• You cannot reply to this topic

Admin comment Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

May I ask that posters give some thought to starting a new thread when they are about to append a new post, full of new screenshots, to an exisiting thread? They're all great images but having to download and see the same stuff at the top, time and time again, when all I want to see is the latest, seems, well, I dunno what.. an imposition, a bit sloppy, whatever it is I can't really describe, but I'm finding it irksome enough to comment. Splitting the existing threads might be worthwhile too (for new members). I'm irritable these days too so if I'm off the mark here, please excuse the grumpyness.

#2 User is offline   august1929 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hey, you need to ask my kids about who is really irritable :rofl:.

Not got a problem with that Dave, but there are also the individual page buttons (if there are multiple pages) and the "Last post by" link which cuts out all the earlier stuff.

Rod

#3 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on Jul 2 2008, 11:52 PM, said:

May I ask that posters give some thought to starting a new thread when they are about to append a new post, full of new screenshots, to an exisiting thread? They're all great images but having to download and see the same stuff at the top, time and time again, when all I want to see is the latest, seems, well, I dunno what.. an imposition, a bit sloppy, whatever it is I can't really describe, but I'm finding it irksome enough to comment. Splitting the existing threads might be worthwhile too (for new members). I'm irritable these days too so if I'm off the mark here, please excuse the grumpyness.

Grumpy? Irritable? :rofl: No, it's summer time in Silicon Valley and I know first hand what that is like, especially on those super hot days when there is no air conditioning in the house.. I would call it a valid observation.

It did not take much thought to change the default system setting to display 10 posts per page for all topics. It was set at the "out of the box" default of 20 posts per topic. The forums are heavily laden with screenshots and other pictures. Loading these and reloading all of these images to see the latest reply is not necessary.

This also will reduce the system bandwidth usage by cutting down the number of images sent to member's systems for each page.

Posts with images that are hosted on other servers adds to the loading time, since loading those images is totally dependent on the external server's load to display the images on your screen.

See if this change makes things more tolerable.

Bill

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users