• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Install.Bat issue Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Actually, there are more problems than this with batch files. I don't know enough to explain what is causing the problem, but I know that with windows 7, with no permissions problems regarding the existing files and all routes in the correct place, batch files rather frequently fail to work. Copy and paste the code of the batch file into the command line (not running as administrator) and they do work, which indicates that a problem exists in the batch file beyond these three factors.
Christopher

#32 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Okay, now I understand, there can be a whole batch of problems with batch files! I have NO experience running batch files in WIn7, 8, Vista.... only with XP. But I do know that for anyone not having a detailed technical understanding of the op system finding the reason why a batch file will not run is very frustrating. The usual indication is the rapidly appearing/disappearing of the command window, you are left with only a suspicion that the batch file did not run correctly .... there was a way to stop this, but I cannot recall how to do it. Regardless, thank you much engmod (your patience with me is admirable and generous) and conductorchris for your input. Now, how about Bernie, the poor guy must be nuts by now trying to get the batch file to run.
Four ideas occur to me for Bernie to try (and again, if you can, please correct or offer advice) ( I suppose the following only applies to XP)

1. Open the system variables edit function and edit the existing path for the specific batch file to run
2. Open the system variables edit function and add a new path for the specific batch file to run
3. Open the environment variables, look under system variables and see if the "PATHEXT" includes the following line .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;...etc. (if one of those are missing then the batch file will not run .. correct?)
4. IF the command window opens and closely rapidly (indicating the batch file is not running correctly) does that always mean the problem is in the batch file itself?
Cheers, rhs (aka Gerry) ;) :jumpy: {what we need is a clown throwing a computer)

#33 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

1. Open the system variables edit function and edit the existing path for the specific batch file to run
An installme.bat file does not need any path to be set

2. Open the system variables edit function and add a new path for the specific batch file to run
Same as 1

3. Open the environment variables, look under system variables and see if the "PATHEXT" includes the following line .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;...etc. (if one of those are missing then the batch file will not run .. correct?)

If this were the case, NOTHING would run.

4. IF the command window opens and closely rapidly (indicating the batch file is not running correctly) does that always mean the problem is in the batch file itself?

As I have said before, the installme batch file is automatically generated by Route Riter and has been tested 1000's of times.
Any issue that arises is something specific to the OP's computer setup/MSTS install.

cheers

#34 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

These sort of issues are why I repair steam equipment, plumbing, furniture, and not computers! :ko2: If I can't physically put my hands in it, it drives me nuts, and you sure can't pick up and examine computer code! :dance3:

First, a question: is there both an xcopy and an xxcopy? It sounds like there are both, if I am following this conversation correctly. You will have to pardon my confusion, which stems from more than this. My mind is currently focused on midterms and a rather difficult ten-page research paper, so I've been putting MSTS waaay back on the rear burner. :) I'm one of those people who likes to sit down with a clear head when I mess with computer issues, given past experience.

Now, to clarify, here is my current dilemma: I have all six default routes installed, in the correct directory. I installed all of the partial route files, extracted the full route folder, properly placed in in the routes folder, and then tried to run the Install.bat file. The file blipped on the screen for a split second, then vanished. I tried again as administrator, but the same thing occurred. Later, someone suggested using the cmd window, but that did the same thing; blip onscreen for a moment, before vanishing.

I hope this clarifies what I did and what did not work, and will help find a solution. :cheers3:

#35 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

If it blipped on the screen for a split second, that usually means one of two things.
Number one, the 'program' has already been installed and there is nothing to do, or number two, you may have a bad, Install bat or it isn't in the proper folder to work properly.
Although, I've run a number of install bat files in the wrong folder and they worked fine, as far as trying to do what they were supposed to do but couldn't cuz it was placed in the wrong folder, but it did work.
Soooooo, it sounds like you have a bad install bat file.

Can RouteRiter do it?

Try using one from another route. :dance3:

:)

#36 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

View Postthegrindre, on 22 October 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Can RouteRiter do it?

Try using one from another route. :)

I posted the results from Route Riter a while back, it had a "hiccup". When I get home, I'll see if I have the error message it came up with. As for trying one from another route, do you mean copy an install.bat from another route to the one I'm trying to install, or an entirely different route installed from scratch altogether?

#37 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

...do you mean copy an install.bat from another route to the one I'm trying to install...?
Yes, just the bat file.
It's possible you have a bad file. Try another one in its place.

Sorry, Bernie, I haven't read this whole thread. I didn't know you tried RR already.

:)

#38 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

Bernie, good luck with the research paper, hope when all is finished you find time to relax. First Xcopy VS XXcopy -- xcopy is the copy exe found in the systems folder in windows (at least in XP) and XXcopy is a freeware program that extends the functionality of Xcopy. But, as it was pointed out to me, this will have no effect on your problem, so probably no useful to you. One question about Route Riter, what version are you using? I believe v7.6.26 is the latest. Anything earlier might give you trouble. As for the batch file not running..someone mentioned the possibility of it being corrupted, have you downloaded this route again just to make sure nothing was garbled the first time? Sorry, cannot be more helpful. Cheers, rhs (aka gerry) :) {we need a bigger clown)

#39 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

No worries Rick! :cool3:

Lets see... I believe I have RouteRiter version 7.5.39, which was the most advanced version at the time. Clearly there have been upgrades since then. :oldstry:

As for the research paper, add a YouTube copyright infringement case to my troubles. :dance3: I have a beautiful 1939/1940 Emerson radio, and I recorded some of it's functions on video for a friend. YouTube latched onto part of a broadcast I tuned in to, and made a stink. I took that video down, made another with in-video copyright disclaimers in addition to the ones in the description... and the same thing happened. :oldstry:

#40 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Bernie, the latest version of Route Riter can be found at UKTrainSim > Download Library > Utilities > Misc. You gotta be logged in to download. Good luck with super global corp You Tube. Cheers, rhs (aka gerry) :pleasantry: {we need a bigger clown)

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users