• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some loco recycling Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   streamline 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hallo!
On my Seligman trip I noticed ATSF 3759 displayed on a short piece of track. That's when I remembered that I had Tom Price's 3751, a repaint of Rick Grout's SPS700 on my HD. I hadn't used the engine very often, because I didn't like the big gap between loco and tender and the missing ladders to the cab. (Justin Cornell's GS4 tender)
In the second of my two books about US steamers I found a photo of ATSF 3761. The look of this engine was closer to SPS700 than 3751 although not qute exact either. And the tender was completely different. I think it was a coal tender with an oil tank built in later. So I renumbered the loco and one of Allen's tenders (he generously added the Santa Fe font to his models) played around a little with the size and coupler values, and gave the tender a new coat of paint to match the engine better.
My thought was: When the loco isn't quite exact, it's not much of a problem if it hasn't got the right tender. I hope the rivet counters - I usually belong to this species too - will forgive me, and won't tar and feather me and chase me out of town. But today the rivet counter in me had his day off, and a little kitbashing was much fun.

Attached Image: 2900Seligman31.jpg

Attached Image: 3761.jpg

Attached Image: SFCAN153.jpg

Keep on steamin'!
Dietmar

#2 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS or Open Rails

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

Nice work. Are you going to release the new numbered one? The 3761, I mean. She looks great. Especially since she's got those nice white highlighted areas. :birthday:

#3 User is offline   streamline 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:17 AM

Hallo Edwin
Thank you for your kind words - I wouldn't dare to call my little kitbashing and renumbering a great piece of artwork. By the way, I only renumbered the engine. The white areas were there before.

@ all: Is there any interest in the release of this more ore less fictional engine? (Details not correct: domes, two air pumps, number boards, pipework below the running board, difference between heighth of cab floor and tender bridge apart from tender not being prototypical at all). If you were interested I'd try to get permission to upload the engine. If this is not possible I could write an instruction, so everyone could make the changes him/herself. I think the operation isn't too difficult as my abilities in repainting are quite limited.
Please give me your opinions.

Keep on steamin'!
Dietmar

#4 Inactive_Southwest Chief_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

Nice job :birthday:

I visited the real 3759 many years ago and repainted one for the Streamlines Seligman Sub using the 3751 shape by 3DTrainStuff and a caboose from 3DTrainStuff's Cajon Pass.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/fdoti/_uimages/SantaFe_3759_1.jpg

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/fdoti/_uimages/SantaFe_3759_2.jpg

This post has been edited by Southwest Chief: 31 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users