Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screenshots of The American Freedom Train Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   majorursa 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

Here are some screenshots I did of four different Freedom Trains.

1. Here is the first Freedom Train. I took this one on the Northeast Corridor route (USA1A). After World War 2, a group of people crated a train to display some historical documents of American History. In 1947, a brand new ALCO PA1 would take 7 car train across America to display those famous documents. They would range from the Magna Carta to the surender documents of WW 2. A Marine honor guard would sereve a guards troughout the run. Here it is leaving Washington, D.C. on its way to its first stop in Philadelphia, PA. The run would end in 1948. Besides displaying archived documents, it also gave the people a chance to understand the roles of a United States citizen.
Attached Image: AFT_1776_lv_Washington_D.C..jpg

2. Now here is another Freedom Train 29 years later. This time, one of three steam locomotives will pull a longer train across America in honor of the nation's Bicentenial. On the same NEC4 route, American Freedom Train #1 dose the honors. It is in Washington, D.C. in late March heading on its way to its first stop in Wilmington, Delaware. In this screenshot, a Berkshire is pulling the train. In real life, Reading T-1 Northern 2101 did most of the work. It was changed to number 1 for this train. It was the first locomotive to pull the train untill Southern Pacific GS4 4449
was ready. It also served when 4449 was in for maintenance or places where 4449 could not go. They would meet in Chicago in the Spring of 1975. There, 4449 took over for the western run. They would meet again in Birmingham, Alabama in early 1976 so 4449 can get some rest while Number 1 took care of stops in the midwest and north. They met one last time in Washington, D.C. in September of 1976. There, 4449 took it the rest of the way to its final stop in Miami, Florida. AFT 1 had three diferent looks during its run.
Attached Image: AFT1___Washington_pic2.jpg

3. Now here is Southern Pacific GS4 Daylight 4449. She was selected to be the main locomotive for the trains tour. She was taken from a park in Portland, Oregon to the Burlington Northern shops at Brooklyn Yards. But problems would have ment delays for her. However, Reading 2101 would start the journey after a quick and sucessful rebuild at the Baltimore and Ohio Riverside shops in Baltimore, Maryland. Evenetually, 4449 would be ready to take over in Chicago, Illinois. But soon wheel problems would have her sidelined at the Union Pacific shops in Omaha, Nebraska. She would return to duty with a run with Union Pacific 844 (she was UP 8444 at that time) to Ogden, Utah where 4449 rejoined the train for the rest of the 1975 portion of the tour up to California. There she continued the tour to Texas where Texas and Pacific 610 took over in early 1976. Then 4449 took over for the rest of the run to Birmingham. There, she was relived by AFT 1. By September, 4449 would finish the run to Miami. Here is 4449 in Birch, Georgia in late November. The train is about to do its final stops in Florida.
Attached Image: AFT_4449_Birch__GA_shot_1.jpg

4. Now we have Texas and Pacific 610 at the lead. She did all of Texas portion of the tour. Here in this screenshot, I have her at Las, Vegas, New Mexico on the Santa Fe Raton Pass 3 route since ther were no Texas routes available. 610 is also in her post Freedom Train colors as a Southern Railway excursion locomotive.
Attached Image: AFT_610___Las_Vegas__NM_shot_2.jpg

#2 User is offline   revich 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:26 AM

You have made an nteresting post about what was a pretty big deal in the mid-70's. ;) It makes me wish that I hadn't been in college at the time with not much time for anything else besides books. ;) Thanks for sharing the memories.

Rich

#3 User is offline   majorursa 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

I did get to see the 1975/1976 version of the Freedom Train when it came to Richmond in October of 1976. It stopped at the Defence General Supply Center in the southside of town. SP 4449 was the lead locomotive when I saw it.

Things to note

Reading 2101 (A.K.A. #1): After the tour, she went on to do 2 years with Chessie Systems (a predicesor od CSX) doing steam excursions on the line for The Baltimore and Ohio's 150th aniversery. It was know as Chessie Steam Specials. But sadly in 1979, a roundhouse fire in Russel, Kentucky would ruin her. But the good thing was that she was restored to be on display at the B&O Museum in Baltimore in her American Freedom Train colors.

T&P 610: Would serve on Southern Railway till 1980 or 1981 doing excursions. Today, she is home at Texas State Railroad in Palistine, Texas.

Southern Pacific 4449: After the tour ended, she would do a special Amtrak train back to Portland. She would do special excursions that continue today. She was also in the movie Tough Guys.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users