• You cannot reply to this topic

Route Install.Bat issue Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Just today I installed two routes that had Install.bat files as part of the installation. First was the Grand Trunk Holly Sub, the second was the CSX Western and Atlantic Sub. - The GT Holly Sub install bat failed repeatedly. Most often the reason was "access denied" ... was also trying to copy some sound files, and files from the template folder. I ran it through Route Riter and manually copied some of the files and it works fine ... not a thorough run through, but it loaded.. will see what happens later. The CSX Western&Atlantic Sub Install.bat ran perfectly, copying all the files, no problem. I think out of all the routes I've installed I have had two, maybe three Install.bat issues, and all three were from bad install bat files. I also figure some of the issues with bat files could be traced to idiosyncracies of the system that they were made on, not the system trying to install the route. Just thought I'd let you know. Cheers, rhs (aka gerry) :rotfl: {if we can't get a bigger clown how 'bout a pirate?)

#42 User is offline   TBlake 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostBernie, on 19 October 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Whoa, this may be the longest I've been off this site in a looong time! Sorry! ;) School is nuts right now, and when I throw in work and running around to different places running steam engines... well, I'm frazzled and a bit forgetful. :)

So, first question: I copy-and-pasted everything; I didn't know I needed to leave anything out. Here is what the file looks like:

Of course, I didn't get to try anything, as the command box never opened long enough for me to do anything.

Make a copy of the Installme.bat and try this, add two pauses to the copy of Installme.bat and remove the first line (@Echo Off)
That way you could see what the dos command is doing.

Original File

@Echo Off
call xcopy "..\europe1\shapes\AisGill.s" .\Shapes\ /Y

---

Modified File

pause <--- add __ To make sure the file opens
call xcopy "..\europe1\shapes\AisGill.s" .\Shapes\ /Y
pause <--- add __ See if it copied the file

The pause command will tell you to "hit any key to continue", this way you might be able to see where the problem is.

At least, the command line stay open, instead of just flashing and closing.

The attached file is the same as the modified version, just download it and change from .txt to .bat and try.

TBlake
'Tony'

Attached File(s)

#43 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

I promise I'll try that, really! :sign_oops: I know I keep saying this, but I'm crazy busy right now; I barely have enough time to check the site and hammer out a few quick posts, let alone take the time to properly sit down and diagnose MSTS. ^_^

Actually, I have a 12-page paper that I reeeally need to get back to... :wub:

Sorry if my "on-again off-again" routine is annoying. It's driving me nuts; I'd much rather run trains that do this. :drinks:

#44 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'm back! :lol:

Wow, things have been nuts; finished the paper, more YouTube issues, signing up for courses for next semester, trying to sort out a better antenna for my radio (more complicated than it sounds, given that it is a 1939/40 Emerson DA-287), looking for work, and dealing with a blown-out tire on the highway... at speed. :shok: When it rains, it pours... :wacko: ;) :drool3: HOWEVER, I set aside today to get all caught back up here on ET, and I have tried all of the fixes suggested for my .bat issue.

Sadly, none worked. :yahoo: I copied a .bat from one route to this new one, and I tried both Tony's modified file and a full, modified version using Tony's methods. In both cases, the same problem occurred anyway; a brief flash of the command screen, followed by an equally swift vanishing act. Now I am truly stumped. :ko2:

#45 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

Return of the zombie post!! :buffalobill: :oldstry:

Based upon information from other threads I've had this same problem in (in regard to other routes, etc.), I am pretty sure that the issue is that my install of MSTS follows that of the "bible" on Steam4me; NOT in the default file location.

Is there a way to modify .bat files to point to the correct directory?

#46 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Your quick-flash-and-gone looks like either the default routes are not there or a permissions issue. I've had it, rarely, when I didn't have permissions (especially) set up right. It's not an inherent installme.bat problem; most of them are coded with relative folder names, not hard-coded with disk identification. Based on my Win7 experience, double check:

1) Installation per steam4me, especially making sure that everything's in a folder structure outside Program Files (I use a "trainsims" root-level folder for MSTS and ORTS to keep it simple; others may put it on a different disk too).
2) Permissions are correct - all users (I tend to use "authenticated users") need to have full control, and all files must have read-only turned off (might have to forcibly "take ownership" of files or do this as administrator, sometimes, to make it stick).
3) Default routes are all installed with their normal folder names.

The permissions thing is the hardest to maintain. For some reason, installing a route (especially a route with a real installer, not just copying things from a zip file) seems to mess up the read-only flags and permissions sometimes (not reliably, so I can't figure out why/how). You might just want to update permissions on some regular basis as a maintenance item, and after completing an installation.

#47 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

Here's something ---- After I switched to Win7 Pro (4/5 months ago) I tried an experiment. I reinstalled routes that had a Install.bat files that had not worked. I put them into a test MSTS installation, in fact the same one I use for all the mini routes and installations; The bat files that did not work in XP ran just fine when using Win7. I think the problem is not with bat files but with XP. Since using 7 I have not had one issue with bat files.

#48 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

Pinned, for ease of future reference. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/victory.gif

CB (mod).

#49 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm gonna have to try these another time; at the moment I'm working on other projects. Thanks, though!

On a side note, I'm running Win7, so this may be a permissions issue.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users