Where are the "Options" settings Persisted Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:03 AM

View PostAmtrak115, on 07 February 2024 - 07:35 AM, said:

As part of my effort to work on activity editor for ORTS, I was working on a "new" version of a Consist Editor as part of the Activity editor...

Barry, that's good news that you are still working on an activity/consist editor -- thank you https://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif ...every little bit...

#12 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 February 2024 - 12:55 PM

Hello.

In my Consist Editor it will also set a "SETS" directory under TRAINS, which will allow the user to save sets (separate from consists). A set is a one or more Engine/Wagon combination that can be placed in a consist. Primary use is 3-unit/5-unit well car sets...or engine sets...etc.....Could be blocks of cars designated for a particular site...etc.

Is it the similar idea, as TSRE "engine groups", which are, an ability to define any permanent-formations like steam locomotive+it's apropriate tender(s), or EMU/DMU srctions, or, as You've said above - some articulated car sets, as well-cars or TGV trainsets, where middle "cars" share bogeys?

#13 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:13 AM

View PostWeter, on 07 February 2024 - 12:55 PM, said:

Hello.

Is it the similar idea, as TSRE "engine groups", which are, an ability to define any permanent-formations like steam locomotive+it's apropriate tender(s), or EMU/DMU srctions, or, as You've said above - some articulated car sets, as well-cars or TGV trainsets, where middle "cars" share bogeys?

similar to engine sets of TSRE, They are basically stored as consists within the Consist directory. In my version they are stored in "Sets" directory. the format of the file is similar to a consist file, with additional comments for other things....still working on that concept....so you can have a list of "Sets", and individual eng/wags (like tsre) to add to your consist....

these "Sets/Blocks" of cars could be used as "Loose" consists in an Activity...say for later pickup or movement to a destination etc.....

Amtrak115

#14 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for clarification.
The only thing, by which TSRE have seen, that's an "engine group", is matching names of consist and it's leading locomotive.

#15 User is online   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 08 February 2024 - 01:23 PM

>the thread opener Amtrak115 had actually asked where to find the content list.

He did.

Gerry led me astray mentioning the ini file, and I went on from there.....

#16 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2024 - 03:20 PM

...and what prompted me to mention the ini file was Barry asking where the content list is stored. I assumed ( maybe - but probably not -- that will teach me not to assume ) that he was setting up content and I thought it would be convenient to set up an ini file.
Derek, sorry I led you into the weeds....we all learned something....Derek not to follow Gerry, cuz he's https://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif and don't know where he's going ... and the rest of us .... where the content list is stored ( if you are not using an ini file ).

#17 User is online   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:53 PM

Gerry,

It's not your fault, I can be easily led :-)

#18 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:26 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 08 February 2024 - 03:20 PM, said:

...and what prompted me to mention the ini file was Barry asking where the content list is stored. I assumed ...

Gerry,

After reading your response and thinking about it for a bit...I realize that it had to be a register entry....I confirmed that by looking in the OpenRails directory...and voila...no ini file for the settings.....since I have a directory for the "official" release, a directory for the "test" release, a directory for the "Unstable" release, the "OpenRails New Years MG" release and Perpetual Kid's "Ultimate" release...(I think he renamed this...) anyway....the content list is the same in all...therefore it had to be a registry entry....then I dug through the code.... As I stated before...I'm not a c# expert by any stretch...but was able to find where the read the registry, or read the ini file or I assume as a future implementation read the .json file decision is made....

Since I'm "Prototyping" I can "prototype" this class/code where the load/save settings similar to openrails for my editing tools that I'm working on.....

anyway........

Barry

#19 User is offline   Peter B. 

• Hostler

Posted 10 February 2024 - 02:59 AM

Hi everybody.

@Gerry: you're absolutely right: we all learned something. For me it was hearing for the first time about a json file for storing the options.

@Barry: Do you know more details about name and location of that json options file? I checked the latest documentation on openrails.readthedocs.io, but I didn't find any information. Then I tried creating an empty OpenRails.json file, similar to what I described about the OpenRails.ini, but when I set some options, nothing was saved to that file. Instead the new options landed in the registry.

@Derek: it was far from me to blame you for anything. I'm glad this thread gave all of us the opportunity to share our knowledge around the options storage.

Greetings, Peter

P.S. I hope I matched the first names and account names correctly. For a relative "newbie" like me it's sometimes a bit difficult to remember who's who around Elvas Tower.

#20 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 10 February 2024 - 06:59 AM

View PostPeter B., on 10 February 2024 - 02:59 AM, said:

@Barry: Do you know more details about name and location of that json options file? I checked the latest documentation on openrails.readthedocs.io, but I didn't find any information. Then I tried creating an empty OpenRails.json file, similar to what I described about the OpenRails.ini, but when I set some options, nothing was saved to that file. Instead the new options landed in the registry.

Peter,

I found a decision tree in the code and in the code only......Basically from what I remember now....if the settings were not found in Registry, the code look for a .ini file, if not found...if would look for a .json file. I didnt pursue much after seeing that. I didn't look at the code for if there was a .ini file or for that matter a .json file.....

because I was prototyping the code, I put that off to much later in my process......

Barry

<A.C.>
The whole text was merged to the next post. Manually. Because otherwise, the second (i.e. the latest latest) post would be welded to the earlier one, what would affect (decrease) the topic's recent post's timestamp.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users