• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blackfoot 3 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 August 2023 - 05:17 PM

Blackfoot 3 remains one of my favorite routes. While the route is more faithful to its prototype than many routes, Blackfoot could easily be a surrogate for numerous places on the Great Plains of the U.S. or Canada. As my home is on the Great Plains, I just have an affinity for routes like Blackfoot, just as I have a affinity for mountain routes and railroads, as I also have lived in mountain areas. Farming, ranching, and petroleum/natural gas production are big industries in the region where I live, just as they are on Blackfoot. Blackfoot also is a "dark" railroad, operated under Track Warrant control, where things are bit more bucolic than on busy mainlines. So, I've tried to capture that in these screenshots.

Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-26 18-01-37a.jpg
Today's Lloydminster local has been working on all morning switching grain elevators and oil loading facilities between Lloydminster and Lashburn. It has 6-exle power today (including a scruffy borrowed CP AC4400), as its train was nearly 50 cars long leaving Lloydminster earlier; it will be picking up a similar number of cars on its return trip to Lloydminster. The RTC has put them in the siding at Lashburn to meet a westbound manifest coming out of North Battleford. The RTC told the crew that they would be there for a couple of hours, so the crew has tied down their locomotives on the siding and walked across the highway to a gas station/convenience store to get some snacks and refreshments on this hot August day.

Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-21 14-05-03a.jpg
The westbound that the local is waiting for has its distributed power loco photographed as it travels across the prairies. There can be long trains on Blackfoot, especially during grain movement season. Two locomotives are usually sufficient, one on the head end and one mid-train DP, on Blackfoot's relatively gentle grades. There is a paucity of sidings on Blackfoot long enough for these lengthy trains, so shorter locals and freights usually have to clear for the long trains.

Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-23 10-49-20a.jpg
Here the DP at mid-train is seen again, with both the train and the prairie and skies stretching toward the horizon.

I hope that you enjoyed these screenshots. Screenies were unretouched renderings from OpenRails, using Reshade.

#2 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 27 August 2023 - 04:05 AM

Stunning! Thank you for sharing.

Is Blackfoot version 3 available somewhere to download?

While searching, I did find: ORTS Route--CN Blackfoot Summer Edition v1. Is that the one?

Thank you

KevinB

#3 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:01 AM

^Yes, that is what is often referred to as "Blackfoot 3." It is a shortened version of the original Blackfoot Route, but is much more accurate to the prototype, with much better scenery objects. Rory Rice built many custom building etc. that actually model real structures along the route. Some of the refinery and petroleum facilities are just amazing, too. Here are a few screenies showing that, plus one just showing the scenery detail out in farm/ranch country on the route.
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-24 15-40-28a.jpg
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-21 15-18-40a.jpg
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-24 15-40-48a.jpg
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-24 13-26-49a.jpg
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-24 15-55-03a.jpg

One final note about my screenshot of the SD75i in the first post of screenshots. That model was done by Grant Culbert way back in 2004. It is, yet today, one of the most exquisite models ever made for MSTS. The particular one my screenshot is a personal renumber of Grant's model that renumbered several years ago. Back in those early days of MSTS, I could only run one of these models per activity or it would crash my computer. Now, it runs happily with whatever in OpenRails.

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:12 AM

Especially like one, with a road and hay rolls on it.
But at first post you've mentioned ac4400...
Thanks for continuation, scenery and stock look really great!

#5 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 27 August 2023 - 01:17 PM

^I was referring to the "scruffy" Canadian Pacific AC4400 (CP 9505) trailing the SD75i in the first post. It's an SLI repaint available on TrainSim. Here is a screenie showing it.
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-08-26 18-02-14a.jpg

#6 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 August 2023 - 01:43 PM

I'm a fan of this route. I was testing my replacement model for Jeff's FMC 4700 on it earlier:

Attached Image: 02.jpg

Attached Image: 03.jpg

Attached Image: 04.jpg

Attached Image: 05.jpg

Attached Image: 06.jpg

Attached Image: 07.jpg

#7 User is offline   bennycdn 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OPENRAILS/RUN8

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:28 AM

Wish we had an easier Activity Editor like the MSTS version, this new TSRE is a joke. I think that's all that is holding Open rails back.
You see very few activities any more, my opinion,that's why I evolved to RUN8.

#8 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:56 AM

I didn't even think TSRE even had an activity editor. If anything was made I'd hope it would be along the lines of the train simulator classic scenario editor (I've never used the msts one).

Also great screenshots eric.

#9 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 28 August 2023 - 12:04 PM

The TSRE Activity Editor has some clunky parts and has some bugs, but I use it in conjunction with the OR Trackviewer to create my activities. I have not used MSTS for anything since about 2013. I will also use ConText to do some editing of the various activity files (.trf, .act, .srv ) at times.

#10 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 17 September 2023 - 01:24 PM

Herewith is some more Blackfoot. As often happens on secondary lines, older power--sometimes borrowed or leased--is used on low priority or local trains. So, in such fashion, here are some screenies with borrowed or leased power--with some of them being personal re-numbers or my fictional "WWHX" lease locomotives.

Here is the local at Lashburn once again, this time with some borrowed NS power.
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-09-09 13-28-13a.jpg

An eastbound local with a GMTX lease unit, and ex-CSX GECX unit, and a borrowed NS unit approaches the west end of Lloydminster
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-09-12 20-30-58a.jpg

A moment later, it passes the ADM Lloydminster plant, with the ADMX switcher patiently waiting.
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-09-12 20-31-51a.jpg

On a cooler, cloudier late August day, another train with borrowed/leased power heads westbound over Blackfoot, this train with GMTX, borrowed BNSF, and WWHX power.
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-09-16 15-17-48a.jpg
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-09-16 15-23-52a.jpg

Finally, an eastbound ballast train is shown with a now very rare WWHX ex-CSX AC6000 and an equally rare ex-CNW WWHX SD40-2 retrieved, at least temporarily from the scrap heap.
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-09-17 15-11-08a.jpg
Attached Image: RunActivity 2023-09-17 15-13-36a.jpg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users