• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking to buy a new monitor Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 November 2023 - 10:29 AM

For my aging eyes--just had my birthday yesterday, I'm now "way over the hill!--I'm looking at getting a bigger computer monitor than the 27 inch monitor that I have now. I'm considering a 32 inch monitor, with my current monitor being used as a second monitor for the Dispatch window, etc. and the 32 inch for the main OR window. So, my questions are:
  • What window size--1920x1080 or 2560x1440?
  • What refresh rate, resolution, and response time would work best for OR?

Does anyone have recommendations of any brands to flat out avoid? I currently have an Asus monitor that has served me well, but I've also used HP and Dell monitors with good luck, also.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

#2 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 November 2023 - 11:10 AM

The prices on QHD monitors is getting compelling.

We have them at work, and I can't see myself going lower than a pair of 2560 QHD capable.

#3 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 06 November 2023 - 11:26 AM

Hi Wade,

I have been running a 32 inch 4k ( 3840 x 2160 ) Samsung monitor for 3 years.

My monitor is only 30 Hz, it is quite slow in gaming terms, but OR does not move very fast.

I run OR at 2560 x 1600 in a window so I can get the map on the screen with OR.

I run the text size ( right click on the empty screen, display settings ) at 125% so my old eyes can see the text on the screen.

#4 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 06 November 2023 - 12:24 PM

A decent 32" TV from Walmart will run OR just fine.
Or better yet a 50.

Randy

#5 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 06 November 2023 - 12:40 PM

Howdy !

I have been using a 43 " 4K TV at 3840x2160 since 2008 with no problems what so ever .

Windows and ORTS both accept the resolution , FPS and sound . I prefer a 120hz or 60hz without the TV using the adaptive method .

You can still get higher FPS with games without stutter or any other problems . You don't need a extremely expensive TV and still get more bang for your buck than a monitor .

Just a Thought !

#6 User is offline   Jack@Elvas 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:All

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:59 AM

View Postrailguy, on 06 November 2023 - 10:29 AM, said:

For my aging eyes--just had my birthday yesterday, I'm now "way over the hill!--I'm looking at getting a bigger computer monitor than the 27 inch monitor that I have now. I'm considering a 32 inch monitor, with my current monitor being used as a second monitor for the Dispatch window, etc. and the 32 inch for the main OR window. So, my questions are:
  • What window size--1920x1080 or 2560x1440?
  • What refresh rate, resolution, and response time would work best for OR?

Does anyone have recommendations of any brands to flat out avoid? I currently have an Asus monitor that has served me well, but I've also used HP and Dell monitors with good luck, also.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Generally speaking, I like the color rendition of monitors with "IPS" panels over the ones using "VA" panels, you'll also notice that "IPS" based monitors cost a little more.
Asus, as you noted, is decent, Dell doesn't make their own monitors, but they do have a good reputation. LG monitors have done well for me personally.
I'd avoid brand names you've not heard of, stuff from ebay. etc...

If you're near OverlandPark, there's a Microcenter store there, and they'll have tons on display.

Resolution at 32", I would think you'd really want to be looking at 4k but this can present a problem - the higher the resolution the harder it is on your system.
So you have to somewhat be aware of what GPU hardware you have and what it's capable of - a 2560x1440 32" might be a better fit with a lower end GPU.
FPS wise, I think 60 is the sweet spot - below that, using the mouse feels laggy, above 60 is wonderful, but you're adding $$$$ to your monitor and GPU cost, for a very marginal improvement in the "smoothness of motion" category.

Above that, there are lots of people who report using TV's and those are super cheap right now as black Friday approaches.
I don't find TV's great for day to day work, but a huge TV would be quite majestic with something like open rails.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users