Tsection version logged in the OR logfile Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 13 November 2023 - 09:18 AM

Hi Team,

Could I get the global tsection version logged in the OR logfile to assist with debugging please?

#2 User is online   Peter B. 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 November 2023 - 07:12 AM

Hi Derek,

I'm afraid that logging the tsection version is not possible. There was never any provision for "real" versioning of this file: Microsoft/Kuju probably assumed that this would not be necessary, as they expected the builtin track elements to be sufficient for any route builder and thus never anticipated there would be newer versions with additional elements. So, they didn't provide any official section to place a version info, apart from comments.

And this is the situation we have now: if there is any version info contained in a tsection file it might be in any place and any format, thus automatically extracting this information for logging isn't really feasible.

I dimly remember that I once saw a table where someone brave had taken to the herculean task of listing the number and range of tracksections for every version of the tsection file known/available at that time to facilitate determining the version of any unknown tsection file, but currently I can't remember where that table was listed or hosted.

Regards, Peter

EDIT: after checking several tsection files I must apologize and stand corrected: if there is any version information it is contained in an "_INFO (Build 000xx )" entry in the second line of the file. So, automatic version logging seems possible.

EDIT2: typo fixed

#3 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 14 November 2023 - 12:02 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info.

I am hoping we can get the version number in the log.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users