Elvas Tower: Touring the Rio Grande Southern Route V3 - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Touring the Rio Grande Southern Route V3 On DRGW 463 n 459 pulling a mix consist of 22 cars Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS or Open Rails

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

Here's my first screen shot set for you folks. It's using the Rio Grande Southern Route that's made by Jonathan Lewis. Also included here is his K-36 and a K-27 pulling 9 box cars also by Jonathan and 11 (coaches and 1 Silver Vista coach all by Jonathan) and a caboose by Tim Muir.

I hope you like the set of shots.

Attached Image: MSTS_001.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_002.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_003.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_004.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_005.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_006.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_007.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_008.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_009.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_010.jpg

Attached Image: MSTS_011.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_012.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_013.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_014.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_015.jpg

The next set is in the town of Dolores.
Attached Image: MSTS_016.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_017.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_018.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_019.jpg

That's it for my first stop coming from Durango at the southern most end of the route. I still have a few more hours to ride this route. At 25 mph limit it would take a good 6 or so hours to run the length of 160 miles depicted on the main line on this wonderful narrow gauge route.

Although sparsely vegetated and decorated. It's a nice run. But this is primarily what you would probably see back in the old days (at least in terms of towns).

#2 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:10 AM

Ahh, a warm (almost hot) summer day in the Rockies.

Interesting load on this trip. Looks like the management decided to make some revenue on this fan-trip..

#3 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:52 AM

View PostChile Bill, on May 12 2008, 03:10 AM, said:

Ahh, a warm (almost hot) summer day in the Rockies.

Interesting load on this trip. Looks like the management decided to make some revenue on this fan-trip..

Thanks for the compliment. Interesting you should say that about making revenue. Maybe back in the day. :)

But I've got to mention something, I've seen some nice video clips of the current steam trips the Durango and Silverton Railroad are doing. And seen some that are all freight. But I don't suppose those freight cars are packed like it would in the hey days of steam. Check out one example here from You Tube.

Plus, I wanted to see if I could make it with that pull even if they aren't all too heavy. :) The hills can get as steep as 4 % grade.

This post has been edited by ED_4: 12 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

#4 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:39 AM

Looks like that is a pretty nice video. Unfortunately, the $25 price plus shipping to Chile would make the price close to $100 for me.

If you want a really nice NG route to ride through take a look at this thread.

#5 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

View PostChile Bill, on May 12 2008, 06:39 AM, said:

Looks like that is a pretty nice video. Unfortunately, the $25 price plus shipping to Chile would make the price close to $100 for me.

If you want a really nice NG route to ride through take a look at this thread.

I love Don Karch's work. I even have his Colorado Rollins Pass/Moffat Tunnel route. Very nice indeed. However I haven't had the time to download it just yet. Maybe today I'll go and do that.

A shot on one of the recently released big articulates in TrainSim.com that I ran in Don Karch's Rollins Pass/Moffat Tunnel route is shown below. The train is OR&W Triplex that Mr. Cowen made so nicely.
http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08033/msts_000320.jpg

Update on this particular download, I think I do have this route. :) Just not installed yet on my MSTS Routes. It's most likely sitting in one of my archive CDR discs of downloads I've had for a while from TrainSim.com and several other places on everything MSTS.

This post has been edited by ED_4: 12 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

#6 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

Just installed some nice yard cams using the yardcam install utility. And got some more interesting angles on this scenery. The first few aren't on the yard cam. But you will notice which ones are.

Attached Image: MSTS_020.jpg

I like the trestles around this route.
Attached Image: MSTS_021.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_022.jpg

Just passing through another one of the small towns.
Attached Image: MSTS_023.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_024.jpg

That's supposed to be a smelter around the left in the shot below.
Attached Image: MSTS_025.jpg

This is the only bridge in this route that isn't wooden.
Attached Image: MSTS_026.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_027.jpg

Here's another nice long wooden bridge.
Attached Image: MSTS_028.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_029.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_030.jpg

Attached Image: MSTS_031.jpg

Attached Image: MSTS_032.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_033.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_034.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_035.jpg

This place here is called Lizard Head.
Attached Image: MSTS_036.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_037.jpg

These distance shots are using that yard cam. Some are even from the shots above.
Attached Image: MSTS_038.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_039.jpg
Attached Image: MSTS_040.jpg

I have a few more shots, but I don't know if I should post them. Seeing as there's hardly a limit set per post on the number of images per post, I'm not sure. :)

#7 Inactive_Jim_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:01 AM

Ugh..that bridge should be replaced :lol:

#8 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

This was the last route submitted by Johnathan Lewis, at least on any US site. That was in 2005. No updates or revisions since.

I have this route and have it filed on a DVD in a folder titled "Routes that need a lot of work" I probably will do nothing with it and eventually toss the DVD. There are too many other things I want to do first and before you know it, MSTS-X will be out and most of my MSTS-1 content will be gathering dust or get tossed in the trash.

It's slim pickings for NG routes out there. Any improvements to this route are going to be done by someone who really wants to do it.

#9 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

She's not the prettiest out there as far as narrow gauge routes are concerned. But considering it was free and no one else has done it. Who are we to complain?

Would you make the same route from scratch? I know I don't have any time for that sort of thing. Let alone learn of the intricacies of using the Route Editor. I know that alone takes a bit to learn. Unless of course you already are a master at that sort of thing, I'm just content in running the route.

It's easy to be quick to judge someone's work when you weren't the one to toil and put some time into the route. Granted that may have taken the maker some time to make it let alone be brave enough to distribute it and for free!

Again, I know it isn't the prettiest, but for that section of the world it's the only one available that is free. No offense to Don Karch's work - which are marvelous, but unless I know for sure his routes run that part of Colorado, I'm just content to run this one. Besides, it's not like I spend all my time running this one in MSTS.

The fact that Jonathan Lewis gave some time on it, is a plus enough for me. I thank him for his effort despite the sparseness of the scenery. Let us not be too hasty on the harsh comments unless you are already a master at editing and making your own routes. Just remember it was made for free, and I know this person had to have spent a great deal of time just getting it this far.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

#10 User is offline   engineerzach 

• Conductor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hello Edwin,

I couldn't agree with you more, but at the same time that route is a little dated by today’s standards, and could use a little bit of an upgrade. It’s not that hard to replace bridges and such, and if my route editor worked I’d take a swing at it.

But all of us here at Elvas Tower have a great appreciation for those modelers and route builders out there that spend their time making models and routes for us to enjoy, and ask for nothing in return...

After all, We got one of the Best narrow gauge and traction modelers out there! (in my opinion at least! :lol: )

Thanks!

zach 8P

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users