• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activities for sherman hill route Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 November 2023 - 10:40 AM

Now I'm just asking this out of curiosity since I don't have this route, but were any activities for this route released PUBLICLY on trainsim.com or anywhere else?

Yes I know dieselswest probably had some under his club thing, but since those were never public they shouldn't really count in the context of this question.

#2 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 November 2023 - 11:03 AM

Since it never was fully signaled or even finished, not really.

I recall Melanie working with SLI/TSN to create a rolling stock for the route, similar to the Feather River set they created. If there was something at DW, it was homegrown.

#3 User is online   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 28 November 2023 - 01:14 PM

I have 6 activities for Sherman hill from 2016.
They were originally posted to trainsim.com

https://www.trainsim...search-filename

Place sherman in the search box

#4 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 November 2023 - 03:52 PM

There were four activities for Sherman Hill, released through Diesels West, using DW equipment. I have been meaning to log on to the DW members area and if I do I'll ask if I can upload them. You can always substitute equipment, making sure to keep the weight, horsepower, and TE consistent for each players consist.

#5 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler

Posted 28 November 2023 - 06:11 PM

Hopefully, you can get them uploaded to trainsim.com. It would sure be a very welcome surprise.

Didn't dieselswest also have modern era activities for feather river? Those are the only modern era ones I know about for that route anyway.

#6 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

Posted 28 November 2023 - 08:35 PM

View Postengmod, on 28 November 2023 - 01:14 PM, said:

I have 6 activities for Sherman hill from 2016.

Glad to be corrected, although the issue still remains that it's an incomplete route for now.

I've pushed as much as I can regarding finishing up the route and getting the 3DT storefront back up and running. The offers to help with both are heard & understood, but getting things moving may take a while.

#7 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:25 AM

Let me say a few things about Sherman Hill. It's so sad that this route was not completed. It's obvious that a large amount of effort was made to make this route as close to the prototype as possible. I lived in SE Wyoming for several years and I got very familiar with Sherman Hill, Laramie, and Cheyenne during that time. Unlike so many routes, many of the buildings, etc. that were built for the route were not "stand-ins," but were models of actual existing buildings that were there in the 2000-2010 timeframe. A lot of the vegetation was also accurate for the area. Really, the route is far along toward completion. Some areas need more scenery objects, roads, etc. added and there are a lot of missing textures on buildings, etc., but the trackwork, etc. is pretty solid. It's too bad that good route builders and route enhancers like Sean of Shasta and Mullan fame, Neil Keenan, etc. couldn't have a crack at finishing out this route at some point.

Sherman is one of the routes where I can actually feel like I'm standing trackside at the prototype route--in this case a prototype route that I knew well. And, yes, I know Sherman is available (I have it) on TS20XX, but I just can't get enthused about TS20XX's rolling stock, physics, and business model.

#8 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:37 AM

Funnily enough, sherman hill for train sim was partially done by 3dtrains! It was released oh so long ago and still holds up extremely well. There's some nice locos with really good physics you can run on it, such as the UP SD40-2s from searchlight simulations and the various UP steam locomotives made by smokebox, but that's kinda where it ends.

#9 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:49 AM

View PostUnoriginal, on 29 November 2023 - 07:37 AM, said:

Funnily enough, sherman hill for train sim was partially done by 3dtrains! It was released oh so long ago and still holds up extremely well. There's some nice locos with really good physics you can run on it, such as the UP SD40-2s from searchlight simulations and the various UP steam locomotives made by smokebox, but that's kinda where it ends.

Yup, and in my conversations with Melanie, she was inclined to finish both "eventually"

#10 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:41 AM

Both? The railworks version came out years ago, around 2013 or so. It'll be cool to see the open rails version completed someday.

3dtrains did have an unfinished Tehachapi route for train sim classic, so maybe your thinking of that one.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users