• You cannot reply to this topic

Large screen monitor Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

I was having some fun today, experimenting w/ pumping PC images into a large screen TV. I thought I'd show you a couple photos that were taken.

First one is my windows desktop as seen on a 60" plasma TV screen, me on the right. I was able to send a 1920 X 1200 signal to the TV, which is what I use on my real monitor, a 24" widescreen from HP.

Attached Image: Clipboard10.jpg

Me pointing to the activity I'm about to run.

Attached Image: Clipboard11.jpg

Trying to set up the camera position to show something that's roughly equivalent to HO scale (this is still too close).

Attached Image: Clipboard12.jpg

The heck w/ HO scale, let's see these puppies up close. That's Marc Nelson's model.

Attached Image: Clipboard13.jpg

And a nice looking SFRD reefer from Tim Muir. This last image is ~ 3000 pixels wide (straight off the camera); all the others have been cropped and then cut in size by half.

Attached Image: Clipboard14.jpg

Stuff that can be displayed in native HD -- 1920 X 1080 -- that stuff looks really, really good.

IMO the future of model railroading is hinted at right here.

#2 User is offline   PNWTransitFreak 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:TS2013

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

:lol: Very cool! :lol: Did I see Key System in there?

#3 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Unfortuately, you get the wide screen distortion when filling a wide screen with the default 4:3 ratio MSTS, resulting in some bizarre looking models.

Along this line, I purchased a wide screen LCD monitor only to discover that I couldn't make MSTS display in 4:3... so I took the sucker back and found one of the last 4:3 LCD monitors left on the shelves! Hope this monitor lasts a while.

Andre

#4 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

• Senior Foreman of Engines
  • Group: Status: Senior Foreman, Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS-V1.5.1

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:24 AM

That's the problem - everythings going to 9:16 aspect ratio.

#5 User is offline   Tony 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Post icon  Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Hello Dave
That looks AWESOME! :lol: Now I'm deeply envious. :lol: Hey this works for 9:16 aspect ratio http://www.juddspittler.com/spittler_engin..._and_tricks.htm. I set the game monitor size set to 1600x1200x32. Lets You minimise TS too.

Cheers Tony :lol:

#6 User is offline   Bert Wise 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hi Dave

Very nice setup. I also have a 60" monitor but the media computer I have hooked up to it is too underpowered to run MSTS at anything above 10 fps. So I don't bother right now.

Where did you get what I assume is a modified startup screen for launching route and activities that you showed in your second picture ?

Thanks

Bert

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

Bert: Pretty sure those alternative screens came from Marc Nelson at 3dtrains.

Tony: Thanks for the screen tip, I'll look into it.

Andre & Tom: I could have set a program switch to get a windowed 4:3 ratio but just wasn't thinking about it at the time.

D'Mario: Yes, it does say Key System in there but for the most part only the freight operations are included and that had been sold to WP/ATSF to create the Oakland Terminal in the era covered by the route. Still, the O.T. borrowed a SN cab locomotive for the duty outside of the port area so an overhead wire is represented. I've been fiddling w/ .eng files trying to see what needs to be done to run an electric on a non-electric route. No luck so far.

All: I took plenty of other photos but as I had very limited assistance w/ the camera only a few have me standing there to add the right perspective to the image. Lighting in the room was dim, no flash could be used (reflection), and so the shutter speed was quite slow... meaning most of the images are blurred. And I noticed there was a color shift in the photos making greens over-saturated. Not sure if that was the TV or the camera or both. So it wasn't perfect by any means, but still, IMO, a peek at the future.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users