• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two questions about Milw RMD East route Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 October 2023 - 11:28 AM

I've been revisiting some older MSTS routes that I haven't run in a year or more. The Milwaukee RMD East Route is one of those. Way back in 2013, I posted the following about an animated fireworks .s file used in the route:

There is a really neat fireworks .s file in the route RMD East--unfortunately, the animation does not work correctly in OR. The .s files are CH_Fwerk1.s and CH_Fwerk2.s . I believe they are from a German MSTS creator.

In MSTS the fireworks look like the real thing. A projectile going upward relatively slowly that then explodes in a fireworks burst. In OR, one only sees the projectile go up just as it does in MSTS, but then, no firework explosion and the "projectile" rapidly falls back to the ground on its same path. Then rinse and repeat.

Carlos replied that the .s file did not display correctly in ShapeViewer and that he was going to look for a solution to get the animation to work in OR. Nothing further was ever reported. I was wondering if this could possibly be revisited.

Second, in RMD East, there are several track segments in yards (mostly) that are "concrete" track segments that clearly are not prototypical. I was also wondering how one could replace these with the correct "regular" track segments without bricking the route.

Any help on either issue would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks to the OR Team for such great work.

#2 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 03 October 2023 - 12:18 PM

Don't know about the fireworks but you can change the concrete tie texture to the normal wood texture by copying and renaming ACleantrack1.ace to Concrete4.ace.
This will replace the concrete texture with regular ties.

Randy

#3 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 04 October 2023 - 07:00 AM

Unfortunately, substituting the .ace file won't work because the route is referencing the Global folder. So, if I substitute textures by renaming the "concrete" .ace file to "ACleanTrack" it will affect all of the routes that use that .s file.

#4 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 October 2023 - 07:12 AM

The Global folder only has the shapes in it.
The textures are specific to the route and are in the route's textures folder.

Randy

#5 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 04 October 2023 - 08:24 AM

Odd, my Global folder has a Texture folder and the various track textures are in it. RMD is referencing the textures in the Global folder--I tested it. Substituting textures in the RMD texture folder did nothing. I changed one in the Global Texture folder and it changed the track texture in the route.

#6 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:45 AM

I put the textures in the route's textures folder.
Don't have any textures in the global.
Attached Image: glotex.jpg
Been that way for like forever.

Randy

#7 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 11 October 2023 - 05:27 PM

View Postrailguy, on 04 October 2023 - 08:24 AM, said:

Odd, my Global folder has a Texture folder and the various track textures are in it. RMD is referencing the textures in the Global folder--I tested it. Substituting textures in the RMD texture folder did nothing. I changed one in the Global Texture folder and it changed the track texture in the route.

Those textures will be helpful if you look at track shapes with Shape Viewer. But they don't serve any other purpose. If OR looks for textures in the Global\Textures folder as a fall back, it's news to me.

#8 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 14 October 2023 - 09:07 AM

I am still wrestling with this problem. First, RMD uses Xtracks, so it is somehow referencing Global folder, so far as I can tell. I'm attaching this screenshot to show the issue.
Attached Image: TSRE RMD East screenshot.jpg

One can see the "concrete" track sections in the screenie. Why the route creator would put these track sections in the route is beyond me. I've tried substituting images in the .s file to replace the concrete sections in the Global Textures folder, and that will replace the textures, but it also will likely affect any other route that happens to call those textures, as well. Notice in the second screenshot that replacing the .dds file in one of the concrete track sections with a normal track image in the Global folder is reflected in this second screenie.
Attached Image: TSRE RMD East screenshot02.jpg

Copying the textures from the Global texture files to the route's Textures folder has no effect. Apparently, somewhere, somehow the route is "hardwired" to call the Textures from the Global Textures folder. How do I fix this without affecting other routes calling that Global folder, or without replacing track sections using TSRE in the RMD East route (the latter of which I will not do)?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks to all.

#9 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 October 2023 - 11:07 AM

The track textures go in the route's texture folder not the global.
You can copy and paste acleantrack1 and rename it concrete1.
This way any concrete track sections in the route will use modified texture.
It will only affect the track in this route and no other routes.

Randy

I read the rest of your question. You can get rid of the track textures in the global folder. They aren't needed there.

#10 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 14 October 2023 - 11:10 AM

Following analogy with what ErickC told about his modeling project and folders structure, texture files should be together with shape file, calling them.
Or (my guess) - at nearest "Textures" folder, not Global. Global will be used, if no any local files or Sound/Textures folders at all.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users