Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Commerical Screens? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Are screens of a commercial route being developed permissable here?

Andre Ming

#2 User is offline   engineerzach 

• Conductor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

If you're talking about the Ozark northern, then YES YES YES!!!

:birthday: I can't answer for the moderators, but I don't see any reason you can’t... But I guess just to be on the safe side, you should wait for an official word...

Zach

#3 Inactive_NW_611_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

I'm crossing my fingers that he means the old Lehigh & New England route that was once under development. :birthday:

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

IMO, for anyone doing payware: sharing payware screen shots from the developer is fine but please don't turn it into a perpetual advertising campaign where ads are the only thing we get from the person posting. IOW, participation in the forums as one of the guys is expected.

So Andre, whaccha got for us to see?

#5 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:41 AM

Coonskin, on Jul 26 2008, 10:34 PM, said:

Are screens of a commercial route being developed permissable here?

Andre Ming

I know this is a touchy subject with some people

As a payware creator, you can advise us if you object to screenshots of modifications to any of your routes and we would remove those posts or topics. The same holds true of any payware creator, regardless of the content.

The recent thread on the Canton route modifications caused me to send an email to Rich Garber.
Attached Image: Captured1.jpg

Question answered?

#6 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I also appreciate the input by the moderators.

Needn't worry about an ongoing commercial blurb. I'm just not able to give the sim that much time anymore, so not a lot of progress takes place. :birthday: Plus, its been my experience that Elvas Tower has a much more relaxed traffic volume and atmosphere, with more specific interests represented, resulting in an easy going place: Not excactly the perfect place for an advertising blitz.

However, like any modeler, I do enjoy sharing pics of my efforts and chit-chatting about it. I view Elvas Tower as a "neutral" zone. That is, it's not a forum that I am responsible for (i.e. my VSC forum), nor is it a zoo. It's been my experience that this is a place where some excellent modelers hang out along with some mature forumites (mature as in "old farts" :party: as well as younger ones that are "grown up"!).

NW_611:

So sorry, but the L&NE is still just sitting on a CD. The issues that I got into with it is not uncommon when trying to replicate a prototype: Object count. For the first portion I was modeling (Pen Argyl to Augusta), the Pen Argyl yard proved to be a butt-kicker. I was up to something like 500-600 objects and didn't even have the yard tracks and roads finished... and the scenery was still to come! Plus, after expending all the effort to get the track in, I stepped back and looked at it: There wasn't much to "do" (operationally) once finished. The final result was that my personal appreciation of the LNE wasn't sufficient to warrant it as a commercial endeavor. However, it IS reponsible for the excellent LNE equipment pack that Gaetan Belanger produced, so some good came of it. Trouble was, in the past sometimes my enthusiasm for a potential project caused me to jump on the bangwagon and share things too prematurely... which I did with the LNE. I've since learned to try to hold back sharing things "officially" about a project until it really does have a realistic chance of being produced/released.

However, I do miss just toying with the sim and chit-chatting... which is what I hope to do here: No "official" pressure, just share and talk as "one of the guys". (If that's possible anymore.) However, the stuff I'll be sharing will have an eye toward eventually being a commerical release. Thus, my original question, which has now been answered.

Now... I've got to figure out how to post pics. :party:

Andre

#7 Inactive_NW_611_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:20 AM

Bother! I had just recently gotten the Carstens L&NE book, and I thought to myself, "Hey, with the new advantages of MSTSbin, maybe whatever problems he had can be overcome", and all that was needed was an earnest plea.

I do appreciate your efforts, because that whole project led to the BLW's horde of FAs, PAs, and so forth. Without that, I'd...have a lot fewer engines and a lot fewer railroads represented in the personal fleet than I do now. I'm not an L&NE scholar, but it seems that "wasn't much to do" is an accurate representation of the railroad, other than hauling coal, the hauling of coal, coal hauling, and er, coal traffic. Of course, I live in N&W country, so I can casually sit here and ask, "What's wrong with that?" (Set aside for the moment that there seems to have been a lucrative cement service as well.)

Won't bother you any more about the route---just thought I'd try and push for it. ;) (You know, if it won't be released as payware, there's always another option... ;) )

#8 User is offline   century242 

• Founder, Owner Emeritus
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

Andre,
I do not have a problem with you posting screens of your ongoing projects and I second what Dave posted.

As the owner of this site as well as a member of SLW, we regularly post screens of the Cal-P project and there is no way that I can say you can not post any pics of your work without condemning what we post.

Speaking of SLW, in the near future the two sites will be integrated and all links that you all may have will need to be re-adjusted. In the integration, all files that we have for download will eventually be transfered to the file library here. I am not too sure if we will have a "special" folder for SLW downloads or if they will just be put into the exsisting ones.

#9 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hi Eric!

Thanks for the follow up.

Hope you're still "enjoying" your move to UP? Gets to be a grind, doesn't it? Sure'nuf summertime has arrived in the Sunbelt, and the temps inside the non-air conditioned cabs that I run are hitting temps in the mid 100's and soon to be upper 100's - low teens.

NW_611:

You are correct that my little cottage business was indirectly responsible for Gaetan's expansive model library. I supplied Gaetan with many, many scale drawings of locomotives he has produced, as well as drawings of some still waiting to be produced. Gaetan has really taken the photo texture technique to very impressive levels. He is a great guy to deal with and I really admire him.

I don't know what to do with the LNE route, per se. Except for some nic-nacs in Pen Argyl, I think the track work is complete, and most of the roads are in place. Of course, the fastest portion of route building is laying the track and roads, it's filling that sea of green with goodies that takes so long.

It is so easy to let one's appreciation for a line cause a start to be made on a route, but once reality sets in, and in view of aiming an endeavor towards commercial release, there really is (in my opinion) the added factor required I call "play value". That is, I feel a route needs great "play value" once finished. SLW's Cal-P route is an excellent example of a route that will have incredible "play value". My lands... the screens I've seen of the industrial areas are amazing! So much industry to switch!

Hmmm... maybe a new thread is in order in a seperate forum... seems this one is headed toward an interesting "route philosophy" topic.

Andre

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users