exception is that some systems allow a 'restricted' clearing action, e.g. on occupied track ("calling-on" signals).
Many modern systems, by the way, don't even operate signals and points directly - they are completely route-based.

A much more serious problem with the dispatcher window is that it does not actually clear the signal - it just sets the aspect, neither checking nor protecting the cleared route. This is as if the signalman leaves the control-panel and just hangs a green lamp on the signal.

As for the required interface : what is needed is to use the same information and messages as the dispatcher window. The best way would be to use the present dispatcher-window code and rewrite it to output or collect form input rather than to display or collect from operator actions.
I agree with the above, though, that the suggested interface is not very efficient. If you do need to use textfiles then at least reduce the text to the bare minimum, e.g. S123S : signal 123 at Stop, P124M : point 124 to Main etc.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#54 User is offline   A Tejesember 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

View Postroeter, on 02 March 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

There isn't a single signalling system in the world where the operator can select the aspect of the signal which is cleared.
In fact, many systems don't even show the aspect - just if the signal is clear or not. The aspect shown to the driver is determined by the system based on route-selection, next signals etc.
The only exception is that some systems allow a 'restricted' clearing action, e.g. on occupied track ("calling-on" signals).
Many modern systems, by the way, don't even operate signals and points directly - they are completely route-based.

This is true, but in OR, it just doesn't want to work. If I select approach from the list, it gives Approach_1, no matter what. I don't know how hard it would be to make it work like it does with paths in activities, so I propose adding all the aspects to the list as a temporary solution. I agree that the desired functionality would be clear, not clear, calling; but the current state is between the two ends. Not manual nor auto, which is not really usable in my opinion.

#55 User is offline   APK-LVDZ 

• Apprentice

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

And yet, can someone help me to make communication between OR and my dispatcher window?

#56 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I still think that you should rather help the existing dispatcher window to work better, than starting to implement a new one from scratch. I think this effort would be the one, OpenRails developers would gladly help in.

I don't know if I understand your problem with STOP and STOP_AND_PROCEED signal aspects correctly. Is it that you want to display a different aspect on locomotive than it is shown by route? (So you want to display STOP_AND_PROCEED on locomotive, while route shows STOP?) This is already possible by using a train control system script.

#57 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

I'd also prefer having a linear dispatch board like Run8 and ATCSMon. Does multiplayer broadcast signal information in a useable format that could be used by a third party program?

#58 User is offline   APK-LVDZ 

• Apprentice

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

I do not know how to write program code in OR language :sign_thanks: We waits worked signal in multiplayer mode, but it does not solve the problem of mach people. OR draw route similarly MSTS editor, it's not bad. My program will makes red signals before exit to one track line, if opened green signal towards. There are many moments, and for one route will be created individual dispatcher control. OR dispatcher control also is needed, because in them I will watch all users.

Follows task:
1. Delete all script work from OR (or not monitoring if use dispatcher control), leave only block_state ==# block_clear or block_occupied functions
2. My file "command.txt" is a command from dispatcher window. For first, my first command is "get full situation". OR create new file "changes.txt", in this are all signal and all junction states with numbers. Junctions: "j255-main"(255-number from track base). Then OR delete the file command.txt.
3. My program read changes.txt, draw all, and delete file changes.txt.
4. One for 5 second OR and my program find the files changes.txt and command.txt
5. If in OR any signal get a new state (block_occupied -> block_clear (no control for junctions)), then OR make file changes.txt and write "s764-clear (occupied)". (s-signal, 764 - number, clear - state from function "block_state")
6. My program read this file (one find for 5 seconds), draw all, then delete file changes.txt
7. Then my program calculate new signal states, because new block are occupied, or some junctions has a changes, and create file command.txt with command:
s764-N2,D0 (s764 - signal ID 764, N-normal type, D-distance type, numbers after types - signal states (0-stop, 1-stop_and_proceed, 2-restricting, 3-approach_1, 4-...))
s765-N4,D5
8. OR change states for this signal (file find one for 5 seconds), and delete file commands.txt
9. IF I choose exit in my program, then will create file command.txt with text "end". After this moment OR will not create new file until in file command.txt will be "get full situation" (from start point)

#59 User is offline   APK-LVDZ 

• Apprentice

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

Hello! Need to find a place in the code OpenRails, where traffic lights is given by the final aspect before transmission to other clients. You also need to find a place where it is said that the train began to pass or drive for a traffic light. Thank You We very much, and we are trying to write a program yourself

http://www.imghost.in/thumbs/2014-12/07/tqdxjrzxfsbwmkb1xa6r359ty.jpg

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users