• You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced Track Monitor (Elevation, PTC, Etc) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 16 November 2023 - 05:14 AM

Hi,

Has anyone or developer ever wondered or the wants of a new advanced track monitor or separate additions away from editing the original current?

I have seen other simulators have a horizontal track monitor so users can see elevation ahead. I even see ORTS elevation grades, curves, speeds in the track path chart editor. Can that be converted to a web server instrument or even a side addition while in sim?

I'm not looking too deep in PTC performance but can provide info what calculations it does when it's initialized mode to reduce accidents at a penalty rate. I'm just looking for a tool to demonstrate what's ahead when it comes to curves, elevation, signal heads, Milepost etc. I have certain modes where not all performance needs to put disciplines.

Mode:
Simple: Current monitoring performance but Horizontal with additional features to see what's ahead and behind depending on manual or activity mode or direction. Some can choose to continue to see signal indication color or turn it off shift+F4?

Partial: Same as above but Projected warnings ahead to get operator chances to adjust to conditions ahead without discipline actions.

Advanced: Basicly this is similar to what PTC does calculating projected conditions depending on operator and train handling. It basicly calculates all on board operative max brake force to stop your train on a dime at a penalty application rate from passing a signal at danger or speed limit change if it senses your projected speed distance exceeds 5mph. Warning distance pops up 1 minute prior to change, Stopping distance is the penalty stop before danger.

Example what I'm looking for from another simulator.

Attached Image: Screenshot_20231115-210505_Gallery.jpg

What does others think of this improvement and need for ORTS?

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 November 2023 - 06:39 AM

The TrackViewer can create a JSon file showing the path's profile. The data contains height and gradient against positions. It would not be too difficult to use that data for display of the path elevation or gradient in a extended track viewer window.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 November 2023 - 07:24 AM

This sounds very good. Dare I request again something more basic. Please can we show distant signal aspects in the track monitor. It is only a choice of yellow or green. (Yellow only in the case of a fixed distant).

#4 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:22 PM

Whether it's distant signal, speed or named point for some railroads it's a good tool needed for training besides looking at a grade chart an paper all the time for a beginner on a route.

Penalty or emergency stopping distance from passing a signal or exceeding speed at danger that exceeds 5 MPH is what is helpful for PTC as well as warning distance but the track layout an grade are more helpful at gaining skill knowing what's up ahead.

Attached Image: IMG_20240321_043551_442.jpg

Attached Image: IMG_20240316_002439_553.jpg

Attached Image: IMG_20240216_041042_901.jpg

Attached Image: IMG_20240216_024638_060.jpg

Is a similar layout like the above come to interest if we are trying to make realism , safety, braking skill etc a realism over any other sim? Using ORTS content an MSTS legacy for better graphics is one thing but getting asked by a beginner or demonstration visitor "where are signals and how do we know where hills are to control train, can I get away with speeding an derail on purpose?" If ORTS doesn't want to show dangers of visuals then this is my needed excuse to prove it won't show an train will stop on a high speed mainline dime at danger rather then in 10mph an under yard less impact visuals at danger.

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 25 March 2024 - 01:04 PM

A Grade Chart is an excellent addition. I've always wished someone would code Grade Charts into the simulator.
Why wait to integrate a grade chart into the cabview....load it into the OR Web Interface.

#6 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:59 PM

Another thing that would be nice is displaying the location of whistle posts and road crossings on routes so equipped. If you're currently in the #3, #4, #5 or #6 view, or the camera is not facing the direction of movement, then sometimes they're easy to miss.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users