Elvas Tower: Duplex Steam Locomotives - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duplex Steam Locomotives Add a Booster Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 January 2024 - 07:49 PM

I have now merged changes to cater for multiple steam engines on a single locomotive, as well as the ability to add a locomotive based Booster Engine.

The PRR T1 is a typical example of a Duplex locomotive which had two steam engines mounter on the one locomotive. Prototype locomotive #6111 also was fitted with a Booster engine for testing purposes.

A sample of the T1 and how to configure the locomotive can be found in the CTN Test Stock.

These changes required significant changes to the steam code, so if you think that you have found any problems, then let me know.

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 31 January 2024 - 03:26 AM

I am unable to run the CTN T1 Duplex because my version of OR does not seem to understand the VolumeCurve/Frequencycurve type Variable1_2Controlled items in the sms files.

Attached File(s)

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 31 January 2024 - 11:38 AM

copperpen, on 31 January 2024 - 03:26 AM, said:

I am unable to run the CTN T1 Duplex because my version of OR does not seem to understand the VolumeCurve/Frequencycurve type Variable1_2Controlled items in the sms files.

Try running it with a newer version of the Unstable version, such as U2024.01.30 and see if that works for you.

#4 User is online   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 January 2024 - 06:36 PM

FYI: For a future edition of the pack, we are hoping to add a new cab view. However, we could use some assistance in identifying some of the controls and gauges:
Attached Image: T1_Cabledgend_prewar.jpg
Attached Image: T1_CabLedgend_Postwar.jpg

We are also looking for someone to make new, period-correct passenger car models, complete with opening doors, illuminated interiors, and the like...something along the lines of Derek Miller's (midneguy) Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Heavyweights.

Thanks in advance!

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 February 2024 - 10:47 AM

Hi Folks,

Been testing this baby out.

Extremely nice work all around - absolutely beautiful model.

I think Peter's distro is missing the tender wheel textures.

The booster is fun to play with - it's nice to have sounds and effects associated with it. It makes it feel like you're actually operating the equipment.

I haven't noticed any issues - I was watching the extended HUD.

I know it's a passenger locomotive but I threw (25) of Erick's 70-ton coal hoppers behind it - Just to see what it could do - it could only handle about 25.

I have to figure out how to get sounds for cylinder cocks on my projects. I haven't gone through the ENG file yet.

Noted the dimmable headlight and the chuffing smoke effect.

:sign_thanks:

To all involved.

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 01 February 2024 - 12:11 PM

Moving to a later OR version got rid of the error, but I have another bug. Once the sim starts the booster starts up and revs up. When I check the extended hud and the outside view, there is some steam from the booster area and the Hud states it is running at over 350 I assume MPH, locomotive stationary and booster controls not touched. Booster sound reminds me of a turbine when it is at full speed, also using just over 2000lb steam per hour

EDIT:- It appears that the booster is set to be active as soon as the game starts Initially while the booster is winding up GearP goes in to midrange double digits and at the two minute mark abruptly drops to 5.98. IdleT runs up to 120 in about2 minutes. IdleP hits 120 in about 30 seconds and right at the start the booster exhaust is visible at the stack. It does auto shut off when cutoff drops below 65%

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 February 2024 - 12:14 PM

copperpen, on 01 February 2024 - 12:11 PM, said:

Moving to a later OR version got rid of the error, but I have another bug. Once the sim starts the booster starts up and revs up. When I check the extended hud and the outside view, there is some steam from the booster area and the Hud states it is running at over 400 I assume MPH, locomotive stationary and booster controls not touched.

Can you add a coupe of screen shots to illustrate the issue.

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 01 February 2024 - 12:42 PM

steamer_ctn, on 01 February 2024 - 12:14 PM, said:

Can you add a coupe of screen shots to illustrate the issue.

I have added an edit describing the sequence of events and what the data shows

#9 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 February 2024 - 01:41 PM

copperpen, on 01 February 2024 - 12:11 PM, said:

EDIT:- It appears that the booster is set to be active as soon as the game starts Initially while the booster is winding up GearP goes in to midrange double digits and at the two minute mark abruptly drops to 5.98. IdleT runs up to 120 in about2 minutes. IdleP hits 120 in about 30 seconds and right at the start the booster exhaust is visible at the stack. It does auto shut off when cutoff drops below 65%
That is unusual as it starts in the default state for me, ie Booster fully off. Pressing Ctrl+D will close the Booster air valve, which will start the process that you indicated. I am wondering whether the Ctrl+D key combination is inadvertently being pressing . I know that has sometimes happened to me. To prove the point I would suggest taking very slow and deliberate actions to see it this issue consistently occurs.

I would also suggest reading the ReadMe document for a more detailed overview of the Booster and its operation in OR.

If there is still an issue, can you give me a detailed step by step process to reproduce your problem on my PC.

#10 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 02 February 2024 - 03:23 AM

HI Peter

The only thing I am doing is selecting a consist and start the sim. As soon as I arrive in the cab and hit Esc the control confirmations start showing on the screen. First is Firebox then steam boost Idle, then Regulator, followed by steam booster air and finally steam booster air valve open. Just in case my keyboard was sending spurious signals I ran again with the keyboard unplugged and got the same sequence of events.

Edit:- It looks to be linked to the CVF because if I run without the cab the debug HUD shows no booster activity although the booster exhaust is visible at the stack.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users