Elvas Tower: Coming Soon to a Roundhouse Near You! - Elvas Tower

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coming Soon to a Roundhouse Near You! Santa Fe 2-8-2's from Allen Norton Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Allen, all that matters is the artwork works in the sim. I have RS which includes an updated ace tool, I'm very tempted to see what happens in TS if I process a TS texture with it.....hmmm.

I've always used the ZLIB compression from a BMP source.

Cheers Bazza

#22 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

Capt.

Does that ZLIB work with alpha channels. I actually use alpha channel graphics to make see through parts. It's a poor mans boolean operation
or a laser cutter if you will. I've been using this little technique to make truck side frames lately both for diesel models and tender trucks. It's
a way of having good detail without a heavy poly count. A stack of 10-2 poly rectangles makes for good thickness for a side frame. The poly's
are stacked close together and then joined. They are then changed to transnormal and the alpha graphic is applied. In TSM it looks like a black
block with some images on it but in MSTS the black areas dissappear leaving only the image showing on the poly's.

What program is used for ZLIB? I might like to try that out.

Allen ;)

#23 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Now I have lots of UP and SANTA FE's. For some reason I'm really short on SP's......

Jim

Maybe you could make some. Train Sim Modeler is still available and there is much help on the web and here at ET. The more the merrier as
they say.

Allen

#24 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

B & O GUY, on May 6 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

Jim

Maybe you could make some. Train Sim Modeler is still available and there is much help on the web and here at ET. The more the merrier as
they say.

Allen

Allen,

If I was 30-40 years younger and actually had some computer skills beyond running a GP38 I would try it. For now I'm happy just running activities and enjoying what is contributed by talented people like yourself. I'm really more of a hands on guy. I could build a working steamer in my garage faster then I could learn to do it on a computer..

Jim

#25 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:36 AM

hiball3985, on May 7 2009, 12:51 AM, said:

Allen,

If I was 30-40 years younger and actually had some computer skills beyond running a GP38 I would try it. For now I'm happy just running activities and enjoying what is contributed by talented people like yourself. I'm really more of a hands on guy. I could build a working steamer in my garage faster then I could learn to do it on a computer..

Jim

Jim;

If you have overlooked the GMAX tutorial that I rewrote last year, you can take a look at it here. GMAX is free and I attempted to make this tutorial for a person like yourself, who doesn't have the slightest clue how to use and 3D modeling program. When I started rewriting this tutorial, I had not used GMAX in almost 4 years and back then, I had the skills to make a rectangular box with some textures for building signs and such. Making and animating a loco, I did not have a clue. I learned as I wrote the tutorial, so give yourself a few evenings, or whatever free time you have and run through this. There also is a PDF download of the tutorial available in the Downloads section. All links to download GMAX are in the tutorial.

If you are a hands on guy, this is an excellent way to get started. I know this is not written for TSM or 3D Canvas, but the modeling principles are the same for any 3D modeling program. 3D modeling is very addictive. This is why you see folks like Allen and many others continually adding new things for the sims.

I think if you can runs anything with MSTS, you will be able to successfully create a working model with this tutorial. The loco may not be anything that you would ever use, but seeing your creation run in the sim will give you a true feeling of accomplishment.

Don't try to give any excuse for your age. I am in my 60's and managed to make that tutorial useful and learned a lot about 3D modeling while (re)writing it. I won't tell you that you will become an expert after completing the tutorial. Ask anyone who has been using any 3D modeling program for any number of years if they consider themselves experts, and I doubt that you will get one "Yes" for an answer.

Don't sell yourself short and say "I doubt that I can do it".

#26 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

Robbie, on May 6 2009, 06:45 AM, said:

Great engines; but what the heck is up with the engine on the turntable in the fifth pic?!?

You weren't supposed to notice that. Good old non working MSTS turntables!

#27 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

B & O GUY, on May 6 2009, 08:06 PM, said:

Capt.

Does that ZLIB work with alpha channels. I actually use alpha channel graphics to make see through parts. It's a poor mans boolean operation
or a laser cutter if you will. I've been using this little technique to make truck side frames lately both for diesel models and tender trucks. It's
a way of having good detail without a heavy poly count. A stack of 10-2 poly rectangles makes for good thickness for a side frame. The poly's
are stacked close together and then joined. They are then changed to transnormal and the alpha graphic is applied. In TSM it looks like a black
block with some images on it but in MSTS the black areas dissappear leaving only the image showing on the poly's.

What program is used for ZLIB? I might like to try that out.

Allen <_<

Bazza? Alpha channels? Oh my. :D

#28 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

captain_bazza, on May 6 2009, 05:54 AM, said:

Let he who is without grumpiness, let me know the name of his laxative.

<_<

Cheers Bazza

Attached Image: Grumpy.jpg

#29 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

Earlier today I posted a response to Chille Bill regarding loco modeling. It disappeared, did I do something wrong that got it deleted?

Jim

#30 Inactive_geode_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

rfranzosa, on May 6 2009, 07:34 AM, said:

:lol: :D :D <_< :D

Bazza, you made my day !!!!

RGF

Don't know anything about grumpiness. Obstiness I know lot of, the only cure I know is to get dressed down by moderators. :lol:

George

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users