#101 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 February 2024 - 08:24 AM

Hello, pan Peter.
IMO, good offer, though,
I think, we are just comparing ORTS with new demos so far...
However, there is screenshots/videos show with discussion of Polish train sim MaSzyna on "Simulator Videos" branch.
As long as Screenshots/Videos branches are not simulator-specific, if You would extend Your experience sharing, maybe it's worthful to start there, untill new branch for "exotic sims" established...

#102 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 February 2024 - 08:25 AM

View PostPeter B., on 11 February 2024 - 08:04 AM, said:

Note @admin team: would we need a separate sub forum for such "exotic" simulators?

Greetings, Peter

Dunno. It doesn't take much effort to create a forum. I'll ask the (new) boss.

#103 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 13 February 2024 - 05:34 AM

View PostPeter B., on 11 February 2024 - 08:04 AM, said:

Hi everybody,

a few moments ago I was made aware once more that everything comes with a price, especially when it's about computer graphics and game engines. A thread in the German forum tssf.eu had announced a new train simulation that is currently available as free demo on Steam, Train Planet, based on the Unity engine (which makes this post slightly OT in a thread about UE, sorry for that).

So, I downloaded it and went on a test ride. Already the first meters proved to be quite bumpy with only 10 to 12 fps in full HD (1920x1280) on my equipment that runs OR on most routes with 60 fps, usually capped only by vertical sync. Maybe, a 4 core i3-9100F and a Radeon RX 6500 XT are really outdated after three years, or the environment in that game is so much more detailed than what we have in most Open Rails routes? The developers only name an i5 CPU and Nvidia 1060 as minimum requirements and an i7 and Nvidia 3060 as recommended. I don't know why they ignore the AMD world.

But that made me think: would I really want to pay that price of updating my hardware every two or three years only for better graphics? And I came to the answer that I personally wouldn't.

If some of you might want also to take a test drive with Train Planet I'd be happy to read about your experiences in the "using railroad simulators" section.

Note @admin team: would we need a separate sub forum for such "exotic" simulators?

Greetings, Peter

Not meaning to burst your bubble, but already in contemporary reviews the RX 6500 XT was described as an "underwhelming" budget GPU. Couple years later this would be nigh obsolete for any GPU intensive game/simulator.

https://www.tomshard...0-xt-review-xfx

Open Rails is not by any standards GPU intensive in this day. It runs fine on the intel integrated graphics chip of my 6 year old laptop, choking only on tiles with 1000+ scenery artifacts of decent poly count.

I'm going to try Train Planet as my laptop has as well a gtx1060 dedicated graphics chip, which is apparently the minimum it supports 😂. Sounds like an upgrade may be in order soon if it turns out decent

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users