• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3-Foot Gauge meets Standard at the dual-gauge track Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:50 PM

Bit of a cheat here, as this is actually Metre Gauge meets Standard. This is at Paimpol on the Cotes du Nord (Brittany) route. I just love the totally 'off the wall' range of Autorails produced by the French, a high proportion of which have been modelled for MSTS.

In these screenshots, the Metre Gauge train was live and the Standard Gauge Autorails were stationary consists. The next step is to mix one gauge live with AI traffic on the other. Watch this space.

Attached Image: CDN01.jpg
Attached Image: CDN02.jpg
Attached Image: CDN03.jpg
Attached Image: CDN04.jpg
Attached Image: CDN05.jpg
Attached Image: CDN06.jpg

Rob.

#12 User is offline   johnfrum 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:59 AM

Fellow Simmers,

On my Canada Atlantic route, two logging branches converge on the lumber mill at Marshall's Bay. Rugged terrain along one of them dictated that it had to be built in three-foot gauge*. But rather than disrupt operations at the mill by relaying all the track there in dual-gauge, Booth Lumber opted to build a dual-gauge interchange near the mill for transferring loads from narrow gauge to standard gauge logcars.

Here's a bird's eye view of the area, annotated to explain what's what.

Attached Image: Interchange2.jpg

Narrow gauge rolling stock works very well on the interchange track and I can use the open-ended activities that I prefer -- i.e. those with a very short path. (I've only installed manual switches on this route).

Unfortunately, standard gauge stuff doesn't work all that great on the dual gauge. The manual dual gauge switches just will not work in a standard gauge activity. Annoying :rolleyes: (but not a disaster).

-------------------------------------

*The real reason is it created an opportunity to run all those great narrow gauge models that are available now!

- JF -

#13 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:40 AM

Post #11, that obscure railcar with the raised cab....I've read about that, it's British pre-war and there was an article about it in an obscure prewar book, a series in 4 volumes about world railways.

Cheers Bazza

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users