• You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal for Steam Locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 March 2024 - 01:46 PM

Hey everyone,

So I have been thinking lately of upgrading some exsisting MSTS steam locomotives to Open Rails specs. This would include updated physics, lighting, sounds and smoke effects.

Myself being a steam guy I am fairly picky on how I want my steam locomotives to perform and sound. That being said we have some outstanding models out there that look fantastic but lack in the physics and sound departments.

My thought is to update some older models to Open Rails specs and release the Eng and sound files to the public if it is at all phesable to do so.

I do not want to be stepping on anyone's toes and feel it would be a bennifit to the community if it was done and bring some new life to some older models.

Another proposal I would like to bring up is the chuffing sounds.

I feel it is time that Open Rails moves away from the old way of syncing the sounds to the driver's by speed but instead have it linked by the rotation of the drivers/pistons.

A few of us have brought this idea up to Peter in a group convo but none of us are sure how to go about this and I wanted to get an outsiders prospective on this idea as well.

Brandon

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 29 March 2024 - 03:01 PM

My thought is to update some older models to Open Rails specs and release the Eng and sound files to the public if it is at all phesable to do so.

Well, I tell ya, Brandon, you are more than welcome to improve any of my locomotives in this way. :sign_rockon:

#3 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 March 2024 - 06:01 PM

Thank you Tim. I have always admired your work!! Here are some of the locomotives I would like to upgrade to current Open Rails specs. There are more I would like to do but here are just a few I have thought of to start with.

Narrow Gauge locomotives

Eureka #4

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-28 190933.jpg

RGS #20

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-28 190738.jpg

RGS #346

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-28 191200.jpg

DRGW K28

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-29 205700.jpg

DRGW K36

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-28 191337.jpg

Standard Gauge Locomotives

SP GS2 and GS6

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-29 201955.jpg

FRISCO 1522

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-29 194035.jpg

NP 2-8-2s

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-29 202644.jpg

CB&Q 4-6-4s

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-29 203234.jpg

#4 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 30 March 2024 - 12:22 AM

One thing that I think would be a benefit for any ORTS "Upgrades" to existing locomotives would be, in the case of entire fleets of locomotives that have multiple road numbers or other variations, is that the common parameters and values could be placed in *.inc files. This not only saves tons of disk space by not repeating identical parameters and values in each individual *.eng and *.wag file, but it also makes editing an entire fleet easier.

Here is how I typically set up *.inc files for a typical steam engine:
Attached Image: incstructure.jpg

It should be self-explanatory, but I will go through the contents of each *.inc file in case it isn't:
For the loco:
GeneralData_Wag.inc generally contains the rolling stock type, size, idler wheel diameter, number of idler axles, derail coefficient parameters, the external *.sms file to be used.
Coupler.inc contains the coupler physics.
Brake_Wag.inc contains all the parameters for the WAGON section of the *.eng file, such as triple valve/distributor properties and brake forces.
Lights.inc contains all the lighting specifications.
Resistance.inc contains the Davis coefficients, wind resistance, curve resistance and trailing locomotive resistance.
SpecialFX.inc contains all the data for the smoke & steam emissions.
GeneralData_Eng.inc generally contains the locomotive type, number of driving wheels, driving wheel diameter and sanding information.
Boiler.inc contains boiler data, such as evaporative surface, superheat, and so forth.
Cylinders.inc contains cylinder diameter, stroke, and efficiency, as well as crankpin angle and multiple-engine definitions (if the locomotive has a booster, for example)
Firebox.inc contains the grate area, fuel calorific value and maximum fuel feed rate.
Brake_Eng.inc contains all the brake parameters for the ENGINE section of the *.eng file, pertaining to the compressors, main reservoir, and brake control rates.
CabControls.inc contains all the Engine Controller parameters, and the specific *.cvf and internal *.sms file to be used for the cab view.
Desciption.inc contains the locomotive description details.
Procedures.inc contains all the operating procedures that show up in the Help (F1) menu.

Things such as loco shape files, loco names, and the like, are not included in the *.inc files and remain in their respective individual *.eng or *.wag files.

For the tender:
GeneralData.inc contains all the same data as the GeneralData_Wag.inc file for the loco--type, size, derail coefficients, external *.sms file, etc.
Coupler.inc contains all the coupler physics.
Brake.inc is analogous to the Brake_Wag.inc file used on the loco.
Resistance.inc contains the Davis coefficient, wind resistance and curve resistance for the tender in its LOADED state.
Lights.inc contains the light data (if the tender has lights).
CoalLoad.inc is used for the depleting tender coal load FreightAnim, as well as the physics changes associated with the depletion and replinishment of the coal and water supply, and any intake points.
SpecialFX.inc is only needed if the tender has steam heat or other particle-based effects (water scoop, etc.). However, this file is usually also accompanied by a SteamHeat.inc or WaterScoop.inc file.

I hope this structure makes sense to everyone. After I discovered the use of *.inc files (with a little assistance from ErickC and NAVS) they've been a real life-saver.

#5 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 30 March 2024 - 01:25 AM

A few of us have brought this idea up to Peter in a group convo but none of us are sure how to go about this and I wanted to get an outsiders prospective on this idea as well.

Hello.

This was solved by Icik years ago in the CZ-SK Openrails version. Maybe you should ask him for help.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#6 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 March 2024 - 05:54 AM

View PostTraindude, on 30 March 2024 - 12:22 AM, said:

One thing that I think would be a benefit for any ORTS "Upgrades" to existing locomotives would be, in the case of entire fleets of locomotives that have multiple road numbers or other variations, is that the common parameters and values could be placed in *.inc files. This not only saves tons of disk space by not repeating identical parameters and values in each individual *.eng and *.wag file, but it also makes editing an entire fleet easier.

Here is how I typically set up *.inc files for a typical steam engine:
Attachment incstructure.jpg

It should be self-explanatory, but I will go through the contents of each *.inc file in case it isn't:
For the loco:
GeneralData_Wag.inc generally contains the rolling stock type, size, idler wheel diameter, number of idler axles, derail coefficient parameters, the external *.sms file to be used.
Coupler.inc contains the coupler physics.
Brake_Wag.inc contains all the parameters for the WAGON section of the *.eng file, such as triple valve/distributor properties and brake forces.
Lights.inc contains all the lighting specifications.
Resistance.inc contains the Davis coefficients, wind resistance, curve resistance and trailing locomotive resistance.
SpecialFX.inc contains all the data for the smoke & steam emissions.
GeneralData_Eng.inc generally contains the locomotive type, number of driving wheels, driving wheel diameter and sanding information.
Boiler.inc contains boiler data, such as evaporative surface, superheat, and so forth.
Cylinders.inc contains cylinder diameter, stroke, and efficiency, as well as crankpin angle and multiple-engine definitions (if the locomotive has a booster, for example)
Firebox.inc contains the grate area, fuel calorific value and maximum fuel feed rate.
Brake_Eng.inc contains all the brake parameters for the ENGINE section of the *.eng file, pertaining to the compressors, main reservoir, and brake control rates.
CabControls.inc contains all the Engine Controller parameters, and the specific *.cvf and internal *.sms file to be used for the cab view.
Desciption.inc contains the locomotive description details.
Procedures.inc contains all the operating procedures that show up in the Help (F1) menu.

Things such as loco shape files, loco names, and the like, are not included in the *.inc files and remain in their respective individual *.eng or *.wag files.

For the tender:
GeneralData.inc contains all the same data as the GeneralData_Wag.inc file for the loco--type, size, derail coefficients, external *.sms file, etc.
Coupler.inc contains all the coupler physics.
Brake.inc is analogous to the Brake_Wag.inc file used on the loco.
Resistance.inc contains the Davis coefficient, wind resistance and curve resistance for the tender in its LOADED state.
Lights.inc contains the light data (if the tender has lights).
CoalLoad.inc is used for the depleting tender coal load FreightAnim, as well as the physics changes associated with the depletion and replinishment of the coal and water supply, and any intake points.
SpecialFX.inc is only needed if the tender has steam heat or other particle-based effects (water scoop, etc.). However, this file is usually also accompanied by a SteamHeat.inc or WaterScoop.inc file.

I hope this structure makes sense to everyone. After I discovered the use of *.inc files (with a little assistance from ErickC and NAVS) they've been a real life-saver.

I did this with my MILW S3 class 4-8-4 locomotives and it worked out great!

Brandon

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-03-30 085852.jpg

#7 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 March 2024 - 07:53 AM

View PostLaci1959, on 30 March 2024 - 01:25 AM, said:

Hello.

This was solved by Icik years ago in the CZ-SK Openrails version. Maybe you should ask him for help.

Sincerely, Laci1959

I had no idea this was even possible or even done yet!

Brandon

#8 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:46 AM

Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Inc_Past 0.1 StartLoopRelease   ( 1 File ( "TM_18.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
                                        Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Inc_Past 6.0 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
					Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Dec_Past 6.0 StartLoopRelease   ( 1 File ( "TM_18.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Dec_Past 0.1 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

And
VolumeCurve(
					WheelSpeedControlled
					CurvePoints ( 5
                                        0.00		0.00
                                        2.50		0.00
                                        3.16		1.00
                                        5.62		1.00
                                        6.20		0.00      
					)
					Granularity ( 0.05 )
				)

#9 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 March 2024 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for sharing this!

#10 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 30 March 2024 - 04:48 PM

View PostLaci1959, on 30 March 2024 - 08:46 AM, said:

Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Inc_Past 0.1 StartLoopRelease   ( 1 File ( "TM_18.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
                                        Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Inc_Past 6.0 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
					Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Dec_Past 6.0 StartLoopRelease   ( 1 File ( "TM_18.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( WheelSpeed_Dec_Past 0.1 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

And
VolumeCurve(
					WheelSpeedControlled
					CurvePoints ( 5
                                        0.00		0.00
                                        2.50		0.00
                                        3.16		1.00
                                        5.62		1.00
                                        6.20		0.00      
					)
					Granularity ( 0.05 )
				)

For the record, what are the units to be used for the "WheelSpeed" variable? RPM? Or something else?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users