• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stopping at a station near you... BLLW Latest Repaint... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   TVRRMAN 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Railworks

Post icon  Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

During a recent tour on the Bay Fork and Northeastern (The Bay Fork Lines), I noticed there was little if any traffic movement. I then decided to take a closer look at the Bay Fork's facilities around its namesake town, Bay Fork PA.

Sitting there on display and basking in the sunlight, The American Freedom Train had decided That while Bay Fork was small, it still warranted its own privatized display times. (For those not familiar with this train, please visit http://www.freedomtrain.org.) With my trusty camera in hand, I decided to snap off some photos.

Clean as ever, PA1 #1776 still has the sheen of new paint fresh from Schenectady.
Attached Image: AFT1947_PA1.jpg

Beyond that, An ATSF Heavyweight Baggage Car modified with a generator inside, handles the trains power during display sessions.
Attached Image: AFT1947_BAGGAGE.jpg

The trains three exhibit cars were all PRR P70R coaches modified with Climate control and had their windows completely blocked to avoid light getting in and damaging the displayed historical documents. The emblem on the door closest to the camera is the Emblem of the American heritage Foundation, one of the Trains sponsors.
Notice the Eagle on this car.
Attached Image: AFT1947_P70R_1.jpg

P70R #2 bears Gold emblems saying "American Freedom Train"
Attached Image: AFT1947_P70R_2.jpg

P70R #3, Like P70R #1, also carries an Eagle
Attached Image: AFT1947_P70R_3.jpg

For the Trains crew and Army Guard (It carried a specially assigned squadron for protecting the train and its priceless documents) The train also carried two Pullman Sleepers and a Pullman Sleeper Lounge observation (of the heavyweight variety)

Sleeper #1, the Glen Fee. Oddly enough, this is the only car out of the real train preserved...
Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_1.jpg

Sleeper #2.
Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_2.jpg

Sleeper #3. I managed to capture a few images showing the sides and even the trains specially made drumhead
Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_3Obs1.jpg

Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_3Obs2.jpg

Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_3Obs3.jpg

For those interested, this set is available for download over at bllw.net, under the repaints section of the download area.

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hi Tom, nice set. I remember seeing an article about this very train in an old National Geographic from the late 40's. Whatever became of all the equipment?

#3 User is offline   TVRRMAN 

• Fireman

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

timmuir, on Aug 5 2008, 01:18 PM, said:

Hi Tom, nice set. I remember seeing an article about this very train in an old National Geographic from the late 40's. Whatever became of all the equipment?

Tim, From what I read on Freedomtrain.org, the PA1 went back to Alco and was given a complete overhaul, then sold to the GM&O with an "as new" warranty on it. The only additional features to it that showed its heritage were two bronze plaques that were affixed below the cab. The cars to the train were returned to their respective owners, refurbished and placed back into service to finish out their useful service lives. The three Pullman Cars were rebuilt and placed back into the Pullman operational pool service. With the exception of the Glen Fee, the rest of the rolling stock was scrapped by its respective owners. Today the Glen Fee is preserved and undergoing restoration.

#4 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Nice bit of history, Thomas

RGF

#5 Inactive_NW_611_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

You've already got my download---thanks!

#6 User is offline   TVRRMAN 

• Fireman

Post icon  Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

NW_611, on Aug 5 2008, 09:19 PM, said:

You've already got my download---thanks!

Thanks for the patronage... :dance3: :birthday:
I guess we got a little "wired" lately too... :o (Sorry Tim for the Electric Humor)

Attached Image: BLLW380.jpg

Attached Image: BLLW400.jpg

Attached Image: BLLW399.jpg

I uploaded the twelve pack of these to the freeware repaints section of BLLW's website.

#7 Inactive_jordy_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

TVRRMAN, on Aug 5 2008, 06:51 AM, said:

During a recent tour on the Bay Fork and Northeastern (The Bay Fork Lines), I noticed there was little if any traffic movement. I then decided to take a closer look at the Bay Fork's facilities around its namesake town, Bay Fork PA.

Sitting there on display and basking in the sunlight, The American Freedom Train had decided That while Bay Fork was small, it still warranted its own privatized display times. (For those not familiar with this train, please visit http://www.freedomtrain.org.) With my trusty camera in hand, I decided to snap off some photos.

Clean as ever, PA1 #1776 still has the sheen of new paint fresh from Schenectady.
AFT1947_PA1.jpg

Beyond that, An ATSF Heavyweight Baggage Car modified with a generator inside, handles the trains power during display sessions.
AFT1947_BAGGAGE.jpg

The trains three exhibit cars were all PRR P70R coaches modified with Climate control and had their windows completely blocked to avoid light getting in and damaging the displayed historical documents. The emblem on the door closest to the camera is the Emblem of the American heritage Foundation, one of the Trains sponsors.
Notice the Eagle on this car.
AFT1947_P70R_1.jpg

P70R #2 bears Gold emblems saying "American Freedom Train"
AFT1947_P70R_2.jpg

P70R #3, Like P70R #1, also carries an Eagle
AFT1947_P70R_3.jpg

For the Trains crew and Army Guard (It carried a specially assigned squadron for protecting the train and its priceless documents) The train also carried two Pullman Sleepers and a Pullman Sleeper Lounge observation (of the heavyweight variety)

Sleeper #1, the Glen Fee. Oddly enough, this is the only car out of the real train preserved...
AFT1947_Pullman_1.jpg

Sleeper #2.
AFT1947_Pullman_2.jpg

Sleeper #3. I managed to capture a few images showing the sides and even the trains specially made drumhead
AFT1947_...an_3Obs1.jpg

AFT1947_...an_3Obs2.jpg

AFT1947_...an_3Obs3.jpg

For those interested, this set is available for download over at bllw.net, under the repaints section of the download area.

LOL That was the train they should have used for the Silver Streak movie!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: AFT1947_PA1.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_BAGGAGE.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_P70R_1.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_P70R_2.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_P70R_3.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_1.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_2.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_3Obs1.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_3Obs2.jpg
  • Attached Image: AFT1947_Pullman_3Obs3.jpg

Page 1 of 1