Elvas Tower: Some N&W in the New Year - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some N&W in the New Year Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_NW_611_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Post icon  Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

For the New Year, I thought it best to start off with Precision Transportation. Thus, a couple o' shots from a recent spin around Allegheny Rails with a certain 4-8-4 of international renown:

Attached Image: scrgrb0.jpg

One of the pride of the Norfolk and Western Railway's fleet of modern roller bearing-equipped locomotives hustles across a bridge on the way to Cincinnati with the N&W's new streamliner, The Powhatan Arrow.

Attached Image: scrgrb1.jpg

A going away shot as No. 25 heads into one of the many well-developed and growing cities along the Norfolk and Western Railway.

Attached Image: scrgrb3.jpg

Up close and personal with 611, the twelfth locomotive of the fourteen locomotive "J" class. The engineer is clearly observing the N&W dictum that, "Black smoke is waste" as the train glides through an urban curve.

Anyways, happy New Year to all!

Route: Allegheny Rails by Michael Stephan.
Locomotive: j611.zip and nwj484.zip by Mike Karlik, Mike Adams, Georges Denland and John Means.
Passenger Cars: nwpass.zip by Thomas Pearce.

#2 User is offline   revich 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the reminder of what a nice route the Allegheny Rails is for screen shots. As for those the trainset, I'm downloading those files right now! :unknw:

Rich

#3 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Apparently not all N&W engineman adhered to that dictum of gray smoke is waste. I don't think I've
ever seen coal burn and make white smoke. Not unless your using a fume scrubber or some other
device. And not many railroads in the steam era had those. If you want to go, you gotta make heat
and plenty of it and the way to do that is burn something. Most fossil and organic fuels make other
than white smoke. I think that when the engineer cranked the throttle and the fireman cranked the
stoker before some grade in Virginia or West Virginia, not much thought was taken as to what color
the smoke was. And then there was the other consideration. N&W was smack dab in the middle of
coal country. Do you think they were worried about short fuel supplies? Here's some pictures of
engines making other than white smoke. White smoke is really escaping steam.

Allen

#4 Inactive_mjs2101_*

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

With a skilled fireman and good coal, any engine could be fired in most places without creating much black smoke. Also, many times an engineer and fireman would create black smoke for a photo op. I have spoken with engineers/firemen from the NS steam program, and they stated they had to work to get black smoke out of those engines. Besides, if you would have seen the 611 going up Saluda, one thing you did not see was black smoke while going up the mountain. It was a clean stack!

Mykel

#5 User is offline   dantheman 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

those are 2-8-8-4s (or 2-8-8-2s) to

#6 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

So what your saying is that the N&W's equipment was in 100 % first rate condition all the time. They didn't have dirty flues or steam
leaks or any of the other maladies that steam locomotives had in their lifetime. I know for a fact that when you run boilers with all
kinds of different water conditions and different mineral conditions that boilers tend to build up mineral deposits on flues and the internal
shell. Those deposits build over time and make a boiler harder to fire requiring more heavy firing. And then there's the top rate coal
question. Do you think that they always got coal at the service area? No. They made a pass under the same coal tipple that was filling
the coal cars they were pulling. Why make a special trip somewhere else for a fill up.

Talking to an engineer of an excursion train doesn't mean a thing to me. He's running a piece of equipment that see's little use and
is kept in top condition with regular maintainence and kid glove care. That's not the real world. And besides. In the 30's, 40's, and 50's
nobody worried about green house gasses and worm holes in the ozone.

I've lived in the Salamanca, NY area all my life. I remember steam locomotives very well. The old BR&P main ran behind my house about
300 feet away. We had a light gray roof turned black and soot abounded on everything outside. My mother had to dry clothes in the garage
as they still didn't have dryers then. Oily water rained on everything outside and my fathers white clapboard sided house was always streaked
and dirty. Then came the clean diesels and everything was better. No more sulphur smelling air and dingy laundry and outside things.

Allen

#7 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

And another thing. I didn't say black smoke. Black smoke is a low light condition of the underside of a heavy gray column. Black smoke came
more from oil fired locomotives especially just before a heavy grade when the fireman would sand the flues so they would have maximum
heat absorbtion. The sanding operation removed soot from the flues. It was performed with a shovel full of sand held in front of the firebox
door and the air rushing through the door would pull the sand from the shovel and through the flues, cleaning them.

Allen

#8 User is offline   streamline 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Hello,
here you can look at some photos of some engine crews cleaning the boiler tubes in that manner: http://www.bundesbahnzeit.de/Galerien/Mit%...and/galerie.htm
The oil fired class 012 Pacifics belonged to the shed of Hamburg-Altona (not Altoona on the PRR :huh: ), and a favorite place for this action was Hindenburg dam on the way to the island of Sylt in the North Sea.

Keep on steamin'!
Dietmar

#9 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hey Dietmar

Long time no hear from. Those are some great pictures. I wish I could read German so I would know what the information was on each
locomotives. Yes! That's what I was talking about. I don't know what the air velocity was through the doors but it was enough to suck the
sand right off the shovel, through the flues and up the stack. The railroads managment didn't approve of such actions as it was very hard
on the flues and led to their premature failure. I used to punch flues on two industrial boilers every Saturday morning in my younger days.
A nasty job. Took all the rest of the day getting the grime out of your hide. The brush was pushed through to the back sheet and then
pulled back on which the blades would open and pull the soot and sulphur back towards you. On exit the sulphur would drop straight to
the floor, but the soot would swirl around on the air currents and cover your face and everything else in the area. To bad Mike Rowe
wasn't around then cause that was a real "Dirty Jobs".

PS: I pulled all the other duty on those boilers. All the dirty parts anyway.

Allen

#10 Inactive_GG12332_*

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

NW_611, on Jan 2 2009, 05:26 AM, said:

For the New Year, I thought it best to start off with Precision Transportation. Thus, a couple o' shots from a recent spin around Allegheny Rails with a certain 4-8-4 of international renown:

scrgrb0.jpg

One of the pride of the Norfolk and Western Railway's fleet of modern roller bearing-equipped locomotives hustles across a bridge on the way to Cincinnati with the N&W's new streamliner, The Powhatan Arrow.

scrgrb1.jpg

A going away shot as No. 25 heads into one of the many well-developed and growing cities along the Norfolk and Western Railway.

scrgrb3.jpg

Up close and personal with 611, the twelfth locomotive of the fourteen locomotive "J" class. The engineer is clearly observing the N&W dictum that, "Black smoke is waste" as the train glides through an urban curve.

Anyways, happy New Year to all!

Route: Allegheny Rails by Michael Stephan.
Locomotive: j611.zip and nwj484.zip by Mike Karlik, Mike Adams, Georges Denland and John Means.
Passenger Cars: nwpass.zip by Thomas Pearce.

NW_611, Great screenprints! Thanks for posting them as well as the including the file names so that others may download and run them! By the way, I was unable to find your name, so that is why I addressed you by your username!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users