Elvas Tower: The lack of sound warnings in timetable mode - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The lack of sound warnings in timetable mode (a humble wish to concept's authors) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 November 2023 - 12:31 AM

Hello.
Forgive me, if this question have been discussed already, at first.

Now - to the subject itself.
Timetable mode does give us remarkable, real-life-like shunting capabilities... Except the sounds.
Have Anyone seen train maneuvers without warning signals (honks), issued by shunting engines to warn everybody around about potentially-lethal actions beginning: movement of rolling stock, brakes testing/charging/releasing; or to confirm commands, issued by switchmen, conductor or yard master?
"Sounds" quite unrealistic, eh?

I've read, location events and path points are not supported features in timetable mode so far, alas.
But are there any other ways (new kind of control commands, for instance), for "telling" AI trains to sound their horns&whistles?

I ask Robert and other devs to think about that for a pair of minutes: this gonna be a great improvement, as someone would manage, how to make that available.

Thanks for reading.

#2 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 November 2023 - 03:18 PM

I agree location events would be very useful in tt mode. And not just loco sounds, instructions, and information pop ups. Even maps or historical pics on a 2nd monitor. We can hope that Rob will be able to resume his tt mode update.
I would also like to gently remind Devs that the convergence of activity and tt modes were once on the OR roadmap. Is this still the case?
Rick

#3 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 06 November 2023 - 01:20 AM

In my view, the inclusion of Waiting Points and Location Events in a train's path was a major mistake in MSTS.
Paths is where trains go, Waiting Points and Location Events is what trains need to do, and these need to be kept separate.
For instance, using a Waiting Point to make trains whistle at a certain location would mean that this WP would need to be set in all paths for all trains passing that location, whereas if it were a proper location item (like a signal), just one would do. On the other hand, if you have just one train required to whistle do to a specific action, the path of that train could not be used for any other train.
Regarding whistles at a specific location, my intention is to introduce a 'signal' which such a function. However, before this can be done properly the Track Circuit logic needs to be revised (reasons for this are too complicated to explain it all here and now), which is quite a major work.
Regarding whistles due to specific actions, that has not yet been included in my list.

Due to both software and hardware issues, sadly I have not been able to do any real new work on OR for many months. I hope soon to be back in business.

As for converging tt and activity - to me this looks very unlikely to ever happen. In fact, present development, either already ongoing or planned, will further diverge these two modes rather than converge.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 November 2023 - 01:32 AM

Hello, Robert!
Thanks for joining here.

these need to be kept separate.

Absolutely agree.

that has not yet been included in my list

So, what would You say about warning whistle before departure? or maneurer movement? (however, different countries/railroads have different rules)

my intention is to introduce a 'signal

That's great.

#5 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 November 2023 - 06:38 AM

Thanks Rob for your explanation. I hope in due course we will be able to have Location Events, and this was the reason why I hoped for a convergence of activity and TT modes. But it is great that you can see a better direction, even if there is more divergence.
I do hope though that your "signal" will allow more than just whistles. Once you have a "hook" ( a signal) it could be used for all sorts of output. . (pay a sound or video clip, or text popup). I`m not trying to build yet another wish list , but an instruction to play a whistle could easily play an announcement , show a pic, map , clip or other action. etc
Chris Jakeman ( I hope he won`t mind me saying) has a vision where OR might optionally run as a kind of multi media experience , using location events. Speaking to a local railway museum, they were also keen to use OR to recreate local history in this way.
All the besr, rick

#6 User is offline   देव 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 07:18 AM

Is there any workaround for the AI trains to play horns at specific points in the timetable mode? Since The horn playing through waiting point will not work in Timetable mode. I was wandering any other way is there to achieve the same.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users