• You cannot reply to this topic

First Look at the Dominion Atlantic Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

Hi All,

I've been working on another route for a couple of months, the Dominion Atlantic in Nova Scotia. Just completed the headquarters and main yard in Kentville so I thought I'd share a few screenshots.

We'll follow Train 2 as it enters Kentville from the south at the West Main Street crossing:

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_1.jpg

CPR 9059 passes Canada Foods who took over the DAR roundhouse as a warehouse for bottles and cans after the DAR ended steam operations in the late '50s:

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_2.jpg

The former machine shop became American Can's warehouse, burning in 1973, the concrete coal tower stood into the '80s:

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_3.jpg

Heading east through the yard Train 2 passes the Baptist Church and Centennial Arena:

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_4.jpg

9059 approaches the Kentville station:

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_5.jpg

Behind 9059 are the DAR shops. With the DAR being isolated from parent company CP Rail, the Kentville shops were responsible for maintaining 2 RDCs, 2 S-3s, and 7 SW1200RSs, any rolling stock that needed attention and it's paint shop was kept busy in the late '60s and '70s applying the new "Action" paint schemes CP Rail adopted:

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_6.jpg

There were no food services on the RDCs so the station stop was an extended one so passengers and crew could get off the train and grab a drink and a bite.

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_7.jpg

Train 2 departing Kentville on route to Halifax with the Cornwallis Inn in the background:

Attached Image: DAR_Tr2_8.jpg

Paul :-)

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

As Usual, an impressive body of work, Paul. This is set in the 70's, right?

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks. Yes, should be 1972 before the fire that took out the old machine shop in '73 but I'd have to say it will be "early" '70s and might span a few years. We moved to the area in 1970 and the DAR was still using one of the two S-3s lettered for them as the yard engine in Kentville, but it was transfered off the DAR shortly after that.

Paul :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users