Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity Question Using Manual Switches Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 11 December 2023 - 01:41 PM

I am dipping my toes into activity creation with some very simple single player activities. I just want to be able to start a train in a location and drive it thru the area, as one would do in a free roam but I want to have some cars positioned on sidings that could be added to the player train. The issue that I need to address is the control of switches. As I understand it, in all activities, the switches are set to automatic, controlled by the sim and cannot be changed unless one does a (Ctrl)M at the start of the activity which will change all the switches to manual but I am wondering if there is a way to do this within the activity setup so a player new to the sim does not need to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help/observations.

Paul https://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#2 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:59 PM

Ctrl+M can be made at the beginning of the activity but it only becomes necessary before you want to throw a switch. Depending on the activity, you can either stay in Manual or use Ctrl+M to go back to Automatic and proceed on the path.

There is no way to do this while writing an activity though.

Paul :-)

#3 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 December 2023 - 06:09 PM

Aren't "manual" switches controlable by player in Auto mode (i.e. without usage of Ctrl-M) too?

#4 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 December 2023 - 06:18 AM

Manual mode serves two important and helpful functions:
  • It allows the player to manually throw switches.
  • It allows the Player train to deviate from its designated path.

The use for the former is obvious. In the case of the latter, manual mode means that the player can do switching, take sidings, etc. without the activity creator having to build paths to do so. The caveat with the latter is that, once the player train is no longer on its designated path, the the player can not go back to "automatic" mode until the player train is back on its designated path. Also, signals will usually be red for the player train while in manual mode, so the player may have to ask the "AI dispatcher" for permission to pass signals displaying "stop." When I build activities in OR, I seldom build paths for switching activities. I just let the player (typically me) do switching in manual mode, then return to the train's designated path (and automatic mode) when switching is completed. The key to using manual mode is to understand that "manual means manual." The player must properly line switches to execute necessary moves--the sim won't do it for the player.

A nice feature of manual mode is that the player can clear the main line at a non-designated meeting point, reline the switches in the AI train's favor, and the AI train will usually meet or overtake the Player train while the sim is still in manual mode. This is handy if, for example, the player has a lot of switching to do in a yard off of the main track to be occupied by an AI train. The player can go into manual mode, clear the main track with his train, reline the switches for the main and go about his switching business and let the AI train(s) go by. The only issue (as it is in real railroading) is if the player re-enters the main track (and the Player train path) and goes back to automatic mode with an AI train in proximity. That can cause OR to get confused and result in standoffs or "cornfield meets." That is where the Dispatcher window is real handy. Since I now have dual monitors, I usually run OR with the Dispatcher window open on the second monitor.

#5 User is online   Weter 

Posted 12 December 2023 - 07:14 AM

Manual mode serves for important and helpful functions:

Third - it allows to skip(reset) autostop after SPAD.

The caveat with the latter is that,...signals will usually be red for the player train while in manual mode, so the player may have to ask the "AI dispatcher" for permission to pass signals displaying "stop."

Just as In Real life, isn't it?

Here, Automatic Locomotive Signalization (as known here TCS) has two modes: Maneurer(Switching)=Manual in ORTS; and Train/Mainline=Auto mode.

#6 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:00 AM

Hello.

There are activities when the creator sets the route ( Path ) in such a way that it already includes the transfer of railway switches. The route itself consists of a set of turning points. It is advisable to write a turning book in this case, because the activity is different from the usual.
For example:
" The locomotive of the train arriving at the station pulls out onto the open line with 2 cars, then pushes it back onto the loading track after reaching the turning point. Here, it unhooks the two cars after reaching the turning point. Then it goes out again towards the open line, and pushes back after reaching the turning point to the cars left there. Of course, there is also a turning point here, which you have to pass. You pick up the cars and then continue to the next station."
Place fixed messages on the route at the turn point with the following text:
1. "Stop, change direction, then push the two cars in next to the warehouse."
2. "Stop, unhook the two cars. Don't forget to secure the cars with the handbrake."
This simple operation requires 4 translation points.
Point 2 can be supplemented with a warning about blocking corner valves and disconnecting air hoses. The latter can be an Event tied to an Action. There is such an action in MSTS.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#7 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:18 AM

I'm perhaps a little late in responding but thanks to everyone for the responses.

As I said in my original post, I am only beginning to try my hand at activity creation so I have a lot to learn. My understanding is that by creating a path that is used in an activity you remove the need for the driver to worry that switches are properly set.. Further, my understanding is that any time during the activity the driver can execute a Ctrl-M to switch to manual mode and then can deviate from that preset path. My testing shows that to be true. I will do more testing and reading as I get deeper into the subject but at the moment I just wanted to set up a simple activity that would involve a free roam of a route with some additional loose consists in yards that the player could couple to his train and continue to roam the route. I was thinking that if the switch to manual mode could be incorporated into activity then it would be one less thing for the player to do.

My favorite route includes a limited number of activities and I would like to create more for it so I will hopefully be spending more time in activity creation and I will be able to experiment and learn more about the intricacies and nuances. That will take "some" time.

Thanks, again to all for the responses.

Paul https://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

#8 User is online   Weter 

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:48 AM

Hello, mr G.

creating a path that is used in an activity you remove the need for the driver to worry that switches are properly set

At least for mainline poerations - that's so. And ORTS advanced passing paths makes trains meeeting even more smart-arranged, and flexible.
While, activity author would be free of worries about manually resolving passing paths - the game will manage to do that for him.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users