• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Markers markers visible in ORTS Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   landnrailroader 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 22 November 2023 - 04:36 PM

For those of us that develop new routes would it be possible to provide an option so that when testing a route that is under construction, the routes markers could be seen either as a sign by the track or in a scrolling window. Today I was testing a route that I had laid track for to help another simmer and it occurred to me that since no interactives were present yet it was pretty much a guess as to where some irregularity that I needed to fix was really located. And to make matters worse there seemed to be no correlation between the coordinates displayed in running ORTS and those used by TSRE.

J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from Southern & CSX)
retired docent - C&TSRR :derisive:

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:31 PM

TSRE does display markers if that would help. The OR Track viewer might do that as well.

#3 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 November 2023 - 10:37 PM

Along those lines, it would be most useful to be able to drop a marker in-game to flag irregularities.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 22 November 2023 - 11:38 PM

View Posteolesen, on 22 November 2023 - 10:37 PM, said:

Along those lines, it would be most useful to be able to drop a marker in-game to flag irregularities.

Good idea.

I use a set of push pin objects, several colors, and I stick them in as needed when in a world editor. I forget how tall they are... I suppose in the range of 20-30m so I can't miss them.

Attached Image: Pin.jpg

The ESD_Display_Level is set high so they can be easily suppressed when running OR or left to display so I can take note of the problem in-game. What I cannot do is quickly jump to one. I can find it in the world file and in TSRE jump to that location but (OH MY!) that's a two step process.

#5 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 November 2023 - 07:42 AM

I thought the TSRE nav pane had an option to select the marker and jump to it. Not at my PC but I know there was some form of jumping supported for KML and maybe MKR files...

But I think Jerry's quandary is being able to identify a location within the simulator when doing test runs.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 23 November 2023 - 12:53 PM

View Posteolesen, on 23 November 2023 - 07:42 AM, said:

But I think Jerry's quandary is being able to identify a location within the simulator when doing test runs.

Indeed.

What I do in such situations is hit the pause button and take a screenshot. My setup allows me to put the captured image into IRFAN so I can save it where I want with a name that is meaningful (e.g., bad joint). If I'm busy I'll relocate the screen shot and drop a push pin so it catches my eye when I have more time to fix whatever it was about.

Of course Jerry's request for a marker is far more efficient but pending that feature's arrival it's little tips and tricks that have to serve.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users