Elvas Tower: Open Rails v/s Black Magic - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails v/s Black Magic Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_Hidetoshi6721_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 24 October 2023 - 10:45 PM

The barrier between the two is slowly disappearing.

Hi all!
So, I woke up today, happy, as usual. I opened Open Rails (the official one), selected a consist, selected a path for a route, and ran it. It did not load for a LONGGGGG time. Then I pressed Alt+F4 and I was greeted with "A fatal error has occurred and Open Rails cannot continue."

Then, I restarted my system, it refused to load anything at all! None of the routes load! Put simply, Open Rails has stopped working (permanently). I reinstalled OR, nothing changed. I uninstalled the past few Windows updates, nothing changed.

And as a final note, everything worked fine a day before.

​​I tried using perpetual-kid's OR fork, which did load the route. But it fails to load ALL ORTSFreightAnims. Further, everytime I open this app, I get "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. Bla bla"
​​​​​​
I don't even know what kind of a peculiar problem this is. Yesterday, I did nothing. I played the game and switched off my laptop as usual. It was also NOT connected to the internet. My system is free of viruses, Kaspersky assures that. Then what happened?

And yes, I am aware of the log file. I cannot attach it now because I'm out, but will attach it later today. Till then if anyone has any solutions, please help.

#2 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 25 October 2023 - 12:03 AM

It sounds to me like you are having a computer related problem. OR is a resource heavy application and would be more likely to stress your system.

I would do a backup of anything you don't want to lose. I would suspect hard drive/ssd, or memory fault.

I hope I am wrong.

Geoff

#3 Inactive_Hidetoshi6721_*

Posted 25 October 2023 - 06:22 AM

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (18.51K)
Number of downloads: 5

View Postmrmosky, on 25 October 2023 - 12:03 AM, said:

It sounds to me like you are having a computer related problem. OR is a resource heavy application and would be more likely to stress your system.

I would do a backup of anything you don't want to lose. I would suspect hard drive/ssd, or memory fault.

I hope I am wrong.

Geoff

Chkdsk reports no errors. Windows Memory Diagnostics reports NO errors.
I ran chkdsk /r /f, which also fixes bad sectors.

As an update, lower poly models (or those made in GMAX) work fine and routes load (thank God). But higher poly models made in Blender just don't load. I always get the error "A fatal error has occurred...".
Perhaps, by any chance, this could be a bug that OR is running in 32-bit mode on my 64-bit system and not utilising the 6 GB of RAM I have. (Just a guess, I don't have any software knowledge).

Log file attached.

#4 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 25 October 2023 - 07:14 AM

The MAX_WDM3DKalyan and it's cabview seem to be kicking up a lot of dust in the error log.
Have you tried using other equipment to eliminate those? Sometimes they overwhelm.
Also, while it's on the D drive, the location D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator, may be problematic.
You may want to move it to something like, D:\Train Simulator.

Randy

#5 Inactive_Hidetoshi6721_*

Posted 25 October 2023 - 07:34 AM

View Poststeved, on 25 October 2023 - 07:14 AM, said:

The MAX_WDM3DKalyan and it's cabview seem to be kicking up a lot of dust in the error log.
Have you tried using other equipment to eliminate those? Sometimes they overwhelm.
Also, while it's on the D drive, the location D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator, may be problematic.
You may want to move it to something like, D:\Train Simulator.

Randy

Well, it's not just that file. EVERY MODEL made with Blender is causing the same issue. This can't be normal, right?
I even tried making new consists. They don't work. I've tried my older consists (which worked absolutely fine a day before). None work.

I, again, would like to refer that perpetual-kid's OR fork works fine, but fails to load ORTSFreightAnims and also the 3DCab.

#6 Inactive_Hidetoshi6721_*

Posted 25 October 2023 - 08:20 AM

Update:

I don't know what's happening. I don't know what kind of a bug this is. So, I selected the same consist, same path, same route.
First time, I get the error. Second time, I again get the error. Same for the third and fourth times.
​​​​The fifth time, the cabview loaded properly, all ORTSFreightAnims load. Everything works.
​I HAVE TOUCHED NOTHING, NOT EVEN THE CONSIST OR PATH.

I guess, I was not wrong about OR doing black magic..
It fixed itself 😂

P.S. I was legitimately having the issues I said earlier. I don't have any intention to waste the honourable people's time here. OR is playing tricks on me.

#7 Inactive_Hidetoshi6721_*

Posted 25 October 2023 - 08:21 AM

View PostHidetoshi6721, on 25 October 2023 - 08:20 AM, said:

Update:

I don't know what's happening. I don't know what kind of a bug this is. So, I selected the same consist, same path, same route.
First time, I get the error. Second time, I again get the error. Same for the third and fourth times.
​​​​The fifth time, the cabview loaded properly, all ORTSFreightAnims load. Everything works.
​I HAVE TOUCHED NOTHING, NOT EVEN THE CONSIST OR PATH.

I guess, I was not wrong about OR doing black magic..
It fixed itself 😂

P.S. I was legitimately having the issues I said earlier. I don't have any intention to waste the honourable people's time here. OR is playing tricks on me.

Post this, ALL models work properly.

#8 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 25 October 2023 - 10:33 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about the statement; *But higher poly models made in Blender just don't load* By the time Open Rails sees a MODEL, there is no evidence remaining about the tool that *created it*.  It could just as well have been created with GMAX or 3DSMAX... Just trying to keep the record straight.

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 October 2023 - 12:35 PM

I did a TON of logical troubleshooting in my younger incarnation as an electronics tech in the USAF. We were trained to troubleshoot the problem by logical blocks.

With OR the problem is always in one of three locations ( or blocks as we were trained to call them )
1. the local block { local software and hardware }

2. OR code

--- and finally 3. the User of the software ( the local blockhead )

Open Disclosure: I have been --- too many times to count --- the local blockhead --- but I always start with operator error when I encounter a problem...rule that out and go on with the logical troubleshooting routine. I always start with the OR log.

#10 User is online   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 25 October 2023 - 01:46 PM

The MAX_WDM3DKalyan has something wrong with its throttle.
It is what caused the crash.

The crashes from large poly models is coming from "Video = AMD Radeon™ Vega 3 Graphics (2.0 GB RAM)"

2GB of video ram is not enough for high poly models.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users