• You cannot reply to this topic

6 Axle Limit on Tender? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 January 2024 - 09:22 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 13 January 2024 - 04:38 AM, said:

I think we already do that as well as allowing up to four bogies per model. I feel that the code does not allow for centipede style where we have a lead bogie and the rest of the wheels are in a rigid chassis.

Hi Mervyn,

Hmm - when I use WHEELS14 or WHEELS24 - the axle is just dead in game - unless I animate it by hand - I did try to thoroughly test it.

I don't know how we have four "working" BOGIES in ORTS - when the corresponding WHEELS31,32,33,41,42,43 don't work - it seems like an odd omission if someone spent the time to code the extra BOGIES. Let me try the WHEELS in this range again - perhaps I fudged something during my test?

I have WHEELS13,21,22,23 parented to the MAIN shape of the tender - without a BOGIE - and they seem to work fine in that capacity. I haven't noticed an issue with them. I did the same on my older model.

It's not a big deal to manually animate the extra WHEELS - it just doesn't turn perfectly with the other six and I don't think they are controlled by [WheelRadius] - again - it's really not that noticeable - just to me the modeler.

Thanks.

Regards,
Scott

#22 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 13 January 2024 - 09:25 AM

View PostLaci1959, on 13 January 2024 - 08:42 AM, said:

Hello.

Where will the turning point be? That is, where will the center of the bogie be? Do you read it from the shape file or do you calculate it as before, of course incorrectly? See under three-axle bogie cars.
Sorry, I can't find the thread, it was discussed last year.

Sincerely, Laci 1959.

Hi Laci,

Thanks - I'll look for this as well.
;)

Regards,
Scott

#23 User is offline   dajones 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 13 January 2024 - 10:13 AM

When you tried WHEELS14 and WHEELS24 without animation did you check the shape file to make sure they got exported? My version of the exporter (4.3) includes this list of automatically animated parts:
    animatedParts = ('BOGIE1','BOGIE2','WHEELS11','WHEELS12','WHEELS13','WHEELS21','WHEELS22','WHEELS23' )

Anything not in this list could get combined to reduce draw calls.

As far as positioning the model over the track, the code has changed a lot since I worked on it but it looks like is does mostly what I remember. The first thing it does is find the track center line location of each wheelset. Then it calculates a least squares line through the locations of the wheel sets that belong to each bogie. This line is used to determine where the bogie pivot points are relative to the track. Then another least square line is found using the bogie pivot points and the locations of any wheel sets attached directly to the model. This line is used to position the model and the angle between the lines is used to set the bogie rotation. The least squares calculation includes a weight value for each wheel set and bogie pivot. These weights are currently always one, but could be set to other values. For example if you have an 0-6-0 and you know the center drivers are blind then the weight for the center wheel set could be set to zero.

Doug

#24 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 13 January 2024 - 10:21 AM

View Postdajones, on 13 January 2024 - 10:13 AM, said:

When you tried WHEELS14 and WHEELS24 without animation did you check the shape file to make sure they got exported? My version of the exporter (4.3) includes this list of automatically animated parts:
    animatedParts = ('BOGIE1','BOGIE2','WHEELS11','WHEELS12','WHEELS13','WHEELS21','WHEELS22','WHEELS23' )

Anything not in this list could get combined to reduce draw calls.

As far as positioning the model over the track, the code has changed a lot since I worked on it but it looks like is does mostly what I remember. The first thing it does is find the track center line location of each wheelset. Then it calculates a least squares line through the locations of the wheel sets that belong to each bogie. This line is used to determine where the bogie pivot points are relative to the track. Then another least square line is found using the bogie pivot points and the locations of any wheel sets attached directly to the model. This line is used to position the model and the angle between the lines is used to set the bogie rotation. The least squares calculation includes a weight value for each wheel set and bogie pivot. These weights are currently always one, but could be set to other values. For example if you have an 0-6-0 and you know the center drivers are blind then the weight for the center wheel set could be set to zero.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Hmm - so maybe this is a function of the exporter. Perhaps I should ping Wayne? I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest which is 4.3 - IIRC?

I haven't tested your "retain names" option either. I will do both - unfortunately - I work in two locations and I just noticed my zip archive is corrupt - I won't have access to my files until next week - ugh - I was really on a roll.

Thanks for all your insights.
;)

Regards,
Scott

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users