Elvas Tower: Managing Train Sequencing and Priority in Open Rails Timetable - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Managing Train Sequencing and Priority in Open Rails Timetable Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bbb 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 07:45 AM

Hello, I'm reaching out today because I have a question about a timetable I'm working on in Open Rails.
In this timetable , there's a train that stops at all stations departing first, followed by a non-stop train.
I'd like to ensure that when, in the middle of its journey, the stopping train temporarily switches tracks, the non-stop train can have priority to pass ahead on the main track. However, after consulting the Open Rails documentation, I found that one could use commands like: $wait=<train> /maxdelay=n /notstarted /atstart /owndelay=n or $follow=<train> /maxdelay=n /notstarted /owndelay=n.
However, in my case, I've never managed to get these lines to work, whether I place them in the corresponding station's box where the action would take place or in the #note box. Could you shed some light on what I'm trying to achieve? How do I implement train priority logic to ensure smooth operations in Open Rails?

Thank you !

#2 User is offline   bbb 

• Apprentice

Posted 29 April 2024 - 08:10 AM

View PostWeter, on 29 April 2024 - 07:49 AM, said:

Hello.
Could it be possible to see timetable's example, please?

Hi ,
there is an example :
extract from my timetable
train 866865 is the one that must stop at each station and train 4663 is the one that must pass over train 866865 .
so do see how can i do ?

#3 User is offline   jeanmarc 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 April 2024 - 01:32 PM

View Postbbb, on 29 April 2024 - 08:10 AM, said:

Hi ,
there is an example :
extract from my timetable
train 866865 is the one that must stop at each station and train 4663 is the one that must pass over train 866865 .
so do see how can i do ?

Le 866865 part à 6h38 et le 4663 à 14h55, le dépassement n'existe pas dans la réalité. le 866865 est déjà arrivé à Agen lorsque le 4663 part de Bordeaux.

The 866865 leaves at 6:38 a.m. and the 4663 at 2:55 p.m., overtaking does not exist in reality. the 866865 has already arrived in Agen when the 4663 leaves Bordeaux.

#4 User is offline   bbb 

• Apprentice

Posted 29 April 2024 - 10:28 PM

View Postjeanmarc, on 29 April 2024 - 01:32 PM, said:

Le 866865 part à 6h38 et le 4663 à 14h55, le dépassement n'existe pas dans la réalité. le 866865 est déjà arrivé à Agen lorsque le 4663 part de Bordeaux.

The 866865 leaves at 6:38 a.m. and the 4663 at 2:55 p.m., overtaking does not exist in reality. the 866865 has already arrived in Agen when the 4663 leaves Bordeaux.

Hello ,
thank you for your answer , but I got the column wrong, you can see the two trains in question below .
train 866817 is the one that must stop at each station and train 4661 is the one that must pass over train 866817.

even if I placed the $wait command with all the specifications that you can see in the image, train 866817 has priority over the train without stops. Do you know why ?

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 April 2024 - 11:29 PM

The wait is set for train 4655, but the second train is 4661.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is online   Angelo Rosa 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 April 2024 - 11:34 PM

Hello bbb,

As per your screenshot, the train you have with the "wait" command is 4655_xxx instead of 4661_xxx, and the other issue is, if the train departs at 12:17:30, how can it stops at that station at 07:45-07:47.

I would also try to use the "follow" command to see if it works.

#7 User is offline   bbb 

• Apprentice

Posted 30 April 2024 - 01:30 PM

Good evening,
thank you for your response, despite the modifications
Attached File  Capture d’écran 2024-04-30 231718.gif (61.36K)
Number of downloads: 19

i dont know why but train 866817 still have the priority on the line
Attached File  Capture d’écran 2024-04-30 231718.gif (1.02MB)
Number of downloads: 19

do you think that the follow command can be usefull ? how to use it in my case?

to answer the time which is the same each time, I use this "method" to produce the timetables more quickly in the case where I have to schedule traffic on lines of more than 600 km!

regards,
BBB

#8 User is offline   jeanmarc 

• Apprentice

Posted 30 April 2024 - 02:59 PM

Your route is the french "Transversale Sud". 866817 stop at Station "Langon Voie 1b" and 4661 overtake at Station "Langon Voie 1", it's not the same station. With a route editor (TSRE), in the field Stationname, replace "Langon Voie 1" with "Langon". Do the same for "Langon Voie 1b". In the route folder/activity/openrails, make the sames change in the file "Transversale_Sud.stations". TEST.
An advice, for your timetable, class the station in the real order, it's better to work.

#9 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 30 April 2024 - 08:41 PM

Hello.
So, instead of identical station's name, the concrete platform's names were duplicated in Station field? If so, that's route builder's mistake.
Yes, different platforms (with numbers, or some other distinctions in their names) are belonging to the same station, and exactly the station's name should be mentioned in timetable, while concrete platform for concrete train will be pointed by that train's path.

P.S.
Very nice-looking route on screenshot.
Is it available for free somewhere?

#10 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 30 April 2024 - 09:05 PM

Hello.

View Postbbb, on 29 April 2024 - 07:45 AM, said:

In this timetable , there's a train that stops at all stations departing first, followed by a non-stop train.
I'd like to ensure that when, in the middle of its journey, the stopping train temporarily switches tracks, the non-stop train can have priority to pass ahead on the main track.

In other words, commuter train should be held on concrete station's siding for waiting the intercity train, departing later to pass (so-called stop for overtake)?

I found that one could use commands like: $wait=<train> /maxdelay=n /notstarted /atstart /owndelay=n or $follow=<train> /maxdelay=n /notstarted /owndelay=n.

Follow seems to me not for Your case: train, which follow will never overtake, but will always pass.
It seems to me not logical, for earlier departed train to follow the later departed one...

However, in my case, I've never managed to get these lines to work, whether I place them in the corresponding station's box, where the action would take place, or in the #note box. How do I implement train priority logic to ensure smooth operations in Open Rails?

Thank you !

Please note:
- "note" row is for conditions, which should be applied to concrete train from it's very start.
- Conditions in station's cell of concrete train's column will be applied since stop on said station (but for some of them to take effect, even passing station is enough), and onwards, until reverce point on train's path (that's why it's recommended to split trains with reversal movements for all needed commands to take effect, being mentioned for "straight" path).
- Conditions, entered to the first (but better - to the second) cell of the station's row (it's better, the first cell will contain station names only, the second column will have no name on its top cell, so will provide extension cells for station rows) will be applied to all trains, having stops (for some cases - the passing station would be enough), on said station.

I do understand, You are unsure, when, or on which platform the train actually stops on every intermediate station, but now, at least half of booked stops of Your timetable will never be reached, due to train's defined path.

So, as it was recommended above, use the actual stops cells to enter commands and timings (refer with train's path, where it actually goes) - for not modifying the route with TSRE without utter need (otherwise, all activities for original route could fail to work on your modified one).
Then, arrange stations in Your timetable's first column in order, they are in reality, if it's not so (the list is being made in order, they were added into track data base file by route builder, so it could be different). That is purely for better look and editing convience, it takes no affect on trains behavior.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users