• Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

You do EXCELLENT work, my man....

#12 User is offline   august1929 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

Very nice indeed. Out of interest, if you pull the camera back and/or up a bit, what depth of scenery are you managing to get in the routes you are customising. Are you scenicing back to about a scale 1/2 to a mile back from the track with the placement of extra objects etc?

The problem I have is that I like to run about a hundred feet above the engine, off to one side, and for myself I need to make sure there is about a scale mile or so on flat land, or 1/2 mile (say) in hilly territory to make certain it is believeable (in other words, not just tree corridors). It was Blackfoot/Vegreville 2 that really brought that home to me - that showed the real value of "depth" modelling, but thinking about it, that is exactly what Wayne was doing 2 to 3 years ago on the L&PS.

That is one of the reasons why I used to run the desert routes so much (Cajon, TP2 etc.) because it had been relatively easy for the route builders to place scenery a good distance away from the track. On Andre Ming's (V Scale Creations) A&O Sub I have been able to place scenery to the visible limit of the sim and it certainly makes a huge difference when panning around at altitude (maybe I just need to go back to flightsims :clapping: ).

Have you tried any Mosaic work on the track bed? Adds a whole load, and with "depth" as well... Also, using Google Earth to get a look at the actual area and match in hedgerows etc.

Attached Image: mae6.jpg

Attached Image: mae2.jpg

Attached Image: AE13.jpg

Yes, this sim is definitely alive and well :lol: - any doubts about that you only need to look at Tim's PE route and traction models to see that.

Looking forward to some more shots.

Rod

#13 User is offline   Snootnose 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

View Postaugust1929, on Nov 19 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

Very nice indeed. Out of interest, if you pull the camera back and/or up a bit, what depth of scenery are you managing to get in the routes you are customising. Are you scenicing back to about a scale 1/2 to a mile back from the track with the placement of extra objects etc?

The problem I have is that I like to run about a hundred feet above the engine, off to one side, and for myself I need to make sure there is about a scale mile or so on flat land, or 1/2 mile (say) in hilly territory to make certain it is believeable (in other words, not just tree corridors). It was Blackfoot/Vegreville 2 that really brought that home to me - that showed the real value of "depth" modelling, but thinking about it, that is exactly what Wayne was doing 2 to 3 years ago on the L&PS.

That is one of the reasons why I used to run the desert routes so much (Cajon, TP2 etc.) because it had been relatively easy for the route builders to place scenery a good distance away from the track. On the A&O Sub I have been able to place scenery to the visible limit of the sim and it certainly makes a huge difference when panning around at altitude (maybe I just need to go back to flightsims :clapping: ).

Have you tried any Mosaic work on the track bed?

The sim is definitely alive and well :lol: - only need to look at Tim's PE and models to see that.

Looking forward to some more shots.

Rod

It depends on the route. Some routes I go all out in every direction and some roues I treat like like a shelf style layout. I was a model railroader before a virtual railroader and sometimes apply techniques accordingly. Sometimes with a shelf style layout I can really super detail and focus on the area of travel or action. My M&M upgrade is an example where you will see both. Shelf style where applicable on long forested runs, panned out scenery in active areas. I would also like to add that I would some day like to be able to run your upgrade of the A&O. I own the original route but would love to be able to enjoy your version.

#14 User is offline   Snootnose 

• Apprentice

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

I wasn't sure you guys would be interested in the stuff I create because I know you all are more into steam and traction. I am a real modern guy. I usually only run 1990's to present. Here are a few more shots of my stuff.

Attached Image: Untitled0_16_36_12.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_18_24_20.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_1_27_20.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_21_35_10.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_19_39_29.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_4_35_7.jpg

#15 User is offline   Snootnose 

• Apprentice

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

Attached Image: Untitled0_21_41_16.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_21_42_15.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_23_23_2.jpg

Attached Image: Untitled0_23_56_42.jpg

#16 Inactive_SPTrains_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

Is that the NS Birmingham Route with the BNSF NS Locomotives.

#17 User is offline   Snootnose 

• Apprentice

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

View PostSPTrains, on Nov 20 2008, 08:03 PM, said:

Is that the NS Birmingham Route with the BNSF NS Locomotives.

Yes it is.

#18 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

Fantastic work, there, Mr. Snootnose, lovely wildflowers and vegetation in general. It goes to show the ol' sim does very well with a bit of TLC.

Rod, same goes with your screens too, as always. :clapping:

#19 User is offline   Snootnose 

• Apprentice

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:14 PM

View Posttimmuir, on Nov 20 2008, 11:41 PM, said:

Fantastic work, there, Mr. Snootnose, lovely wildflowers and vegetation in general. It goes to show the ol' sim does very well with a bit of TLC.

Rod, same goes with your screens too, as always. :clapping:

A compliment from you Mr. Muir is big and means a lot to me. I am a big fan of your work. You inspire me to do what I do with my routes. I love the way you create different scenes you create with your fine artistry. I always tell my MSTS friends how I am in awe of your work. I love the buildings you create. I model 1990 to present but always try to use your work when ever I can in small or country towns where items like yours can still be seen.

#20 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

That's great to hear, because one of the purposes of this hobby, for me, is to share not only models, but ideas and maybe some inspiration. :clapping:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users