Elvas Tower: Open Rails crashes when starting a timetable - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails crashes when starting a timetable error message maybe from the operating system Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gro.Bi 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 December 2023 - 10:08 AM

When replaying a timetable set in Open Rails a message appears during the loading screen and says that OR is out of function and OR returns to the main window. I am not sure if this is a message from Open Rails or instead the operating system (Windows 7 Professional).

A screenshot of the message is attached. For reason of understanding I translated the text:

Open Rails Activity runner doesn't work anymore
The program is not running properly due to a problem. The program will close and you will be notified when a solution is available. (Close program)

From the the Openrailslog.txt I can not identify any reason, but it is attached.

By now I have identified 2 timetables that seem to be responsible. When replaying nothing but the 2 timetables in a timetable set, the crash appears, but when replaying each timetable of its own, there is no crash. Also the timetableset without those 2 timetables works ok.

What could be the reason and how to solve it?

Regards,
Gro.Bi

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: funktioniert-nicht-mehr.JPG

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 December 2023 - 10:28 AM

Guten abend.
instant answer - unable to get paths
I'll look the log now...

Log looks like being with it's end torn away...
On screenshot, it's indeed message from windows, which knows nothing, except said program has crashed by unknown reason.

What "replaying a timetable set" means?
Playing from save?

Timetables often have references between each other. Are they correct and undamaded?

#3 User is offline   Gro.Bi 

• Fireman

Posted 21 December 2023 - 12:33 PM

View PostWeter, on 21 December 2023 - 10:28 AM, said:

What "replaying a timetable set" means?
Playing from save?

No, only selecting a timetable from the timetable set and a train and click on 'start' in the OR main window.

View PostWeter, on 21 December 2023 - 10:28 AM, said:

Timetables often have references between each other. Are they correct and undamaded?

I will check this.

When the problem came up for the first time I thought that OR crashed because of insufficient capacity of my PC, but it seems not be the reason as the bigger part of the timetable set works ok without the relevant 2 timetables.

What means 'unable to get paths'?

Regards,
Gro.Bi

#4 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 21 December 2023 - 12:41 PM

Capacity shortage wouldn't cause crash, IMO. Instead, that would lower frame rate.

If paths are renamed/moved/corrupted/changed - timetable session load will crash soon, after Start was pressed.
In case of rolling stock models failure - it will crash during prerun, as soon as failed stock will be used.
Try to create "observer" train, starting at 0:00 and run it use time acceleration to see, when crash will happen/increase start time/see trains state info about that moment
not now - log hints, the crash is before prerun

#5 User is offline   Gro.Bi 

• Fireman

Posted 23 December 2023 - 01:32 PM

View PostWeter, on 21 December 2023 - 12:41 PM, said:

why RE-playing then?

It was a translation mistake for my part.

View PostWeter, on 21 December 2023 - 12:41 PM, said:

not now - log hints, the crash is before prerun

Does it mean that using an observer train will not be useful as per now?

I have checked references ($triggers, $wait etc.) and added a further timetable to the timetable set because timetables have $wait references to that one.

Today I started an early train in the timetable set and found out that it works. But at a certain moment OR crashes with the Windows message. When using another train before that moment OR crashes in the same way, but at a slight different moment (range of time is of about ~ 2 minutes).
I took a screenshot of the F5 dispatcher HUD just before the crash. I now guess one of the listed trains will be resposible for the crash? Is any abnormality visible on the screenshot?

Regards,
Gro.Bi

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2023-12-23 09-27-15.jpg

#6 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 23 December 2023 - 08:20 PM

Hello.

It was a translation mistake for my part.

Forgive my "German-like pedantry" :) - I had a need in understanding situation "for sure".

Does it mean that using an observer train will not be useful as per now?

It was "momentary/instant" reaction after further reading Your post above and attached log.
My opinion, making observer train is vital always, during timetable debugging, So I still recommend to use them.
The other thing - will it help in Your concrete situation, or no - but it certainly will help to see other wrong things.
Alas, we have no 2d activity runner now, so observer train is the only wat to test timetable in game, currently.

and added a further timetable to the timetable set because timetables have $wait references to that one.

Hm, This absence does look as a potential cause of crash, by the way.
I had the almost same problem.
Starting an observer train (beginning from 0:00) everytime closer and closer to crash event's time (modify start time with 10-15 minutes increment)
I have discovered, the crash was caused by appearance of particular train at, let's say 6:15.
So, I have chosen that train to drive - for seeing the fatal error from it's inside.
Nothing wrong with timetable or dispatcher in that case - just bad compressor sound stream's management instruction inside *.sms-file!
(or bad brake squeal instruction? - don't remember, as they both were bad). So, crash was not at the train spawning moment, but some time after - namely, when compressor was stopped the first time, or the train was about to stop by the first station - when the squeal sound was called the first time.

My strategy - usage of 1-3 train models, which are guaranteed working good, all the time, while timetable are in progress.
Addition of other "authentic" trainsets (consists, made of new rolling stock models) is one by one - after the service is completely and successfully tested with guaranteed - correct wirking trainset.
Many of old MSTS stock have faults, crashing ORTS in timetable mode - as different algorytms are used in compare with Explore/Activity mode.

I'm not an expert in dispatcher info decyphering so far, sorry (try to read Manual) and let's hope, Roeter would come and see screenshot.

Wish You to find Your cause.
Write here, if needed.

#7 User is offline   Gro.Bi 

• Fireman

Posted 24 December 2023 - 04:50 AM

Hi Weter,

thanks for the detailed answer. I will use next days (holidays at my location) for following Your hints (observer train, replacing trains by OR compatible ones) and test again. Hoping for myself to find the cause.

Thank you and wish You happy holidays!

Regards,
Gro.Bi

#8 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 24 December 2023 - 04:55 AM

Time acceleration Ctrl-Alt-PgUp will save hours of Your time, while testing.
Tune the upper limit of You PC to process the gameplay satisfactory, though.
Use Ctrl-Alt-PgDn to decelerate and Ctrl-Alt-Home to restore 100% time speed at once.
Sometimes in greatest time accelerations, trains can jump into the consists instead of coupling, or bump into buffers at terminals.
Then, the train will "loose it's path" and stay there forever.
100% recovery prior to contact of consists/buffer would prevent train's stall.
Also, it has sence to turn path/signal/switch highlighting by Ctrl-Alt-F11 to see, what trains are going to do.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users