• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR on Win 8 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Avo 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hello Community

How does Open Rails perform on Windows 8?
Thanks for sharing your experiences, as I don't have any possibilities to try it out myself.

Avo

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

I have yet to manage to install either W7 or W8 on my system, so I'm interested in that, too.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

I'm running Open Rails on Windows 8 with no problems.

#4 User is offline   Avo 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 10 November 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

I'm running Open Rails on Windows 8 with no problems.

Hi James
Many thanks for the good message!

Avo

#5 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostAvo, on 09 November 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Hello Community

How does Open Rails perform on Windows 8?
Thanks for sharing your experiences, as I don't have any possibilities to try it out myself.

Avo

I've had OpenRails running on Windows 8 Pro 64 for a few weeks now, not much difference from how it runs on Windows 7/SP1 64.

#6 User is offline   Phil Voxland 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

So, I too can report the OR works well on Windows 8.

HOWEVER

Although I did get MSTS installed, I haven't had any success getting it to run. (Tried compatabilty modes, running as administrator, for example). I see on UKTrainsim that others have reported similar problems, of MSTS shutting down right away after the program is launched. I don't find any posts there or Trainsim of success with MSTS on Windows 8. I did see one post that possibly implicated ATI graphics card and drivers.

Has anyone had any success with running MSTS on Windows 8, or found any workarounds that were necessary for that success?

This has been a more or less experimental project on a secondary computer which had been running Windows XP. I still can fall back to XP, as this Windows 8 was on a spare hard drive I had gathering dust. My main system is runing Windows 7, OR, and MSTS without any problems.

== Phil V

#7 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I bought W7 Pro recently, can't install it, so I bought the W8 upgrade, also not installed, so I guess W7 will be the way to go, eventually.

Cheers Bazza

#8 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostPhil Voxland, on 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

I don't find any posts there or Trainsim of success with MSTS on Windows 8.

I haven’t had any problems running MSTS on Windows 8 Pro 64 but this has been with an Nvidia 680 GTX, I've yet to try MSTS (or anything else for that matter) with Windows 8 on my AMD 7970 setup.

#9 User is offline   Phil Voxland 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

View Postnyc01, on 15 November 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

I haven’t had any problems running MSTS on Windows 8 Pro 64 but this has been with an Nvidia 680 GTX, I've yet to try MSTS (or anything else for that matter) with Windows 8 on my AMD 7970 setup.

Thanks so much for that information, which is an important clue. I can do a video card swap from the current WIN 8 system's older generation AMD card to a somewhat newer one that would get beyond "legacy drivers" for WIN 8. I'm hoping that will be successful.

I have also a strong (but amateurish) interest in digital photography. In that realm AMD software and hardware apparently offer more value and performance in "OPENGL" and "OPENCL" than Nvidia boards. Those Graphics Software packages offer remarkable acceleration of graphic editing applications, such as Photoshop. So I hope I can find a mid-range AMD/ATI solution that does MSTS and OR respectably and also kicks up graphics editing as well.

#10 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostPhil Voxland, on 15 November 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

In that realm AMD software and hardware apparently offer more value and performance in "OPENGL" and "OPENCL" than Nvidia boards.

Actually it's just the opposite and it has been for many years now. Nvidia has consistently always had better OpenGL support, it's one of the very reasons why ATI/AMD GPU's haven’t been recommended for use with Linux or OpenGL applications (games) in general.

Something you might want to check out with Windows 8, make sure that under Programs and Features (in the control panel), then Turn Windows features on or off, you have .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 checked.

By default Windows 8 Pro only has .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services installed. ATI/AMD Catalyst Control Center requires .NET to work properly.

In addition you should have updated DirectX after installing Windows 8.

On any fresh OS install whether it's Windows XP, Vista, Win7 or 8 I always first install the redistributable -

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109

followed by connecting to the internet and running Windows updates and then the DirectX Web installer -

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users