Elvas Tower: Some for the Guys from Boston - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some for the Guys from Boston Some New Progress Shots of the B&A/NH Boston Route Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on Feb 22 2009, 03:32 PM, said:

I dunno about Boston but I do know that housing and transportation downtown went hand in hand, often the same hands actually. It was pretty common all over for land developers to build the street car system to the land they owned, thereby making it more valuable. In the earliest days it often would start w/ horse cars and penny ante land speculators. With electricity -- and city government quite ready to reduce the output of horses, both iron horse and haired horse would go by the wayside and better capitialized developers would step in. In Chicago, it was the head of the electricity company who pushed both development and transportation. Out here in the bay area it was a Mining magnate that took the plunge. But it always started w/ land + transportation. Of course, the owned land got developed and all that was left then was transportation and in due time that was a pretty crummy business to be in.

Locally here in Cincinnati, there is an abandoned subway system that was never completed. The story I heard, when they planned the system, the city was the same relative size as New York & Chicago. Those two cities invested in mass transit, Cincinnati abandoned it. You can see the results.

RGF

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

View Postrfranzosa, on Feb 22 2009, 01:30 PM, said:

Locally here in Cincinnati, there is an abandoned subway system that was never completed. The story I heard, when they planned the system, the city was the same relative size as New York & Chicago. Those two cities invested in mass transit, Cincinnati abandoned it. You can see the results.

RGF

Or they figured out it just wasn't going to happen (i.e, massive growth) and decided not to waste the money.

#13 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

View PostCARex, on Feb 12 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

"...My recollection was that the sign was white with green lettering and a green border, but it may have been green when lit up...
IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO..."

...IN A CITY FAR FAR AWAY.

Que the music!!

Later.

That is my recollection of the Cities Services logo too. We had a small Cities Services tank truck fill up the gasonline tank on our farm every month and that white background with green lettering sticks in my mind. Never saw any sign or logo that was 100% green.

#14 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

View PostChile Bill, on Feb 23 2009, 04:54 AM, said:

That is my recollection of the Cities Services logo too. We had a small Cities Services tank truck fill up the gasonline tank on our farm every month and that white background with green lettering sticks in my mind. Never saw any sign or logo that was 100% green.

I think the sign behind Fenway was animated, with green neon tubes that would turn on and off, fill the sign with green light. Again, a long time ago... :lol:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users