Elvas Tower: Starting a new model - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starting a new model What is the best practice with a new model? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rudolf.horak 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:37 AM

What is the best practice with a new model? I am building a CSD M290 Slovenska Strela. My goal is to make it work in MSTS first. Are there major diferences or how to make them work well for both MSTS and OR?

Also, for some reason I can't seem to be able to post my question about the .eng file in the MSTS section. It says not allowed to make posts. What do I need to do or am I in the wrong section?

<Admin comment>
Rudolf, Your post contains two different questions: About modeling and about issues with forum posting rights.
But both are unsuitable to be posted beneath anounce about where to look for answers to frequent questions.
Therefore, Here is dedicated thread for discussion of Your first question.
For the second, "Members only" sub-forum would be the better place.
General Rules here
Welcome to ET.

#2 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 29 January 2024 - 05:07 AM

Hi Rudolf,

Welcome to the forum.

If a model works in MSTS, It will also work in OR. On the other hand, a loco made for OR may not work in MSTS.

Cheers,
Geoff

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 January 2024 - 08:46 AM

Hello.
There are no principial differences in general.
As I understand Your question, no need to make it for MSTS, as many parameters will be out of use with ORTS.
If You need it to work with both sims compulsory - place ORTS *.eng-file into OpenRails subfolder of Your train item.

#4 User is offline   narrativa_ferroviaria 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 January 2024 - 12:39 PM

Good evening, Rudolf.

Pay attention to @mrmosky and @Weter words.

In my humble opinion we have to define one of these two options:

a) What are the best practices for a new model as the really first model we are going to make?

B) What are the best practices for a new model having made some other models previously.

By the way you talk I assume you are refering to the 'a)' option, and I assume too you are refering to a locomotive. So, this is my point of view:

1).- Before thinking of what model you want to create, we should think in what part of the world we want see it rolling first. I could be a fanboy of 'Mallard' locomotive, but I can't project it rolling in a Spanish track because I could feel it kinda strange.

2).- Once defined in what enviroment I would like to drive, it's time to the next phase: choosing your locomotive. Try to look for the simpliest models possible. Easy wheel arrangement, easy chassis and hull geometry, etc. And don't stay just only in one option, look for two or three.

3).- Once found your models (for example locomotive A, B and C) it is time for one of the most beautiful phases you can do: gathering information. Try to gather as much information as you can. Don't get satisfied only with what you can find among Internet. No. Stand up, look for a museum, contact it, try to find everything you can: blueprints, History, information about the experience lived by the people who drove and worked with that machine. In this phase the visual information is totally vital. You would wonder about how a simple hidden detail in an old photograph could save you hours and hours of work and investigation.

4).- At this phase, you should have in your own hands enough material to take a proper decision. Choose among locomotive A, B or C taking into account which one likes you most, from which one you have enough material, etc.

5).- Ok, so you have decided the route, the locomotive so it's time art leads the way. Look for a proper 3D Model engine and simply...model. Remember always to have a look over the polygons number. There must be a balance between the numbers of polygons and the level of detail you want to model. Avoid some practices like shaping a wheel from a cylinder using 4096 faces to make it the most rounded wheel in the History of simulation. No need to do that because no one is going to pay attention to that at the first look. Even in the last look neither. I'm not saying you should use squares to make wheels, of course. :sweatingbullets:

6).- Time to texturize! Texturizing is an art. My little experience in 3D modelling tells me that if we texturize in a smart way the final product could be awsome. There is no need to model a nut of a particular Part Number taken from an Illustrated Part Catalogue from the real life locomotive if you can simple draw it and wrap the whole texture around the shape.

7).- As you are advancing on the shaping process of the locomotive, is not necessary to finish at 100% your locomotive to try it in the simulator. Use a copied and simply modified .ENG file to make it roll as soon as possible and check that wheels and bogies work in a proper way. The best moment to make this is when you have a simple shape of your bogies, wheels and chassis. From here you can return to your modelling tasks completing the vehicle.

8).- Is important to keep your motivation. Use your motivation little by little and don't spend it all of this in just two days. I not recommend to stay in the same project many days, day after day, hour by hour. Combine this process with other activities like running, going out with friends and so on. Different activities recharge your motivation points, you know.

9).- Always keep a physical notepad with a pen to write any kind of information, like measures and some mathematical operations you are going to make for sure. It will be a register of what were you doing along all the time of your modelling process.

10).- Finally remember to always, always, always, always (and I'm not going to get bored repeating it...), always save your work and create back ups of your process. It's really sad to see completely lost works. An experience I don't wish to anyone.

I hope it could help at your project and waiting how it progress. The first model is really special (at least for me). My first vehicle was a Japanese rail car, the KiHa 103 that used diesel tractor engines to power them in the disappered Kujukuri Railway of only 9Km of line.

https://i.ibb.co/cTsKTKQ/Kiha103-2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/yNVSxwL/kiha103-1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/hDxHnbR/kiha-103-diesel-48661.jpg

Kind regards!

Fernando.

*EDIT: Corrected some words. Improving my English, haha. :pleasantry:

#5 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 January 2024 - 01:12 PM

I think, as long as MSTS goes unstopable to past (will it run with win11?), it has sense not to gain habit to create in MSTS standards, but instead - to learn ORTS technologies from very beginning - less to mess.

Also note, Rudolf told - he have made his choice already: Checho-Slovakian fast diesel train CSD M290 "Slovenska Strela".

Here are our Master's tips:
Model detalization standards
How to choose appropriate detail level
How to define and make LODs

#6 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 29 January 2024 - 01:52 PM

What tools do you plan to us?

It may impact the kind of help that is available from members of the forum.

#7 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:50 PM

Pete has kindly been compiling notes on MSTS/OR model making and well worth downloading and reading/referencing.

https://github.com/p...CC-Notebook.pdf

Even if you are familiar with 3D modelling/texturing, it contains additional information on hierarchy and the naming conventions that are required for rolling stock to work in MSTS/OR.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users